finally got around to doing this

IMG_1667.jpg

one hour later...

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

no damage done yet (as far as I know). I've run into a problem though... I can't tell what the color codes mean on these resistors. They're different from the ones I usually work with, and ... they don't make sense. It seems like some are missing completely.

fml. not finishing it today i guess.

done

IMG_1672.jpg

as expected, there was an epic fail towards the end....wired the DC jack inside the pedal. :facepalm: oh well, it's easy enough to correct

yes, i realize the wire runs are unnecessarily long

it works, except the tone controls don't really do anything. need to look into that.

boom. got it working 100%

IMG_1674.jpg

pretty sure the treble pot was touching the circuit board when it wasn't supposed to.

switch doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all, but otherwise it seems to work properly.

and i had to customize it somehow...

BYOC_fet_booster.jpg

James it's time to start up your own pedal company, you are far above the quality of companies like Death By Audio. (they sorted their stuff out later but in the first 1-2 years they were unbelievable (in a wrong way))

(btw get fancier knobs from the ohnoguy here http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/ )

What's this about death by audio being unbelievable in a wrong way? is there some drama I don't know about? :ninja:

still, i would have to find a better location than an old sugar factory...which really won't be easy

What's this about death by audio being unbelievable in a wrong way? is there some drama I don't know about? :ninja:

still, i would have to find a better location than an old sugar factory...which really won't be easy

abandoned asylum? missile silo? an old brewery? shiet i think i'd go with the last one, i am mega jelly of the american microbrewery scene.

i'll try to find some pics about the old dba pedals

edit:

harmonic transformer

lel

31f29261.jpg

hmm, what should i do, give you some tips or just wait a week till you relist it for nearly free:LOL:

btw you will need a digital multimeter (if you wanna cheap out you can get them for 15-20 from dx.com) and an audio probe, (the cheapest solution would be just a simple cable plugged in your amp and you touch the other end of the cable to the appropiate places of the circuit though the tip will probably won't be sharp/small enough) that is the minimum and pray that it is made of through hole parts and not SMD plus a schem would be good

edit: once you got it and checked out the usual things and it is still bad i can tell a thing or two about debugging

ok cool

i already have a digital multimeter anyway. i'm hoping it's a simple fix...and not an irreplaceable chip that's snapped in half or something like that.

Looking like a sweet project. The DIY bug has hit you

Also, most chips are replacable anyway. :LOL:

wait a sec guize, isn't that a DSP pedlol? if that's the case, it might not be a simple fix.

It is but I believe the problem may either be mechanical (bad switch) or wiring/soldering. If it is the digital type chips then you might be up for some trouble but we shall see...

i don't know - were pedlols that complicated in the 80's?

also. identify the circuit. or not...?

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1683.jpgIMG_1688.jpgIMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

no idea if it's actually a modded rat or not. doesn't sound ANYTHING like a rat to me anyway.

both ceramic caps (one is impossible to see) are labeled "103" and the box cap is 220n (I think...it says 220nK on it)

i hope it still works after i tore it apart like that...will find out soon.

i can't find out what those transistors are unfortunately. it would pretty much require removing them and putting them under a magnifying glass.

there is also another box cap, but i didn't check the value. i couldn't see about 1/4 of the board properly

there's also that cap and diode (?) going to the drive control.

edit:

wait, it's just grounded there. it goes to the switch.

Archived