actually, I didn't have it on long enough when I first finished it to see if it was fading. it could have had that problem but I might not have noticed it

and I'm using the 2N5457 as it says in the layout. my first thought was something was being grounded to the enclosure, but the board is almost half an inch off the enclosure (mounted with some plastic standoffs I found). I also moved the wires around, checked all the connections, etc... couldn't figure it out.

Maybe the battery is low? Once i fucked up a footswitch by overheating it during soldering' date=' maybe the same thing happened there. You need to make that shit work, there are not too much components and stuff to screw up.[/quote']

already tried a different battery, and that's entirely possible. installed it in two different pedals, and nearly melted it both times!

just waiting for the new 2N5457s to get here before I can try again. I wired it correctly (I think) with the master volume, switched a few resistors out (these are 1% tolerance military spec, for extra man points) and just put a new switch in as well

IMG_1794.jpg

you can tell the board is getting a bit damaged from all this troubleshooting!

and i might put another pot in that extra space, but i don't know what. input gain? bias?

I think there is not too much modding potential left there. Maybe you can try a pot instead of that 22k for misbiased shitty sounds. (i am not sure what would happen)

Or get a DPDT switch for a switchable small input cap for treble booster sounds.

Or get a 3PDT to switch between different FETs.

Or put switchable clipping diodes on the output for switchable overdriven sounds.

Not really having luck with those Alpha pots are you? Hopefully a swap works out.

nope, but it seems like one of the rivets holding the lugs in isn't tight enough, causing it to fade out somehow. i used a wooden toothpick to poke around in there, and that was the only thing that made the sound come back (plus i just spent the morning rebuilding it from the ground up, except for the pots - all other components are new)

finished...for now

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

i realize it's a little messier than how it was before, but i did rebuild from the ground up with new parts. only stuff saved was the wire and battery clip

how does it sound?

it's certainly loud, but i don't know about the tone. it's a bit harsh. could that be from those inferior tantalum caps? i didn't get to use my yellow film cap of mojo as one of the legs snapped off :supersad: the electrolytic i didn't bother saving as it was an old one and might have been dried out

it gets a good bit of overdrive on its own as well. the master volume isn't THAT useful though

i wouldn't mind adding a tone control of some sort, but i'll do that another day

I am pretty sure that tantalums can't make it harsh. Once i made a booster which looked pretty good on paper but it sounded too glassy/brittle/harsh in real life and i don't know why. It's a shame because it was my best looking build probably.

At that time i thought that my preamp tube sounds shit driven but i think it was not the amp's fault. Can you try it with more amps?

I am pretty sure that tantalums can't make it harsh. Once i made a booster which looked pretty good on paper but it sounded too glassy/brittle/harsh in real life and i don't know why. It's a shame because it was my best looking build probably.

At that time i thought that my preamp tube sounds shit driven but i think it was not the amp's fault.

i don't think it's necessarily my amp. it just has this harsh quality to it. maybe it's the actual circuit then?

would it be worth switching out the tantalums for some other types of caps like i had before?

Ou

would it be worth switching out the tantalums for some other types of caps like i had before?

for science

it can be the circuit, a lot of boosters got famous for the ability of making dark sounding amps brighter, probably your amp is bright enough on it's own

they shouldn't mess with the treble though, ideally the circuit should just give more o your guitar's sound, opamp based boosters are probably better at that

• 1 month later...

Just build the Bazz Fuss, not the deluxe and enjoy the tone it gives you... You only need one knob.

But jokes aside, I love that fuzz. I built it on a breadboard to try different things on it. Surprisingly, my favourite diode to use was a red LED but the standard single 1N914 is brilliant as well. Use those two in your diode switch since they'll be the ones that have the most dramatic differences in sound.

Now, are you intending to use this on guitar or bass? I ask this now because the one I have is for bass and on guitar it really is just too low to cover guitar (not sub low, you'll understand when you build it). If you want to know what to change...

As with many circuits, the input capacitor value has a large effect on the sound. I've tried everything between 4.7uF and .0047uF, and for my tastes, as the diode voltage increases the cap value should decrease. I like the brighter sound of a .047uF. The original really sounds great with the low end menace of a 4.7uF input cap.

Personally, if I wasn't sure what I was using it on, I'd use a 1uF for middle ground purposes to play it safe. My bass one has the 4.7uF and it's not exactly the best on guitar other than fat low riffs :happy:

Also, do follow the later variants and use a MPSA13 or equivalent for the transistor. You will thank me later.

tl/dr Build the deluxe. Use a 1N914 and a red LED as the diodes in the switch, use a 1uf cap (you can swap later, the 2.2uF might be fine) and the MPSA13 as the transistor.

http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

There is that too, but I wouldn't be trying to over over-complicate it for a first build.

Personally, Id whack a Big Muff Pi tonestack in there if I did want to step it up. Actually, there's a variant where all the gain stages of a BMP were replaced with that fuzz.

Crowella, you should do some sound samples of your finished pedals, might make some money if I like it :shifty:

If you can hold out a few weeks, I can. I'm working all I can to get a new audio interface, monitors, mics, etc; Actually can say that I'm finally happy with my bass tone with the new amp and the P-bass so samples on the way.

Here's one I did anyway with my EA Tremolo. So excited I didn't tune the guitar :p This pedal is a really nice warm sounding pedal. Some don't even use it as a tremolo but rather a warm boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3SVyFjPSYs

This is how it looks now, with a blinking blue LED which made the sweep more subtle.

383160_10151056163935122_285986032_n.jpg

I'll gladly wait, bought some expensive gear so won't have the cash atm.

That's fine. I don't have the time to build them these days.

Last thing I wanted to build was a Fliptop-esque drive (like the VT Bass or Bass Driver DI). Oddly enough that went out the window when I actually bought the amp based on the old fliptops and love the tone.

Still would like to get an Animato, degoop it as well as I can, schematic and clone it. :ninja:

EDIT: Just realised, I really still want a blend pedal so I can mix clean and dirt together. :)

Archived