Pick up type by song

bj.mort

So it could be fun and helpful to others to list songs and what type of guitar pickup and position is used for each so people can better recreate the tones. Once we have a general consensus we can collage into a single post.

I’ll get started with an initial list.

Single coil

- animals (neck position)

- the globalist (neck clean, bridge distorted)

Humbucker

- hysteria (bridge)

- Time is running out (bridge)

- Stockholm syndrome (bridge)

- falling away with you

- TSP (bridge)

- fury (bridge)

- thoughts of a dying atheist (bridge)

- sing for absolution (bridge)

- butterflies and hurricanes (bridge)

- new born (bridge)

- bliss (bridge)

- hyper music (bridge)

- plug in baby (bridge)

- citizen erased (bridge)

- take a bow (bridge)

- starlight (bridge)

- supermassive nlack hole (bridge)

- map of the problematique (bridge)

- Assassin (bridge)

- resistance (bridge)

- guiding light (bridge)

- supremacy

- madness

- survival

- liquid state

- unsustainable

- dead inside

- psycho

- mercy

- reapers

- the handler

- revolt

P90

- black out (neck)

- invincible (dual bridge)

- exo politics (bridge)

- hoodoo (neck)

- knights of cydonia (bridge)

- uprising (neck)

- unnatural selection (bridge)

- defector (bridge)

- micro cuts (neck)

- mk ultra (dual bridge)

Edited by bjmort

Isn’t the resistance mainly MBk2 I remember reading an article where humans and said that Matt specifically requested that pick up during the recording of that album

Wasn’t it during recording for bh&r that Hugh went to whatever studio in France and changed all of MB’s pickups? Think I know which article you mean though.

Wasn’t it during recording for bh&r that Hugh went to whatever studio in France and changed all of MB’s pickups? Think I know which article you mean though.

Yeah BH&R the motherbuckers and rio grandes went for BK. Part of why the original Delorean got retired because he didn't want to change it IIRC

I have moved mk ultra to dual bridge p90 but I still think resistance is humbucker

Remember he could have used more than one guitar. Which he did. Strat (supposedly the aloha, which has those low output lace pickups) on the pre-chorus bits, and one of his customs on the more distorted parts. Not sure which one.

Listening to the album isn't the best way to tell. Better to find the isolated tracks (if they exist) but that still doesn't give a definitive answer.

...What guitar was used to record citizen erased?

From musewiki:

"Citizen Erased is the only song where the 7 String E Guitar is used. Coincidentally, it is assumed a six-string was used to record this song, thought to be the Delorean, as a Fuzz Factory is featured in the solo, and early photos of said guitar show a bass string in place of the low E string, in order to accommodate drop A tuning. Matt owned both guitars at the time of recording, so it can't be said for sure which guitar(s) he used."

Remember he could have used more than one guitar. Which he did. Strat (supposedly the aloha, which has those low output lace pickups) on the pre-chorus bits, and one of his customs on the more distorted parts. Not sure which one.

Listening to the album isn't the best way to tell. Better to find the isolated tracks (if they exist) but that still doesn't give a definitive answer.

Enit, like Uprising sounds a lot like either MQ 007 or another p90 (black kaoss) for the most part, then a neck LP for the riff and then live he just tends to use guitars with humbuckers in.

Don't quite see the point in this thread. Like I get the purpose, but it just seems a bit pointless

Enit, like Uprising sounds a lot like either MQ 007 or another p90 (black kaoss) for the most part, then a neck LP for the riff and then live he just tends to use guitars with humbuckers in.

Don't quite see the point in this thread. Like I get the purpose, but it just seems a bit pointless

enit

If you're referring to the studio videos, that gives a good idea of what was used, but doesn't necessarily mean it ended up on the actual track.

That is true about live stuff though. He could be using something completely different.

No harm in leaving it for now, although it's a bit worrying that K&T seems to be one of the most active areas on the board now...

enit

If you're referring to the studio videos, that gives a good idea of what was used, but doesn't necessarily mean it ended up on the actual track.

That is true about live stuff though. He could be using something completely different.

No harm in leaving it for now, although it's a bit worrying that K&T seems to be one of the most active areas on the board now...

Deffo sounds like it though. Definitely reckon that LP made the recording and a lot of BH&R and TR has that p90 MQ/black kaoss tone

• 4 weeks later...
So it could be fun and helpful to others to list songs and what type of guitar pickup and position is used for each so people can better recreate the tones. Once we have a general consensus we can collage into a single post.

I’ll get started with an initial list.

Single coil

- animals (neck position)

- the globalist (neck clean, bridge distorted)

Humbucker

- hysteria (bridge)

- Time is running out (bridge)

- Stockholm syndrome (bridge)

- falling away with you

- TSP (bridge)

- fury (bridge)

- thoughts of a dying atheist (bridge)

- sing for absolution (bridge)

- butterflies and hurricanes (bridge)

- new born (bridge)

- bliss (bridge)

- hyper music (bridge)

- plug in baby (bridge)

- citizen erased (bridge)

- take a bow (bridge)

- starlight (bridge)

- supermassive nlack hole (bridge)

- map of the problematique (bridge)

- Assassin (bridge)

- resistance (bridge)

- guiding light (bridge)

- supremacy

- madness

- survival

- liquid state

- unsustainable

- dead inside

- psycho

- mercy

- reapers

- the handler

- revolt

P90

- black out (neck)

- invincible (dual bridge)

- exo politics (bridge)

- hoodoo (neck)

- knights of cydonia (bridge)

- uprising (neck)

- unnatural selection (bridge)

- defector (bridge)

- micro cuts (neck)

- mk ultra (dual bridge)

Plug In Baby uses P90 in the bridge of the Mirror manson, if were talking how it's played live, which is the only way we hear it now.

• 3 weeks later...

He hardly ever uses the single coil, seems a bit pointless.

Not sure why he does not just use humbucker bridge and p-90 neck for his main current guitars.

I know there's the sustainer but even then how often does that get used?