Niles, I blister like crazy too, no matter how much I play to harden my hands up. Blisters are obviously the signs of a good drummer :rolleyes:

That's got to be it, I'm weak though, I play in gloves now no matter how poncy it looks.

Jesus, I haven't even broken a stick yet.

I feel like such a youngling.

hehe, when I started playing I thought I'd use the same pair of sticks throughout my career. :LOL:

Don't argue Adam, he can play literally all the songs.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxDJNO19Sdo&mode=related&search=

From 3:28 to 4:00 it's one of the two phrases that compose the Ruled By Secrecy beat.

haha KOC?

He's a bloody brilliant drummer! Never seen him like that before! I've heard dreamtheatre stuff but never seen any.

I'd say he's better than Travis Barker.

(tho he uses double pedal :indiff:)

Dya recon that beat is a coincidence?

And on the subject of blisters....i get them (a lot less now than i used to) but they never bled! :eek:

Well that song Biaxident is off an album by Portnoy's side project Liquid Tension Experiment that was released four years before Absolution. Since Dom never cited LTE or MP as one of his influences I'd say coincidence. It is just a fairly basic 6/8 rhythm with swung accents, too.

(tho he uses double pedal )

Well perfection is awfully difficult to attain, especially now Jon Theodore's dropped off the face of the earth.

No, Starclassic Mirage. no, 6.5" depth snares. BTW I only put the Yamaha brass on the Muse Wiki because you can see it in the TIRO video clip, it's a rental instrument. I like your sig, I have it in poster format and am looking at it right now.

...no

Yeah mate listen it's obvious that he doesn't use Maple on his new Acrylic kit - but he doesn't use that in recording - it take common sense to realise stuff like that and anyway the cymbals he uses vary from gig to gig. Seriously when I sawt hem both times at the MEN last year he changed from K Customs to A Custom crashes - Dom's a picky one with lots of money so he can do stuff like that - the K's and A's sound quite similar in a live situation in terms of tone though so it's hard to tell from just listening.

...he rarely uses the Tamas for recording either and since we were talking specifically about his live kit I'm curious as to how that's relevant at all.

And he recorded BHAR with Vistalite toms.

the WHOLE album?

I remember seeing pics of them as the old muse website background...

didn't think he used them to record the whole thing...

but then I haven't read (or seen) much about BHAR recording :(

Well those pictures were in a studio while BHAR was being recorded so I assume that he did track some songs with them.

Not that it matters, the drums on BHAR are so different from what actual drums sound like for all we know he could have just recorded the output from an ekit.

I read in an interview that Soldier's Poem was actually recorded live and on an older drumset (I wanna say a ludwig)

And I finally got the doubles down on KoC :D

Actually yeah I remember seeing that. Rich costey SOS magazine or something....

Wheey!! Vid / mp3 pleashe! :D

Did you get any drumming tips off dom whilst 'pooling'?

...any drum related stories at all?

Whoo! I've pretty much got all of Assassin learned--all I have to do is keep the hi-hat going steady during the triplet fill thing and brush up some other minor things, but I think I've pretty much got it. :D So close, hehe.

I've also learned all the parts to Minimum and recorded it... :D I'm gonna record a better version though, then post it up. :D

Whoo! I've pretty much got all of Assassin learned--all I have to do is keep the hi-hat going steady during the triplet fill thing and brush up some other minor things, but I think I've pretty much got it. :D So close, hehe.

I've also learned all the parts to Minimum and recorded it... :D I'm gonna record a better version though, then post it up. :D

wheeey! :D

Why?

Cuz that's what dom does.

So?

Alyssa, if your left foot doesn't habitually work the hats then I wouldn't bother with it. You don't gain much from it in understanding of rhythm (woah, eighths!) and it's almost inaudible when played simultaneously with stronger instruments (like in a Bonham triplet roll or underneath a steady ostinato). it'll just become somethng your left foot does when it's bored.

So?

Alyssa, if your left foot doesn't habitually work the hats then I wouldn't bother with it. You don't gain much from it in understanding of rhythm (woah, eighths!) and it's almost inaudible when played simultaneously with stronger instruments (like in a Bonham triplet roll or underneath a steady ostinato). it'll just become somethng your left foot does when it's bored.

yeah i agree with you - don't learn it JUST to put it there in the song. No point.

So?

Ah, okay. :D

Though I do have other reasons for learning how to use it--I'm also trying to learn how to use a double pedal comfortably and I'm hella far away from that, so I'm trying to learn how to use my left foot comfortably on the hi-hats while playing instead. I don't know, it just really bothers me how sluggish my left foot is so I'm trying to get it up to speed with the rest of my limbs. :LOL:

Oh, and Adam, I just saw a comment you left on youtube about your set up to make your toms sound a deeper, and I also have remo pinstripes, o-rings, an emad batter head for my bass and a hole cut out in the resonant head, haha. Is that a really common set up or something?

Though, my set still sounds like crap (it's cheap and costed about $300). I hope I get something drum related for my birthday tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Actually yeah I remember seeing that. Rich costey SOS magazine or something....

Wheey!! Vid / mp3 pleashe! :D

Did you get any drumming tips off dom whilst 'pooling'?

...any drum related stories at all?

Yea, I think I picked it up from a free magazine at Sam Ash or something, but it was Rich Costey.

I'll try to get a video up this week, I just need to fix the last fills in the songs, and try to do the snare-concert bass transition in the beginning. Actually, I didn't really talk about drums to Dom :$ just general banter

I didn't really talk about drums to Dom

WHAT! :eek:

haha :p

Oh, and Adam, I just saw a comment you left on youtube about your set up to make your toms sound a deeper, and I also have remo pinstripes, o-rings, an emad batter head for my bass and a hole cut out in the resonant head, haha. Is that a really common set up or something?

Yeah quite a few people have commented on how 'deep' they sound.

Im guessing that if it's not the heads and the like then it must be the way I tune them. I cant remember if i tune the resonant head higher than the batter head....:unsure:

that might be it?

hello there Mr Tama Starclassic Exotic :D

http://www.microcuts.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=10884

probably had a mix up with his kit, used this one im guessing...

Not Exotic, that is a Starclassic Bubinga in the hottest finish on earth. Dom's finally woken up.

That kit is infinitely sexier than the Mirage.

Oh yes.

see through ftw!

The Mirages are cheesy and tasteless, this kit is classy without boundary.

IMO.

If only he'd gotten it with chrome hardware.