The grading system is not internally consistent. Even different brands have different ideas about what a 5A is. 8D is a Vic Firth size that's a 7A diameter with 5A length. They feel like (and have the lifespan of) cocktail skewers to me. IMO Pro-Mark 747s are the perfect all round stick.

Yeah it's a bit odd, with a name like 747 you expect them to be really big sticks (or I did, at least), but they're just a 5A diameter stick with 1/4" extra length and the neck of a 5B. Huge bead though, they give a really nice dark ping.

Whatever size my sticks are they still appear to fly out my hands on a regular basis :(

Suppose I am happy that even though being a fairly noobie, playing relaxed and not being tense comes naturally but at the cost of looking a knob at having to scrabble around on the floor or do one of those wonderful juggling acts mid riff.

I've seen those knurled finish sticks which are meant to help but am reluctant at having to become a "special needs" student :)

Any thoughts ?

Everyone loses sticks and I find that the gripping devices only give me blisters. When I saw The Mars Volta in March their new drummer (a prodigy) lost about eight pairs of sticks onto the audience and stage. At the very start of the Led Zeppelin DVD you can see Bonham doing his signature hand-hand-foot triplet roll and within seconds both his sticks promptly sail into the nether.

Besides, I think it looks especaially cool if you hold the beat with one hand for a moment while you go fishing in your stick bag for another pair. I try to put sticks everywhere, in the Pringles tin taped to my hat stand, resting on the bass drum and propped up in a couple of rolls of gaffa tape (thanks to Mike Portnoy for the idea http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/artists/setup/Mike_Portnoy/index.html) next to my floor tom, it's even better than a stickbag.

Everyone loses sticks and I find that the gripping devices only give me blisters. When I saw The Mars Volta in March their new drummer (a prodigy) lost about eight pairs of sticks onto the audience and stage. At the very start of the Led Zeppelin DVD you can see Bonham doing his signature hand-hand-foot triplet roll and within seconds both his sticks promptly sail into the nether.

Besides, I think it looks especaially cool if you hold the beat with one hand for a moment while you go fishing in your stick bag for another pair. I try to put sticks everywhere, in the Pringles tin taped to my hat stand, resting on the bass drum and propped up in a couple of rolls of gaffa tape (thanks to Mike Portnoy for the idea http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/artists/setup/Mike_Portnoy/index.html) next to my floor tom, it's even better than a stickbag.

Mikes kit is amazing! :eek:

SO big!

"Although it may seem excessive, Mike needs a wide variety of drum and cymbal voices to complement Dream Theater's complex songs and arrangements."

arses does he need something that big.

/listens to misunderstood

mind you, its the same with guitarists and effects... once youve got the basics it can get a bit indulgent :p

I use these stick wraps, and I've only gotten a blister once while using them, and that's mainly because i started drumming after not drumming for a few months... my palms get really sweaty so those help a lot actually. :D

Dude, that set would be a b**** to set up.

Yeah, 8D's are thin/light. I picked up a pair randomly and loved them. used them ever since.

And I still can't get my bass drum pedal set up perfectly :( I can do the foot movements for tonnes of stuff, but i can't get the pedal set up to transfer that to the bass drum properly..if you catch me drift.

dom uses many sticks! lol

you shouldn't copy what sticks your favourite drummer uses either. You should get the ones that feel the most natural to you....like they did for themselves...

oh god yeah i know, there's a guy at my college who is OBSESSED with travis barker, same set up, style, even hair-do :stunned: . Saw him gig once and he must of gone through about 3 of them, in a 5song set

i was only wondering because on recent pictures he's been using pro-marks, i was just wondering if they were the 747's, i wasn't trying to copy:D

oh god yeah i know, there's a guy at my college who is OBSESSED with travis barker, same set up, style, even hair-do :stunned: . Saw him gig once and he must of gone through about 3 of them, in a 5song set

i was only wondering because on recent pictures he's been using pro-marks, i was just wondering if they were the 747's, i wasn't trying to copy:D

haha good ;)

yeah - recently he's been using promarks but ive seen him use loads of others...even some brand that id never heard of before! lol

began with an s iirc....

:confused:

Btw I've read quite a bit of this thread, but not all it's too long but I've seen some of the tabbing and scores people have done for some of Doms stuff and a lot of it is WRONG! lol

I literally LOVE Muse so I can literally play every song on the drums (9yrs of playing ;)) and if you want some help I could give you some.

Btw 5B are sexy sticks! 5A are too light - feel like they are gona snap (and they do very easily!!)

Dom's kit as to date is as follows:

For recording - Drum Workshop (Maple)

For live - Tama Starclassic Maple

He uses:

Drums

22" x 18" Bass Drum

12" x 8" Rack Tom

14" x 12" Floor Tom

16" x 14" Floor Tom

20" x 14" Gong Bass Drum (used in "Map of The Problematique")

14" x 5" / 14" x 5" Snare drums - various models including Ludwig Black Beauty, Tama Starclassic, Yamaha (not sure about that one) and some others - there's lots lol

No, Starclassic Mirage. no, 6.5" depth snares. BTW I only put the Yamaha brass on the Muse Wiki because you can see it in the TIRO video clip, it's a rental instrument. I like your sig, I have it in poster format and am looking at it right now.

Cymbals:

8" A Custom Splash

11" Oriental Trash Splash

14" K Custom Dry Hats (used to use 13" A Custom Projection Hats)

18" Oriental China Trash

18" A Custom Crash / K Dark Crash

19" A Custom Crash / K Dark Crash

20" Oriental Crash of Doom

22" K Custom Ride / 22" K Custom Medium Ride

...no.

http://www.musewiki.org/Cymbals

He also uses Remo heads on the majority of his drums (exceptions like his Black Beauty which has an Aquarian skin) and Tama Hardware.

http://www.musewiki.com/Drums

This is as far as I know really, but if it's wrong I'm sorry - there hasn't really been an official release of his gear for a long time and the majority/all of the above is from observations.

Is that right, now?

and I've only gotten a blister once while using them

Yeah but I get a ridiculous amount of blisters, I've never met anyone who blisters like I do. On Monday I played till my left hand first blistered and then bled. Forgot I had drummers gloves...

Btw I've read quite a bit of this thread, but not all it's too long but I've seen some of the tabbing and scores people have done for some of Doms stuff and a lot of it is WRONG! lol

I literally LOVE Muse so I can literally play every song on the drums (9yrs of playing ;)) and if you want some help I could give you some.

Btw 5B are sexy sticks! 5A are too light - feel like they are gona snap (and they do very easily!!)

http://www.musedrums.rocks.it

THEY'RE not wrong ;)