cheddatom, I got the feeling before when we were talking about double vs single bass that we had different concepts of how it's possible to play with a single (speed, power and consistency), this is what I was talking about: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jojomayerbasss.html

I've seen that before. I love jojo mayer, he's a fiend. I love his band too. I was talking more in relation to heavy rock/metal double kicking, which you have a problem with.

I'm not 100% sure, but I reckon is jojo mayer went into the studio with, Slipknot, for example, or Tool, or whoever, he's take a double kick. I bet you any amount of money that he owns one.

yeah - just want a pic of him (preferably) twiddling the nobs! :LOL:

if not then ill settle for a pic of it in the background.

It is a Buchla 200e as per the following link - but as it is a modular synth they can all look slightly different depending on which modules they have fitted.

http://www.buchla.com/200e/index.html

Can't help too much with many photos of it in action with Muse - you can see it in the background on various photos within the forum thread.......

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=40827&page=188

I maybe wrong but I would be surprised if Dom "twiddles" with it himself - wouldn't this be more for Morgan Nichols to set up and maybe Dom just triggers it off drum / foot triggers (that's if they have the synth Midi'ed up which I am sure they would have). I have dabbled with them things in the past and they are a science within themself and need constant tweaking / tuning and Morgan appears to be the main Knob twiddler these days :D

Ahhhh...I may have to backtrack...just read that Dom does adjust the filters on the synth during Take a Bow when ....quote "Morgan is not on stage.

And sounds like Dom has pushed for more use of modular synths on their tracks as opposed to Matt twiddling the pinkies...maybe there is some keyboard envy going on :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Doms drummers... look for the double pedal at 1:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlbKDyVOfEI

Thats just his hi-hat leg going. :p

I do it even when the hats are closed. It may help him 'get' the technique however...

Im still adamant that its a single pedal from

A) the pictures of his kit (esp the one from his perspective)

B) the making of video - single pedal

C) *may be wrong* but he uses the chrome iron cobra thats only available in single pedal format

EDIT: on closer inspection you can see his hats lift and lower slightly in accordance to where his leg is.

Thats just his hi-hat leg going. :p

No it's not. It's on the off beat.

Im still adamant that its a single pedal from

A) the pictures of his kit (esp the one from his perspective)

B) the making of video - single pedal

C) *may be wrong* but he uses the chrome iron cobra thats only available in single pedal format

A) slaveonright.jpg

Chromes.jpg

B) Your point? We're talking about this performance, not the video, and in this performance he is using a double pedal. He says he finds playing KoC hard work and has evidently given up on the hee-toeing.

C) You don't think it's possible that maybe he owns... more than one pedal?

http://forksdrumcloset.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7644

EDIT: on closer inspection you can see his hats lift and lower slightly in accordance to where his leg is.

No you don't. The hats move because he's hitting them with a drumstick.

You don't think it's possible that maybe he owns... more than one pedal?

I don't think Dom would buy a double kick, seeing as double kicks are gay, and no-one should ever buy one, let alone use one. If you have a double kick, it's because you're a shit drummer, and we all know Dom's amazing.

Niles, I like your sig, i've lost that article, could you link me? They have a new drummer now :-( but I saw them live with Jon Theodore!

I have double pedal chrome iron cobra's, admittedly right footed, but Tama would have made him whatever he wanted

Ah ok. Yeah most of his kit is custom made so im sure they would haha.

No it's not. It's on the off beat.

yeah - as i said its more likely a personal method to help him 'get' the technique properly.

Ive noticed by watching my assassin GOB video that when it comes to that fill - my hi hat leg goes from side to side as well as up and down. It's just a personal thing. I dont realise im doing it - yet it must help me in some way.

*pictures*

Yep. Great. We all know he used it on hullabaloo. He hasnt used a double pedal at all on this tour.

domsdrumspe2.jpg

No you don't. The hats move because he's hitting them with a drumstick.

I dunno how you play - but when i hit the hi-hat they dont open and close. lol

Your point? We're talking about this performance, not the video, and in this performance he is using a double pedal. He says he finds playing KoC hard work and has evidently given up on the heel-toeing.

You don't think it's possible that maybe he owns... more than one pedal?

So he's played it all this time - up to reading - as heel-toe and then he just gives it up....but at later dates (Nottingham and Wembley where I saw the single pedal with my own eyes) he reverts back to the single pedal. Doubt it.

Yeah - maybe he does own more than one pedal (more than one single chrome cobra ;)). But Knights of cydonia at Reading festival was played with a single pedal.

At the end of KOC they go straight into hysteria (no time to 'swap pedals') and theres a moment in that vid where you can see head on into (through) doms bass and can see him heel-toeing on the single pedal.

And if you look at his bass leg in the KOC video you can see his left leg heel-toeing.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlbKDyVOfEI

1.24 - There is no 'double bass' at that point in the song - yet his hat leg is still moving in the same way.

EDIT 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LuFoHIy-U

2.40 - no double bass pedal in sight - you might want to get a hold of the DVD quality videos to check it like I did.

EDIT 3:

pdvd011le9.png

no adjoining bar

THUS proving that no double bass pedal was used at the Reading Festival.

You know, there are better drummers to get obsessed over.

haha

im not 'obsessed' i just like his style of playing. It suits me down to the ground.

I know that there are drummers 5324987632498072 times better than dom.....

but that doesnt make him a shit drummer.

:)

He's deffinitely not shit. I love some of his beats and etc. but you do seem to pay a lot of attention to his technique, where as the most impressive part of what Dom does (for me) are the beats he writes, not how he plays them.

Sorry, I don't belong in this thread, i'll bugger off!

He's deffinitely not shit. I love some of his beats and etc. but you do seem to pay a lot of attention to his technique, where as the most impressive part of what Dom does (for me) are the beats he writes, not how he plays them.

Sorry, I don't belong in this thread, i'll bugger off!

:LOL: Shoo!

Nah the reason I do is because i couldn't play them if I didn't.

I'm still struggling with KOC. I HAD to see how he played it so that I could stand a chance. BECAUSE he plays it with a single pedal it encourages me to get it sorted too.

Same with assassin....

Doesnt help that Im a perfectionist either.....Hence why I've redone Assassin. :LOL:

i think adam's right here. although that's A LOT of effort just to prove someone wrong.

:yesey:;)

Meh - i had just woken up - had a good hour to kill. :LOL:

Can somebody post a tab for KoC? I can play it how I hear it fine, so I guess I must be missing something. Cheers :)

HH|--x---x---x---x-|--x---x---x---x-|               
SN|----x-------x---|----x-------x-xx|
BD|x--xx--xx--xx--x|x--xx--xx--xx--x| 

Im in the middle of making the full tab - but its taking a while and i have a lot of other stuff to do....lol

Cheers.:)

Im having trouble heel-toeing with my Eliminator, can't get the pedal height right to do it :(

the beater should hit the exact middle of the drum....thats where I was going wrong....it was slightly off center! lol

Now im almost there - but i cannot heel-toe with shoes on....so instead im mastering the sliding technique.....but its taking a while....:(