The Ultimate Pedal Board Project

Mittle

I use sketcup pretty much every day for my job. But I use it to design buildings and ultimately produce images like this:

2vl466g.jpg

Ultimately, the idea behind it is good, but again, I wouldn't use sketchup for something it isnt. Nothing beats a drawing with dimensions on it.

That looks great and your completely right about sketch up not being great for dimensions, I use sketch up, AutoCAD, Inventor, solid works and catia and not a single one of them can do everything, I always think for buildings and general representation of large systems sketch up is great. Solid works is the best for small 3D parts and AutoCAD is crap at everything :LOL:

Still need to figure out how best to draw up a short scale bass neck :ninja:

That looks great and your completely right about sketch up not being great for dimensions, I use sketch up, AutoCAD, Inventor, solid works and catia and not a single one of them can do everything, I always think for buildings and general representation of large systems sketch up is great. Solid works is the best for small 3D parts and AutoCAD is crap at everything :LOL:

Still need to figure out how best to draw up a short scale bass neck :ninja:

I agree with some of that. AutoCAD is excellent when you use it to its full potential. In the firm I'm with, I end up having to use a lot of different software, depending on the project. So I'll use a combination of AutoCAD, Sketchup (with either lumion or vray for rendering), Rhino with Grasshopper, and I'm just starting on Revit.

For the bass neck, I'd be inclined to suggest rhino, but its not the easiest to learn.

I agree with some of that. AutoCAD is excellent when you use it to its full potential. In the firm I'm with, I end up having to use a lot of different software, depending on the project. So I'll use a combination of AutoCAD, Sketchup (with either lumion or vray for rendering), Rhino with Grasshopper, and I'm just starting on Revit.

For the bass neck, I'd be inclined to suggest rhino, but its not the easiest to learn.

Yeah that's fair enough, it had been playing me up at work all that day so hence my anger towards it, I tend to use AutoCAD a lot for quick 2D drawings where i don't want or need a 3D model. I just don't like it for 3D work I find it very limiting.

Your the second person to recommend using rhino for the bass neck, I guess I might have to learn yet another CAD program, oh well it's all good experience. I long for the day when someone makes a CAD program that is the best at everything :) I'm thinking K&T might need a guitar and kit CAD discussion thread :D

Yeah that's fair enough, it had been playing me up at work all that day so hence my anger towards it, I tend to use AutoCAD a lot for quick 2D drawings where i don't want or need a 3D model. I just don't like it for 3D work I find it very limiting.

Your the second person to recommend using rhino for the bass neck, I guess I might have to learn yet another CAD program, oh well it's all good experience. I long for the day when someone makes a CAD program that is the best at everything :) I'm thinking K&T might need a guitar and kit CAD discussion thread :D

I'm not great at modelling in rhino to be honest, but I use it with grasshopper for projects where we're designing parametric architecture. Its tricky to get your head around, but if you send me a pm on Monday evening, I can send you a link to an amazing set of tutorials on YouTube. I used them and I learned to model in grasshopper in about a week or two.

Lol the case factory emailed me regarding my ... ehh... measurements?.. Made no sense to them, so they'll do it themselves, however I fear the board will become ... large ... XXXL:(

I kinda feel for the factory. Like I said, nothing beats a properly dimensioned drawing.