The Wireless Thread (pun intended)

Mittle

Hi! I couldnt find any thread where wireless was the main topic so I decided to make a new one. It would be nice to know what wireless systems you guys use. I personally use the Line 6 G50 system for guitar and It has served me well for many years, although I want to upgrade to G90 for easier handling.

But the thing is! I need a wireless midi system for my XY controller and also keyboard. What systems do you guys use or know of? I have read about the Panda Midibeam and it looks reliable, but unfortunately there are no video reviews or larger reviews.

Any ideas?

I've used the Kenton MIdistream for a few years now and it's very reliable, Matt used them at Wembley in 2007 so they're pretty good for long distances!

It's handy as when I first got the MB-1 and had 1 Midi & 1 Audio lead they would get tangled up with each other, just keep the transmitter fitted to the strap

They are normally about £300 but I managed to get one from eBay for about £150

IMG_20141004_175856_zps9012ed55.jpg

:)

Edited by rust_relic

Actually this is interesting because a whole bunch of these systems are unable to be used in this country anymore due to the bandwidth being sold off so I'm expecting a few cheap units to turn up which will be illegal to use.

Like to hear from anyone that's used one on bass too. I had a NADY UHF system for bass. It worked well until you hit anything lower than a F# or G on the low E, then it started to cut out the lower frequencies. It had a boost to compensate but it didn't restore the sound enough. It did however work flawlessly and everything else sounded good, probably extremely good for a guitarist, even though it was the bass version.

I've used the Kenton MIdistream for a few years now and it's very reliable, Matt used them at Wembley in 2007 so they're pretty good for long distances!

It's handy as when I first got the MB-1 and had 1 Midi & 1 Audio lead they would get tangled up with each other, just keep the transmitter fitted to the strap

They are normally about £300 but I managed to get one from eBay for about £150

:)

Looks heavy duty, nice MUSE logo on the padding there as well, but I can't find any kits for sale at the moment, and I fear that the bandwidth it uses is illegal to occupy and will cause fuzz in my country like Crowella mentioned. And doesn't the Midistream use radio frequencies? I´ve heard the new wireless generation uses digital transmission, more stable and reliable, especially over long distances.

Btw. Crowella, I´ve used the G50 system from line 6 with bass, and it worked just as well as with guitar. ;)

The Line 6 stuff generally seems the way to go but I haven't had much time with them to know for certain.

You can send a mail to sweetwater or chat online with their techs, they tend to know loads about whats trending and whats good of wireless systems. I´ve bought loads of my gear from them.

That padding is an original wristband if I'm not mistaken...

Hah clever use! I´ve used an old woolen sock to protect my battery pack from scratches, DIY style;)

Panda Midi is much better by characteristics (than WIDI), but I never heard about it. Matt used WIDI in last tour.

Oh is that because it is newer? Haven't purchased yet so will probably wait a lil. Maybe until the tour to see what matt uses :roll eyes: #fanboy. Anyway, its a shame not more companies are producing wireless midi systems. Midi is getting bigger, and I hope to see line 6 create a G90 MIDI or something. :happy:

• 1 month later...
Oh bugger, didn't realise it was you who emailed me.

As you are a board member I will post to Norway if you win it :D

OOoo thank you :happy: tempting, although sergey also tempts me with the widi... but perhaps I can get the kenton cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...