I want the truth

fusinghelium3

I just signed up and this is my first post ever, so hello everyone! :happy:

The reason I'm here is that I need answers. I've been watching many interviews, spent a lot of time on musewiki.org, and read tons of arguments on different websites about the meaning of the songs. (I wasn't sure whether I should post in Songs & Releases, but given that I'm not going to talk only about lyrics, I am posting here.)

I have lots of questions and a burning desire to learn the truth. I thought Muse.mu would be the best place to meet experts and get answers. Among these questions are stupid ones that might have been answered hundreds of times, and more tricky ones. I invite you all to answer these questions and give your opinion about science, religion, space, and the relationship between the band and these subjects.

1/ Why "Muse"? Why did they choose this word? Who chose it? https://twitter.com/MattBellamy/status/247999667265232896

2/ Is there a way to get the official lyrics of each song? (musewiki.org being the most accurate, but some songs are still being debated)

3/ Is Matthew James Bellamy just a musician? We all know that the songs are about complex and sometimes thought-provoking topics, and that Matt has read many books. In interviews, he is often talking about science-related subjects quite briefly, as if he didn't really understand what he learnt, but is it truly the case? It seems like he wants to stay humble in interviews, but that he actually cares deeply about these subjects.

4/ In Shrinking Universe, who is Matt talking to?

5/ Will Muse ever play a concert in space? We know that they are seriously looking into this project, that they met Richard Branson, Elon Musk, and even visited SpaceX's headquarters in Hawthorne. Let's admit that the technology is ready in 10 years, do you really think that the three of them would be ready to undergo an astronaut-like training and have the courage to go to space? If so, how long do you think would last the orbital flight, and the gig itself?

6/ What is Muse doing of their money? Other than saving up for their concert in space, what are they spending their money on? (tours, organisations, War Child, etc)

7/ On what TV show would you like to see the band being interviewed the most?

8/ What do you think will be the name of their next album? And what will it be about?

9/ In Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, is Matt talking about him and talking to himself, or is he portraying a random atheist?

10/ Many people are saying that Matt has a huge ego, do you think it's true? It seems like he's acting on stage a lot, because he is in a mindset of a big show in a big stadium, but he actually seems very humble and down to Earth.

11/ In Exogenesis, was Matt inspired by a book in particular, or is he presenting his own "vision"?

12/ What is the meaning of the Exogenesis Symphony? What are the links between the three songs?

13/ Would you like to see another symphony from Muse, or do you think they should stay away from classical music?

14/ Matt is talking a lot about nuclear fusion and sustainable energy, do you think he has ever donated money for research? https://twitter.com/MattBellamy/status/387353492261593088

15/ To define love, Matt is often referring to different types of mental disorders such as megalomania, hysteria, space dementia or the Stockholm syndrom. This isn't very common, was he inspired by a book or something else?

16/ Do you think Matt's reads about MKUltra made him paranoid?

17/ What unexplored theme do you think Muse should talk about in their next album?

18/ Matt has a very accurate knowledge about Earth, the evolution, and how young our species really is. Do you know what book(s) he's read?

I think that's about it for now. Off to bed, I will add more questions later. Thank you!

Edited by fusinghelium3

I'm not really an expert but I'll try to answer these anyways. I'm watching the Rome video so I'll keep it short. It's only Explorers anyways.

1/ Why "Muse"? Why did they choose this word? Who chose it? https://twitter.com/MattBellamy/status/247999667265232896

From what I've heard

1. It was said there was a Muse in their town cause of all the bands

2. They heard the name from a teacher or something and liked it.

3. It was short, memorable, and looked nice on posters and promotional material

2/ Is there a way to get the official lyrics of each song? (musewiki.org being the most accurate, but some songs are still being debated)

The most official are the booklets, but those are riddled with inaccuracies so there is no 100% accurate place. Even Bellamy forgets his own lyrics.

3/ Is Matthew James Bellamy just a musician? We all know that the songs are about complex and sometimes thought-provoking topics, and that Matt has read many books. In interviews, he is often talking about science-related subjects quite briefly, as if he didn't really understand what he learnt, but is it truly the case? It seems like he wants to stay humble in interviews, but that he actually cares deeply about these subjects.

He has other interests like any other person. He likes to read theories and stuff.

I don't know.

5/ Will Muse ever play a concert in space? We know that they are seriously looking into this project, that they met Richard Branson, Elon Musk, and even visited SpaceX's headquarters in Hawthorne. Let's admit that the technology is ready in 10 years, do you really think that the three of them would be ready to undergo an astronaut-like training and have the courage to go to space? If so, how long do you think would last the orbital flight, and the gig itself?

They might as space travel is getting cheaper and they like this kind of stuff. Lady Gaga will probably get there first.

6/ What is Muse doing of their money? Other than saving up for their concert in space, what are they spending their money on? (tours, organisations, War Child, etc)

Tour funding, charities, and midget snorting parties.

I don't really have an input on this.

8/ What do you think will be the name of their next album? And what will it be about?

Self Doubt and Syphilis. It'll be about declining society and state of humanity told in the form of love songs.

9/ In Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, is Matt talking about him and talking to himself, or is he portraying a random atheist?

Probably a bit of both.

10/ Many people are saying that Matt has a huge ego, do you think it's true? It seems like he's acting on stage a lot, because he is in a mindset of a big show in a big stadium, but he actually seems very humble and down to Earth.

He's definitely more outgoing now in most things he does but he still seems to avoid the big fame and I do think he still has a sense of humbleness. Kinda.

11/ In Exogenesis, was Matt inspired by a book in particular, or is he presenting his own "vision"?

I believe he mentioned the theory that life came to earth by alien means as inspiration.

12/ What is the meaning of the Exogenesis Symphony? What are the links between the three songs?

The world is shit so people decide to leave the planet for a new home. Chaos probably ensues. Once they leave humans realize it was their own fault for destroying the world and it's only up to them to "start over" or the same will happen wherever they go.

13/ Would you like to see another symphony from Muse, or do you think they should stay away from classical music?

I'd like to see them make it more symphonic than Matt Bellamy feat. strings. Something like Isolated System, or the slow IS seen in the making-of.

14/ Matt is talking a lot about nuclear fusion and sustainable energy, do you think he has ever donated money for research? https://twitter.com/MattBellamy/status/387353492261593088

I don't know.

15/ To define love, Matt is often referring to different types of mental disorders such as megalomania, hysteria, space dementia or the Stockholm syndrom. This isn't very common, was he inspired by a book or something else?

Probably mental states are quite an interest for him. He seems to have a thing towards the theme of desire to extreme levels (Hysteria, Bliss,...). Older albums being a bit darker in that sense.

I don't think he's as paranoid as he was a few years ago but he definitely had some beliefs in conspiracy.

17/ What unexplored theme do you think Muse should talk about in their next album?

Fabri.

KjecGf.gif

Just kidding. Since I'm bored, I'm gonna answer some to the best of my knowledge.

I just read something about this. Actually, I think maybe it was from Muse the Movie. I think Matt said it's about how bands used to sit around drinking and doing drugs and doing nothing, and then all of a sudden they started making music, and that's where the name came from.

I've wondered this myself too. The nice thing about Muse is that their lyrics differed from one version to another, especially from the older eras. So I'm not sure THEY know what their official lyrics are.

Who knows!

Because you're the God of a shrinking universe

Yes I can see Muse doing this in 10 years ... if they don't break up!

Don't know, don't care.

Don't really care about them being interviewed honestly!

There have been recent interviews with the band about the next album, they said something about going back to their roots. I just hope it's science, religion, space, and conspiracy theory inspired!

Matt's beliefs have always been all over the place. So I think at the point he wrote the song, he must have been pondering what a (doubtful) atheist thinks of life after death. I say doubtful because atheists are usually strong in their opinion of no life after death.

Who cares? lol

Not sure.

Life/humanity coming from another planet.

I loved Exogenesis so I don't mind.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Matt has weird thoughts all the time, but he did tone it down with Undisclosed Desires, no? ;)

He's paranoid about a lot of things I think.

Oooooh, interesting question. They've covered controversial topics like politics and religion, so it's kind of tough really to think of something intriguing for them to cover.

I hope I kinda made sense? :D

Gonna skip some questions seeing as they're already answered.

I suppose corrupt politicians more than religious figures. It's like how their 'ideals' are destroying the Universe, so there's really no reason to live anymore from the protagonist's point of view.

5/ Will Muse ever play a concert in space?

They may, but they probably won't be the first. Preparation and all that is of course required. I'd say they play 5-7 songs. High chance they'll play Knights of Cydonia to end the gig.

Christmas the Apocalypse. (at the end) https://soundcloud.com/triple_j/matt-and-dom-from-muse-chat-to

Or in all seriousness, Fallout.

As mentioned, partly him, partly someone generic or random.

I'd say both.

Part 1 - Humans face the inevitable end of the world.

Part 2 - Humans decide to send other humans to another planet.

Part 3 - The other humans realize that if they don't want to face extinction, they need to learn from their mistakes.

Not for the next album.

To some extent, but it can't simply be placed only upon reading MK Ultra. It's an accumulation of years of reading such material.

Communists, consumerism and goat/sheep sounds.

Edited by Raiga Kagekami

Part 1 - Humans face the inevitable end of the world.

Part 2 - Humans decide to send other humans to another planet.

Part 3 - The other humans realize that if they don't want to face extinction, they need to learn from their mistakes.

That's exactly what I thought, but the whole thing may have a double meaning.

I suppose corrupt politicians more than religious figures. It's like how their 'ideals' are destroying the Universe, so there's really no reason to live anymore from the protagonist's point of view.

Very interesting, thanks. So a double meaning as well.

Nah man, Starlight.

How about Space Dementia?

Nah man, Starlight.

Shit.

Anyways, I'd imagine it'd be something like -

Exogenesis Part 1

Supermassive Black Hole

'Dead Cuts'....or more realistically, another hit

Sing For Absolution

Isolated System

Starlight

Knights of Cydonia

That's exactly what I thought, but the whole thing may have a double meaning.

Sure, if it does to you. To me, it's more about looking at the finer details. In Part 1, there's part of the lyrics about how the protagonist laments being trapped in God's program and how essentially we're destined to die anyways. Makes me think for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

1/ Why "Muse"? Why did they choose this word? Who chose

We came up with the name, as wel as Rocket Baby Dols. It involves sending your thoughts to far off destinations as well as time traveling.

It is about becoming aware that we are living in the blobs of our own universes which collide and intermix when we meet. The realization can cause Space Dementia like feeling and rediscovering all little important things within our confined spaces.

It is about a lifepath which can be "red" and experienced as futuristic book.

He was recruited and has been seen making all-seeing eye symbol on stages. Parts of the entrainment involves Paranoid Android moments for overcoming any existing fear about them.

~Randolph~

We came up with the name, as wel as Rocket Baby Dols. It involves sending your thoughts to far off destinations as well as time traveling.

It is about becoming aware that we are living in the blobs of our own universes which collide and intermix when we meet. The realization can cause Space Dementia like feeling and rediscovering all little important things within our confined spaces.

It is about a lifepath which can be "red" and experienced as futuristic book.

He was recruited and has been seen making all-seeing eye symbol on stages. Parts of the entrainment involves Paranoid Android moments for overcoming any existing fear about them.

~Randolph~

Who are you? Kirky? Matt, Chris, Dom?

How about Space Dementia?

Nah. Matt thinks Starlight without playing his guitar is the most perfect think they ever did.

Who are you? Kirky? Matt, Chris, Dom?

He's nobody of them. Just a random person thinking he's matt.

I can't see the sense in this thread. All these Questions are shit.

Edit: And if he's some Member of the Band i'll need a proof for that.

Edited by MyChemGD1234

He nobody of them. Just a random person thinking he's matt.

Edit: And if he's some Member of the Band i'll need a proof for that.

Me too. Indeed. ;)

but maybe he's genuine..