Matt's Delorean - What's this thing?

Jaicen

I was thinking that perhaps it is some sort of height adjuster for the GK. it's certainly not part of the GK Kit.

It's so frustrating that there are no better pictures available.

I'm hoping maybe Bobbles or someone else who has seen the real thing can shed some light on it??

The aluminium knob on the left is just slotted to protect the end of the GK pickup. The pickup itself is floating on springs and screws at either end, the slot prevents the pickup from being bent over.

I can see why you would want to put something under the pickup to screw it down onto, but why not put it in the middle?

maybe it's there just to add some support. Aren't the GK pickups usually flat against the body (like with a strat) or on that adapter (like on a tune o matic guitar)

maybe that adapter thing couldn't be used in this case, as it's not the standard TOM bridge.

Aye Kev, that's what it looks like and it's pretty much what I was going to do. Just seems really odd though. Have spent my day off today trawling through live footage for a better view of what it actually is. I can be pretty neurotic about the details sometimes.

Re: the saddles, they're supposed to be notched before use according to the string spacing that you're using. I don't think they're necessarily damaged. Could be wrong though.

At the very least, you can see that the bridge is misaligned by about 5mm :)

EDIT: Maybe a bit less than 5mm, but still out. Regardless, what the hell is the ferrule thing for?

Aye Kev, that's what it looks like and it's pretty much what I was going to do. Just seems really odd though. Have spent my day off today trawling through live footage for a better view of what it actually is. I can be pretty neurotic about the details sometimes.

Re: the saddles, they're supposed to be notched before use according to the string spacing that you're using. I don't think they're necessarily damaged. Could be wrong though.

At the very least, you can see that the bridge is misaligned by about 5mm :)

EDIT: Maybe a bit less than 5mm, but still out. Regardless, what the hell is the ferrule thing for?

i would say it's just a height adjuster.

the saddles are split as you can see they are split down to the wire :D

Hmm, ok. Having spent yesterday trawling my archive of live footage from 2001 -2005, I am pretty sure that it is just a height adjusting thing. Not 100% happy not knowing for certain, i'm somewhat obsessive about accuracy with this build, but I guess this is the best I can do unless Hugh turns up to give us the skinny. He'd probably lie or not remember anyway.

Hmm, ok. Having spent yesterday trawling my archive of live footage from 2001 -2005, I am pretty sure that it is just a height adjusting thing. Not 100% happy not knowing for certain, i'm somewhat obsessive about accuracy with this build, but I guess this is the best I can do unless Hugh turns up to give us the skinny. He'd probably lie or not remember anyway.

it must be, as you can height adjust it with the two screws, but to stop it dropping towards the body, it must have that acting like a stop :)

That's my guess too. The screws have springs which are compressed as they're screwed into the body, but I suspect that it was unstable without the additional support. It just seems like such an inelegant solution.

The more I've studied this guitar, the more I'm convinced that Hugh just chucked it together. I suspect that he had this youngster coming in giving him a vague description of what he wanted, and Hugh just got it done as quickly as possible. Stuff like the big rectangular slot for the GK wires, and the piss poor routing on the P90 sort of suggests that Hugh had no idea that his creation would be seen by millions of people worldwide.

I wonder at what point he realised that Muse were sort of a big deal?

Edited by Jaicen

That's my guess too. The screws have springs which are compressed as they're screwed into the body, but I suspect that it was unstable without the additional support. It just seems like such an inelegant solution.

The more I've studied this guitar, the more I'm convinced that Hugh just chucked it together. I suspect that he had this youngster coming in giving him a vague description of what he wanted, and Hugh just got it done as quickly as possible. Stuff like the big rectangular slot for the GK wires, and the piss poor routing on the P90 sort of suggests that Hugh had no idea that his creation would be seen by millions of people worldwide.

I've often thought this also. If he had had any idea how big and how much income that guitar and that man would make his guitar shop I wonder if he would have done things differently.

I was thinking that perhaps it is some sort of height adjuster for the GK. it's certainly not part of the GK Kit.

It's so frustrating that there are no better pictures available.

I'm hoping maybe Bobbles or someone else who has seen the real thing can shed some light on it??

come on, that was over 10 years ago! i just remember it being a heavy motherfucker

i can't find the photo but the original didn't have the springs on the Roland pickup