Thoughts on Rocksmith

Spike

I've been looking into giving Rocksmith a try to hopefully learn to play the guitar and was wondering what peoples thoughts on it were. Do you think that it could be useful for a begginer such as myself who has never tried learning yet, or has anyone here given it a try themselves.

For anyone who doesn't know, Rocksmith is a game / learning tool that you can get on the PS3, XBox360 or PC. It's similar to Guitar Hero / Rockband, but whereas they are more like games and are about getting high scores, Rocksmith uses a real guitar and teaches you how to use it.

It looks something like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdVLyXij1c&feature=g-hist

So what do you guys think?

I actually picked it up yesterday. It's probably harder to learn with that just sitting down with a tab because you've got to attack the whole song, in real time and basically play by sight reading without looking at your guitar.

It's probably not that easy for a beginner even though it starts you off with simplified versions of songs.

If you've got plenty of patience give it a go because I think over time it could be really good, but I wouldn't expect it alone to be enough to teach you.

I used to be a pretty shitty guitar player (I'm a drummer).

I bought the game, and with some patience, i can play things i didn't think i would be able to.

my finger action is much better.

and the guys making the game have a good taste on picking the songs, and they are always updating their store with more songs to buy.

i like it a lot.

Yeah my main reason for buying it was to give me more motivation to sit down with my guitar and to learn songs that I wouldn't usually bother to learn.

I'm getting more used to the interface now and am enjoying it more.

The mini games for learning chord shapes/names and scales is very useful too.

It can be. I guess PC would be fine, but through 360 or PS3 you have to run the audio through the analogue cables into speakers that have no digital processing going into them.

For instance if I run it into my surround system I get latency, but running it into the line in of my Yamaha amp I don't.

It's a bit of a pain really...

I bought it a week ago. There is one issue which i have with it and that looking back at the fret board to find out where you fingers are. By the time you've looked back up you might of missed a note or two. But overall its not to bad. I mainly got it for the technique and games as i'm wanting to learn scales but i find learning scales really boring.

Although when i'm playing a song i know I'm playing all the notes but the game won't pick that up and starts me off with about half of the notes being available. Playing all of the notes doesn't affect anything and it never adds any more. You have to play it how the game wants you to play the song before i decides to adds more notes for you. That i find frustrating

you can go to the leveller feature in the riff repeater section and rank up songs quickly if you know how to play them.

as for looking at the fretboard, i know what you mean but i think it's good to get used to knowing where you are without looking.

you can go to the leveller feature in the riff repeater section and rank up songs quickly if you know how to play them.

as for looking at the fretboard, i know what you mean but i think it's good to get used to knowing where you are without looking.

I'd rather just be able to turn on or off the auto feature. Would make things less frustrating

Its more moving up and down the fret board that the hard part to get right all the time without looking. If your just playing a scale across all strings then that's easy. But Sliding from one octave to another does require a look every now and again

if you learn the song even a little you could look down at the fretboard and know what you need to be playing?

True and then the point of playing the song using your xbox is pointless IMO. I'd want to then play it through an amp.

also true. i like it for the backing track/ timing practice and for making me play songs i wouldn't usually bother to learn.

i'm tempted to get a Y cable to i can have my proper guitar signal going straight to my amp and then the rocksmith cable doing to the ps3.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to play this game with the audio from your HD TV or anything that isn't an analog system, forget it. the latency is very annoying and you won't be able to play anything.

There is a setting on the game that you can ajust the video latency if you want the fretboard to come earlier or something, but so far, they didn't come up with a solution for the guitar delay (I think it's either impossible or it will be a very expensive solution).

the cable that comes with it actually converts the analog audio signal into a digital signal, and that causes a bit of latency, but nothing that prevents you from playing (hell, most people won't even notice it).

What I find weird is that, since the audio signal is already in it's digital form on the playstation or xbox, and there is no more need to convert the signal if you plug it in your HDTV through a HDMI cable,why does the TV adds so much latency?

It's very very weird to me, cause using the analog output from your playstation, the signal is actually converted again from digital to analog, and that adds more latency to the signal. but this is the only way to play this game with an acceptable latency.

Does the HDTV delays the audio signal for some reason? maybe to process the HD video??

Archived