Just a little something

MattMuse1991

Today I thought I would do a quick recording of a Muse preset I made from scratch on guitar rig and just to show some of you who aren't familiar with It what kind of thing you can achieve.

It's not much but I actually tried to get the 2010 era tone for santa, It's far from perfect but I tried for a good half hour to try and copy that tone as best I could.

Ahh yes, sorry! It was made In guitar rig 4 and the amp was an ultrasonic head (which I believe Is modelled on a bogner) Is the closest you're going to get to a vh4 sim In guitar rig and It sounds great! with It, I also used an orange cab. finally I then added In a graphic EQ to push the amp harder and try to get as much bass boost on the low E as possible and just played around with the mids and highs until It sounded good. I was also quite picky with volumes as such as I wanted a good balance of compression and clarity. I have only listened to It back through my laptop speakers as of yet so I need to have a good listen through some monitors to see If that powerful low end thud which I keep trying to achieve Is there. I had the bass flat out to try and get there as that's obviously a huge part of the tone.

Large amounts of distortion like that will always sound compressed & boxy regardless of whether it is a sim or the real thing.

Needs less bass and more high end, sounds like you're trying to make up for the lack of a bass guitar to fill in the low end.

Yeah if it was less compressed it'd be really close. It's pretty good anyway!

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/matthewmuse91/eruption-van-halen-cover-by[/soundcloud]

Is this you? If so, holy shit :LOL: That track's one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Yes, that was me. I'd like to think that clip shows how much easier it Is for one to try and replicate EVH's tone compared to MB's!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know what some of you mean by too much bass, compression but upon listening to santa, that's kinda what I'm hearing. His tone generally sounds compressed to my ears anyway. There Is so much low end In there due to me trying to achieve the power of that particular guitar. The one thing that strikes me about santa every time he picks It up Is that there Is a lot of hi-end definition on all strings except the bottom E which seems very mellow compared to all other strings

Watch right at the end where they play the outro, that's exactly what I'm on about

Yes, that was me. I'd like to think that clip shows how much easier it Is for one to try and replicate EVH's tone compared to MB's!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know what some of you mean by too much bass, compression but upon listening to santa, that's kinda what I'm hearing. His tone generally sounds compressed to my ears anyway. There Is so much low end In there due to me trying to achieve the power of that particular guitar. The one thing that strikes me about santa every time he picks It up Is that there Is a lot of hi-end definition on all strings except the bottom E which seems very mellow compared to all other strings

Watch right at the end where they play the outro, that's exactly what I'm on about

I was focusing more on the playing... tone is great but the playing is bloody superb

I take back what I said about the amp sims in guitar rig. I've just ran the amps from guitar rig (just the amps, no cabs) into the power amp on my DSL and they sounded great, really great! The JCM800 sounded spot on and they all sounded convincing...so good in fact that I'm tempted to use them over my DSL and just run straight into the power amp.

4. I do have 5 but I feel 5 over complicates things so I'm sticking with 4 for my live setup. I usually use it for all my modulation live but running the amp sims this way really has changed my chain of thought when it comes to my setup.

Edit: Just thought I'd better mention my single chain is guitar-art usb dual preamp-guitar rig 4-art usb dual preamp (using the outputs)-amp

Archived