Human Gear Animato

Allex

Yeah Voskhod will be available in a month or so though.

I know it wasn't what people were expecting. At this point, I've wired 24 boards for testing and so far so good. I didn't want to get people to pay until I can absolutely guarantee I can ship it straight away.

Well hopefully the wood police won't go after it because of the fretboard. I was told I needed a permit now to import anything with wood, but it seems to be nonsense. We'll find out soon though...

Shit, I totally forgot about the new rosewood ban :'(:'(:'( I'll keep you updated on how it goes through customs and all :'(

Yeah Voskhod will be available in a month or so though.

I know it wasn't what people were expecting. At this point, I've wired 24 boards for testing and so far so good. I didn't want to get people to pay until I can absolutely guarantee I can ship it straight away.

Good good. How much of a difference is there compared to the original version?

Shit, I totally forgot about the new rosewood ban :'(:'(:'( I'll keep you updated on how it goes through customs and all :'(

Somehow I don't think EMS (which becomes USPS on this end) is going to go through the trouble of checking whether it contains rosewood or not. But I don't know. Is this second hand? It seems that most Fenders that are available to the US from Japan are second hand, but I have seen one or two dealers that have new ones.

Good good. How much of a difference is there compared to the original version?

These work better than both of the last revisions. It responds better to actives, like the original pedal. The first revision handled them well but had some saturation, the second used one powerful silicon instead of two germs and reduced noise but with really hot pickups added extra unwanted clipping that I didn't favour and seemed a touch brighter.

There is the gate and blend now anyway to help that. Odd too since I just bought a Switchblade GL, so mixing 3 signal chains from one bass is easy without blends.

Somehow I don't think EMS (which becomes USPS on this end) is going to go through the trouble of checking whether it contains rosewood or not. But I don't know. Is this second hand? It seems that most Fenders that are available to the US from Japan are second hand, but I have seen one or two dealers that have new ones.

It's brand new, probably NOS forgotten somewhere. Not much information on the Lake Placid Blue available, the 4 usual colors are Black, Red, Dolphin Grey and Gun Metal Blue. According to some German website, LPB was a limited FSR edition, so I really hope the wood police won't touch it. :facepalm: Today's a federal holiday so I wouldn't know if it's stuck in customs for a couple more days :facepalm:

Also, this is the seller. Asked him if the Animato was still available in Japan - apparently he found one brand new. I can't justify that price though (animated + voskhod, and then some), but it'll probably be gone in a couple days? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Human-Gear-Animato-Distortion-NEW-Free-Shipping-From-Japan/122313089335?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37338%26meid%3D6c5aadc70cd2437b818f3dd3e7a74356%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D122313089335%26clkid%3D1910655594340741866&_qi=RTM2247625

Also, this is the seller. Asked him if the Animato was still available in Japan - apparently he found one brand new. I can't justify that price though (animated + voskhod, and then some), but it'll probably be gone in a couple days? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Human-Gear-Animato-Distortion-NEW-Free-Shipping-From-Japan/122313089335?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37338%26meid%3D6c5aadc70cd2437b818f3dd3e7a74356%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D122313089335%26clkid%3D1910655594340741866&_qi=RTM2247625

That price is about accurate. I paid a touch less, but it involved some importing from Japan through a middle man. :stunned:

You don't need the original. My version sounds no different and has the blend control so you aren't scratching your head with where the low's disappeared to, it was the number one request with them.

That price is about accurate. I paid a touch less, but it involved some importing from Japan through a middle man. :stunned:

You don't need the original. My version sounds no different and has the blend control so you aren't scratching your head with where the low's disappeared to, it was the number one request with them.

Yeah, I want yours more anyway. Smaller enclosure and all :awesome:

How's the Voskhod compared to the Russian Big Muff? I'll get that one too, but I was kinda hoping that the enclosure would be black so it'll look cool next too the Animated :rolleyes:

Ah sweet, that'll help, I'll scour and see what exists for that particular pedal.

Any luck?

No?

Pl4YnXM.jpg

It arrived this afternoon - I'm going to try it with both guitar and bass tomorrow. The transistor definitely still has a label on it, and it looks like whatever was on the opamp was intentionally scratched off, but a tiny bit still remains. Probably not enough to find out what it is though.

Also, it appears to be dated 1999 on the inside, so I guess these haven't been made in a while.

I might have to get one and reverse engineer it. It won't be too difficult. If they've removed all the capacitor values, I'll just have to pick and place each one until it matches.

No idea why you would bother sanding down an IC. It's probably going to be a Proco RAT derivative. The IC and transistor suggest that.

Edited by Crowella

I might have to get one and reverse engineer it. It won't be too difficult. If they've removed all the capacitor values, I'll just have to pick and place each one until it matches.

No idea why you would bother sanding down an IC. It's probably going to be a Proco RAT derivative. The IC and transistor suggest that.

I only looked quickly yesterday, and I think it's just the IC that has the name removed.

Do you think you'll be able to find one? From what I gather, the guy who built these now has something to do with those katanasound pedals. Not surprisingly, they had one or two of those at the Muse VIP thing as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/zDgFBPHXax/

....I'll let you know if it's actually worth reverse engineering.

I might go surfing to find one. If it's that sound in Defector, I am hearting it. :-D

A decent pic of the underside and a few angles of the one on top and I can easily reverse it.

Did a quick start. Sadly the photo isn't contrasts me enough for the middle of the board. Figured out which bit is where though. Interesting to ground straight to the case. I also assume this isn't true bypass.

What this means is, there isn't too much to this. I can knock out the switching, 9V and 4.5V voltage divider, diode protection and input caps

Edited by Crowella

Tried it with 6 string electric so far. Initial impressions... not too great.

Might be better with bass, but it seems like more of an overdrive, and it has quite a lot of that decay or whatever following the notes. I understand that's from the solid state crystal lettuce?

Will post more once I try it with bass. I'll give it a go with the clean blend on the LS-2 as well.

And it doesn't sound anything like a rat to me. I can't remember what the hot cake sounds like though.

It's looking very much like a clone of the Hotcake. Jaicen is winning. :)

Looking at the youtube demos (I know...) of the hotcake, it doesn't really sound like that.

Are there any major differences that you've noticed so far? I'll get some additional pictures soon

I did have to do some guesswork because I still couldn't figure out a third of the PCB but this is the only one that makes logical sense. A buffer, DPDT bypass, sort-of-but-not-quite Hotcake, BMP tone stack.

I'm curious to try it out. James, how does it go on bass?

It's decent enough with bass. Maybe it is intended to be a bass overdrive? Although I'm not sure what the difference would be.

And I'd say it has a fairly decent amount of overdrive. It's not a proper distortion pedal though.

The main thing that's a bit weird is the controls... basically the tone goes from a dark and somewhat usable tone, to a harsh brighter tone. Not really an in between sound.

And the drive control doesn't add a whole lot unless it's turned up a decent amount.

What bass amp do you use, James? I feel like I should get some real amps, but I have so much moving in the foreseeable future :facepalm:

So excited for the Animated. Now, the question is how many Voskhod's are we allowed to get? :ninja:

It's one that the guy who repairs my amps built. Not sure what it's comparable to, but I don't think many amps have a built in big muff like this one. You don't need a massive head and cabinet setup, but I would probably have a separate amp for bass.

And yes. I quite liked the original version - maybe a little more than the real animato.