Uprising Guitar

MattMuse1991

If there are any guitarists present then here is one for you :)

Does anyone know if Matt has his Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Humbucker coil tapped?

Was just watching Uprising Live on Top of the Pops Christmas Special 2009 and thought

that his tone was very thin despite the fact he was playing the Red Glitter guitar

Anyone?

Moved to the correct forum.

It doesn't appear to be coil tapped. This picture shows a normal pot for the tone control (which is where the coil tap usually is)

757px-Glitteratidamage.jpg

He may have been using a completely different amp setup for that, which could be the reason.

The Manson MB1 is coil tapped though isn't it? i just don't understand how he can make the Nailbomb sound as thin as it does in that video. I have tried different sounds and yet cannot get that tone from my Nailbomb humbucker it's just too powerful even if i turn the gain down and have the treble up full!

The Manson MB1 is coil tapped though isn't it? i just don't understand how he can make the Nailbomb sound as thin as it does in that video. I have tried different sounds and yet cannot get that tone from my Nailbomb humbucker it's just too powerful even if i turn the gain down and have the treble up full!

Yeah, I see what you mean, but if I remember correctly he was using a line 6 pedal board and no amp for at least one of those TOTP performances. It doesn't sound THAT thin to me to be honest, but it doesn't sound like the guitar tone he normally has.

What guitar do you have your nailbomb in? if it's mahogany bodied for example, that might be one of the reasons it sounds bigger etc (the red glitter is a fender style basically and had an ash body)

When i said thin i meant twangy....almost like a strat/tele tone.

The nailbomb is installed on my Ibanez RG09. I was always just expecting the pickup to do all the work and 'get that tone' sort of thing to be honest. If he was using his black manson with the BKP92s in the bridge i wouldn't have questioned the tone. I am unaware of any pedals/amps out there that make a humbucker sound like a single coil? Did Matt use the red glitter guitar for the studio version of Uprising too?

When i said thin i meant twangy....almost like a strat/tele tone.

The nailbomb is installed on my Ibanez RG09. I was always just expecting the pickup to do all the work and 'get that tone' sort of thing to be honest. If he was using his black manson with the BKP92s in the bridge i wouldn't have questioned the tone. I am unaware of any pedals/amps out there that make a humbucker sound like a single coil? Did Matt use the red glitter guitar for the studio version of Uprising too?

No idea, but he's said how he prefers 007 (the first black manson, which now has a P90 in the bridge) for recording. Hard to say if it's that guitar or not, but it does sound a bit single coil like in the recording.

I really don't think the red glitter is coil tapped to be honest - the twangy sort of sound might just be from the guitar itself, as it is a fender style.

This was the pedalboard I was talking about...I was sure someone mentioned he used it for TV performances

m13.jpg

Line 6 M13

And Tom, I'm not sure - I can't tell whether it's plugged in or not.

you'd definitely hear the difference if it was coil tapped. Coil tapped humbuckers sound like single coils, and uprising is far too beefy for that.

I'd say no.

Dis. I just tried it on the MB-1, through the M13 and AC30 (very Matt-ish setup) and it's definitely not tapped. It does sound different, but that could be from a number of things.

Edit: To me, it doesn't sound as "thin" as it does lower volume/gain. Like Tom said, could be something to do with the Dickinson--that would've been pretty early on after TR had dropped, so maybe they didn't have everything quite up to snuff for TV performances?

Archived