I'm a man with small hands trying to play a guitar =(

oscar_encinas_pattzy

Hello!

Do you remember me? Nope. Okay. Well, I'm posting here because I asked a lot of people already and they get me all confused.

The fact is that I really want to learn to play the guitar flawlessly and I've been trying a long time but my hands are damn small and I have a 4/4 guitar. Do you think it's a good idea to get another one? My hands are woman sized, almost kid sized (I'm 5,9 anyway but still my hands are small)... I don't know, I'm getting frustrated, my fingers really can't reach but... ah! I don't know.

What size of guitar would you recommend to me? Today I went to some stores and I found one that I really felt comfortable with but I don't remember the size.

Just in case, I'm talking about acoustic guitars... I'm very into the Mexican, Spanish and other kind of music too... and I want to take advantage of my latin looks someday and play some very latin music in my comfortable guitar and be able to enjoy it and feel good about it and get girls to say "OMG, latin dude with guitar singing that Desperado song..." anything, just anything... But damn, help, I'm going nuts!

Any guitar maniacs here who can guide me a little? I've read that people, even small people, use 4/4 full guitars but I swear I can't get my fingers that far... It's been too long and I repeat, I'm getting frustrated... because of that and not being in L.A. for July the 30th, I've been back into my hole two weeks ago.

Hugs and kisses, lots of love my Muse-lover friends.

Oscar Ricardo

Hello!

Do you remember me? Nope. Okay. Well, I'm posting here because I asked a lot of people already and they get me all confused.

The fact is that I really want to learn to play the guitar flawlessly and I've been trying a long time but my hands are damn small and I have a 4/4 guitar. Do you think it's a good idea to get another one? My hands are woman sized, almost kid sized (I'm 5,9 anyway but still my hands are small)... I don't know, I'm getting frustrated, my fingers really can't reach but... ah! I don't know.

What size of guitar would you recommend to me? Today I went to some stores and I found one that I really felt comfortable with but I don't remember the size.

Just in case, I'm talking about acoustic guitars... I'm very into the Mexican, Spanish and other kind of music too... and I want to take advantage of my latin looks someday and play some very latin music in my comfortable guitar and be able to enjoy it and feel good about it and get girls to say "OMG, latin dude with guitar singing that Desperado song..." anything, just anything... But damn, help, I'm going nuts!

Any guitar maniacs here who can guide me a little? I've read that people, even small people, use 4/4 full guitars but I swear I can't get my fingers that far... It's been too long and I repeat, I'm getting frustrated... because of that and not being in L.A. for July the 30th, I've been back into my hole two weeks ago.

Hugs and kisses, lots of love my Muse-lover friends.

Oscar Ricardo

I'm pretty sure classical guitars usually have a much bigger fretboard that regular guitars... This could be a problem. I know I find some chords that I can make without a second thought on an electric much harder on a classical guitar.

Also, how long have you been playing? When everyone starts they often find it hard to reach certain chords and notes. One of the main things is you have to relax your fingers and make sure you aren't tensing up when trying to reach notes. Practising scales can also help increase the distance you can stretch, especially if you alternate between only using certain fingers.

I'm don't see why you would need a smaller guitar, but if you've found one that feels comfortable and has a good sound then go for it!

Yeah, the necks on classical guitars are noticeably wider.

Oscar, is the guitar you currently have a classical guitar?

I would go back and see what guitar it is you were comfortable with, and maybe consider trading your current one in if you're not comfortable with it. It might be more the guitar's neck than your hands. My hands aren't small, but I still found it pretty awkward to play my teacher's classical guitar.

Don't know if this helps but as a person of small stature (5'2") I found full body guitar too bulky for me. I actually have a fender telecoustic and the smaller body and neck works well for me.

Classical guitars have big chunky necks. However, when I was a child, I had child sized hands, and I learned on classical guitar. Likewise I used to teach a 8 year old girl who had absolutely tiny hands, and she learned on a classical acoustic.

So basically, unless you're going to post pics of some genetically mutated tiny-hands, i'll have to tell you to suck it up you massive pussy.

If you're a man with small hands, grab your whammy by the glands

whammy till you're stiff, whammy till you're in bliss

If no whammies are available, you're either female or homosexual

Which would explain the problem with your hands: they're not the size of a man's!

If you're a man with small hands, grab your whammy by the glands

whammy till you're stiff, whammy till you're in bliss

If no whammies are available, you're either female or homosexual

Which would explain the problem with your hands: they're not the size of a man's!

Where do you get this stuff? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oscar, you should probably get either a steel-string acoustic (ie not classical) or an electric, they should have necks that are much easier to play. I'm 5'7 and I learned on a classical, so I know what you're saying.

With that thought, someone should really start making classical guitars with "normal"-thickness necks...

Thanks for the replies. I've been practicing like for 6 years but not that regularly. I'm able to play most of the songs I want but when it comes to riffs and more normal stuff, things I want to play while singing and stuff it's really hard.

Yes, my hands are really small, as I said, female small hands, Asian-like. I have friends who are shorter than me and have big, big hands compared to mine.

My guitar, yes it's a typical classical, with the really wide neck but I have a lot of love to that guitar as it was my first. The one I found I think it was a 3/4 guitar, the sound was a little more sweet but I liked it, I was able to move my fingers around and reach for notes and chords I normally wouldn't be able to... but I'm not sure, I'm not sure...! The guitar is kind of expensive but I know with a little work and effort I can get it soon. I want it to be like my "ultimate" guitar as I want one with the right standards for me to play all my life... I'm really done with this huge guitar I think... and I'm left handed, it should be easier to move my fingers around and reach but trust me it's not.

The one I found it's a really nice AAA Yamaha classical shaped 3/4 guitar, don't know the exact model but it looks, sounds and feels so good, so, so good... but well, time will tell, right...? RIGHT?

It sounds like for classical stuff you're actually fine with your current guitar, but you also want to be able to do a bit of rocking? In which case a steel strung acoustic might be a better option as the necks tend to be thinner.

I don't know about brands of classical guitar. I just know that in a studio one time they had a yamaha nylon strung acoustic and it was ace to play - not like my chunky old learners.

Thanks for the replies. I've been practicing like for 6 years but not that regularly. I'm able to play most of the songs I want but when it comes to riffs and more normal stuff, things I want to play while singing and stuff it's really hard.

Yes, my hands are really small, as I said, female small hands, Asian-like. I have friends who are shorter than me and have big, big hands compared to mine.

My guitar, yes it's a typical classical, with the really wide neck but I have a lot of love to that guitar as it was my first. The one I found I think it was a 3/4 guitar, the sound was a little more sweet but I liked it, I was able to move my fingers around and reach for notes and chords I normally wouldn't be able to... but I'm not sure, I'm not sure...! The guitar is kind of expensive but I know with a little work and effort I can get it soon. I want it to be like my "ultimate" guitar as I want one with the right standards for me to play all my life... I'm really done with this huge guitar I think... and I'm left handed, it should be easier to move my fingers around and reach but trust me it's not.

The one I found it's a really nice AAA Yamaha classical shaped 3/4 guitar, don't know the exact model but it looks, sounds and feels so good, so, so good... but well, time will tell, right...? RIGHT?

I see what you mean. If your current guitar has sentimental value, then I'd just keep saving and buy one you are comfortable with.

Do you really want a classical again, or can it be a steel string or something?

All I can really suggest is try as many guitars as you can, find what you're most comfortable with, and go with that one. Make sure it's the one you'd want to play for the rest of your life as you say, and that you're not going to regret it in any way.

I see what you mean. If your current guitar has sentimental value, then I'd just keep saving and buy one you are comfortable with.

Do you really want a classical again, or can it be a steel string or something?

All I can really suggest is try as many guitars as you can, find what you're most comfortable with, and go with that one. Make sure it's the one you'd want to play for the rest of your life as you say, and that you're not going to regret it in any way.

I'll check! A steel string one would be good too as the design is more comfortable... as long as I'm able to play those classic, folcloric sounds I'm happy. Thanks a lot for your reply, man!

Thanks a lot everybody!

Archived