Fernandes Sustainer Kits

Mick4Kizna

If this belongs in an already posted thread, please let me know. I want to install a Fernandes Sustainer into my telecaster. This seems like a good personal project on my guitar. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what tools I'll need and any other helpful tips. I'm pretty sure the kits come with directions for the actual installation. Many thanks, and sorry again if this should be somewhere else. It's sad I've been playing for 12 years and never modded my guitar.

I have the ability to do it. I just wanted to make sure I had the tools I needed before I bought the thing. And it would cost me a fortune to have Manson's do it. I could buy a new guitar if I broke it trying to install the sustainer and it would still be cheaper. Thanks though.

I put one in a tele. I had to get it routed for the kit, I put it under the pickguard as that seemed easier than having switches through wood to me. I have the battery in the control panel and ditched the tone pot for the intensity one. The sustainer driver is bigger than a tele single coil, I don't think I had to do further routing there but Im sure I had to alter pick guard for it. I also got the bridge routed for a humbucker, but sure you could use a single coil sized one. I seem to remember having to extend wires too cos the kit ones weren't long enough.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone ever customised a Fernandes Sustainer? i.e, changed the colour or chrome finished the sustainer?!

Black ones are too boring now and finding a white one is like gold dust!

white ones exist? :eek:

musecasters customized a single coil sustainer for his chrome bomber copy.

IMG_1061-Copy.jpg

i polished off the black on the metal parts to show the metal, and cover the black plastic on the pickup with chrome vinyl, then brushed over with laquer. not the neastest job up close but works perfect

Archived