Amp and pedal problems

Juggernuart2

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or off topic, I am new to the fourms and I don't know if this has been asked before

I have a Marshall MG 15FX amp and a Boss ME-70 Multi effects pedal and I have been having some technical problems, I think.

I have a ESP LTD Viper 50 guitar, but I don't think that has anything to do with it

When i turn my amp off it makes a popping sound, this happens in all the channels, it also makes a pop when I turn plug in the pedal

Also when I have the amp turned on it make a fuzzy noise also in all channels (Feedback I think )

When I use my pedal it turns itself off then back on then repeats until I take the plug out, It does not have an off switch

Thank you :)

Sorry I can not take a photo of it but I will try to describe it

Guitar is attached to to the Pedal which is attached to the amp and the amp is attacted to power board which also has a few other things attached to it, and the power board is attached to the power point

Guitar ---- Pedal ---- Amp ---- Power board ---- Power point.

The problem started after about a month.

Guitar > Pedal > Amp > Computer > MS Powerpoint??

You need to elaborate a bit more. Give us details on the pedals, amps, "powerboard", and "presentation" things. Certain pedals are known for being very difficult, particularly wahs. The more details the better.

Marshall MG 15FX amp, is placed under a desk on the floor. I have had it for a year. I belive it is a solid state amp.

Boss ME-70 Multi effects pedal, placed near the amp on the floor. I have had it for a month. I belive it is digital.

ESP LTD Viper 50 guitar

No computer

The power board (Power strip, Extension lead) has 4 sockets and are usually always all use, one with the amp, one with a fan, one with a lamp and the other for a phone charger.

The power point has 2 sockets with 1 being used for the power board.

Amp & Pedal connected with an average lead, which is curled up behind the amp so it does not get stepped on and it is always connected.

I have the same multieffects pedal. As you say, it doesn't have an on switch, it turns on when you plug in your guitar in it (or any other cable in the input jack), and will stay on unless you either unplug your guitar, or the power cable.

If you say it erratically turns on and off, I think that means something is not securely connnected with your guitar cable and makes the unit think the cable is being unplugged when it hasn't been, so check it. It can also be a power cable issue as others have said.

As for the fuzzy noise, check first that you are not running any setting on the multieffects pedal that would cause it, like very high gain or running the compressor with high levels of volume. So I'd recommend unselect any effect, set the amp emulation to either clean or off, and see if there is any fuzz. Also on your physical amp, run through a clean channel first.

What adapter are you using? Is there any way it could short circuit? It could be a lot of things so the description you've given is not very helpful I'm afraid...

If you want to be sure you should try getting a new cable? Not sure what the quality of your cable is?

If batteries fixed the pedal, obviously there's something wrong getting power to it from the adapter. You've only had it a month, take it back to the shop.

Radio through your amp can be a dodgy jack cable, dodgy wiring in the guitar, or dodgy input socket on the amp. The fuzzy noise you're on about, is it a hiss, or a hum? Like SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS or EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR

if its only a 15 watt amp then you will get a buss/hum feedback if u have the volume all the way up. By a better amp to solve that problem.The popping sound when u turn on/off unplug stuff etc is not good for your amp tbh. When u unplug, turn on/off etc Always make sure to turn your volume off first. Un-pluggin with the volume on can damage your equipment in the long run.

also turning your volume on full can overdrive your signel and cause distortion to appear. You want it more 3 quarters. Unless that's the sound ur aiming for

I agree on getting a power supply for your pedal rather than batteries. Don't get a daisy chained one if you're not gonna hook them all up, they could short circuit and force the pedal to reboot.

To get rid of the hum, I suggest you set your pedal on as much output as you can without distorting the signal. In my opinion (and this is general for recording / amplifying) you should always have the highest output signal as possible and the lowest amplification, because any hum you send out, will be amplified a lot.

Archived