3rd Year Uni Project - Guitar Tab Search Engine

tomrulez

I remember coming across a site before that had lessons on techniques, and then had a song tab based on that technique. It could be good to have, for certain tabs, associated technique video tutorial things. For example, ages ago, when i wanted to practice some simple tapping techniques, I learnt Roses for the Dead by Funeral for a Friend (OMFG GET OUT EMO BOI!!!) and Aerodynamic by Daftpunk (OMG GET OUT ELECTRONICA BOI!!!). It could be cool to have an associated tutorial for those songs, so that if you click on the tab for them, a little notice at the top where it has details like tuning, effects etc, you could have a little link saying "Featured Technique: Tapping." and a link to the tutorial, based on that song.

Looking forward to seeing it tom. Good luck!!

what you writing it in? any idea what you're using as your search engine? /nerd

oh and also my idea would be to take turn tabs on their head and rather than it being a large number of text / other files that you have to check out individually for correctness based on ratings. instead turn it on its head, lower the barrier for entry by making an interface to enter tabs dead easily and rather than multiple versions of a single tab have just one for a particular song (obviously different ones for different versions) with people able to collaboratively (like a wiki) replace parts/section and vote on whats most accurate. and by having it via your own interface might be able to then export the tab to the format of the users choice (text by instrument, guitar pro, power tab) and allow them to listen via midi too to check correctness. (probably way out of your project scope though)

you'd use php still as your server side scripting and mysql as your database but those bits of software would do the searching cos databases tend to be bad for it and doing relevance or something in php is kinda reinvintening the wheel

• 5 months later...

Not sure if you guys remember this but I've got the site developed and could do with some feedback. The site is mostly functional although it was meant to have an advanced search feature but I ran out of development time. It will be interesting to see what you people think. Please leave feedback using the feedback page if possible also :)

URL = http://www.tabsearch.co.uk

Archived