So I've decided to become disco...

W.Bruce

Unfortunatly I don't have a synth. But I've recently discovered that our Yamaha CLP-930 has loads of cool in- and outputs.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=2138&CTID=203500

I want to controll some cool software synth with it.. and It has some "TO HOST PC" output, I have no idea what that is but it has MIDI in/out as well!

So to pull this off I have figured I need these components:

- Computer(+Software)

- MIDI interface

- Cables

Anything else? One last thing.. say I'm controlling Ni KONTAKT or the like, will the sound come out from the piano speakers with the MIDI IN cable or should I leave it and play through the computer speakers?

Thanks!

The audio will come out of the computer, unless you feed it back into the keyboard from the computer, which is a bit pointless.

And most disco had no synth in it unless you want to be Georgio Moroder ;)

For example Deadmau5 and Armin v B. use mostly real synths. (for recording) The Daft Punk guys use only analog stuff. etc. Maybe i misunderstood your post though.

For example Deadmau5 and Armin v B. use mostly real synths. (for recording) The Daft Punk guys use only analog stuff. etc. Maybe i misunderstood your post though.

The genre of music from the 70's, disco, wasn't that synth orientated. Deadmau5, Daft Punk et al is House of some description, which came out of people trying to make disco music using electronic instruments.

Basically I was being unnecessarily srs and ruining a bit of a giggle with tr00f.

The genre of music from the 70's, disco, wasn't that synth orientated. Deadmau5, Daft Punk et al is House of some description, which came out of people trying to make disco music using electronic instruments.

Basically I was being unnecessarily srs and ruining a bit of a giggle with tr00f.

Yeah but as a newcomer to the world of synths on a rockband's forum i thought he refers to todays dancy music by disco. Two months ago i would call every electronic music disco music including not dancefloor oriented stuff like Aphex Twin.:LOL:

"Two months ago i would call every electronic music disco music including not dancefloor oriented stuff like Aphex Twin"

This is me now. :p With the title I was refering to someones signature on here - "If you want to be disco, get hold of a synth.." or something like that.

Aphex Twin is ace by the way! (Y)

Yeah, I thought you were referring to theman's sig, like I said, I just wanted to be annoying :)

IDM/Breakcore raves (Basically stuff like Aphex Twin) has to be the strangest possible night anyone can have :LOL:

i think its actually trad3marks sig, though its a quote of mine

i wouldnt really class aphex twin as IDM, though some of his stuff does fall into that genre, i think it would fit better under a wider classification like experimental electronica or something, as theres a wide range of stuff much different to his more well known ones.

and to answer the question, you could use your keyboard as a MIDI controller to your pc. ie. control kontakt using your keyboard. you'd just need to go from MIDI out on the keyboard to MIDI in on the computer. if you dont have a MIDI port on the computer, maybe consider getting a MIDI to USB cable to use instead, they do the same thing but one side has a USB port for interfacing with the computer.

the sound will come from the PC

i think its actually trad3marks sig, though its a quote of mine

i wouldnt really class aphex twin as IDM, though some of his stuff does fall into that genre, i think it would fit better under a wider classification like experimental electronica or something, as theres a wide range of stuff much different to his more well known ones.

Well IDM was originally a reference to music on Warp because of the Artificial Intelligence compilations and doesn't really refer to anything in particular in terms of sound.

Richard D James' early output and the majority of it in general (Analogue Bubblebath and Analord series) is definitely within IDM and a darker form of Acid House. Though tracks like Come To Daddy is full on breakcore.

mm.. i guess (and i think ive come to this conclusion a few times before) that putting a generic label on music is always tricky, especially with such varied artists like him.

True, but it's useful when you go to clubs or gigs as a rough guide.

Archived