I had to go to one of the meeting rooms this afternoon to "discuss my application" for the promotion. I won't lie to you, I was bloody terrified. I'd heard about all these gruelling tests people applying for similar positions in the past have been forced to go through.

But it was just to tell me that I'd got the job!

I'm now an editor. I used to be a producer, which meant I typed up captions from scratch for TV programmes, as well as doing the news; now my job is to edit the captions others have done, as well as still doing the news. And I'm meant to be the guy to answer people's questions and solve problems in the weeknight/weekend shifts now. It's just a bit more seniority, really.

Congratulations!

It sounds very flash :yesey:

Last invoice for the year goes in tomorrow at noon. I have to wake up at 5 and start work at 6. Not fun, but it's Christmas. I need the cash.

Especially because my bangle snapped the other day, and I had to take it into the jewellers to be repaired. They were impressed though. Apparently it's very old and baltic. Given the Russian/Hungarian side of the family, this makes sense and is nice because I'd kind of been worried they were going to look at it and be all 'Lolplastic' or something

Edited by lensip max

What would be your ideal ODI team of players from the last decade?

1. Lou Vincent

2. Nathan Astle

3. Stephen Fleming

4. Ross Taylor

5. Craig McMillan (or Scott Styris)

6. Chris Cairns

7. Brendon McCullum

8. Daniel Vettori

9. Chris Harris

10. Kyle Mills

11. Shane Bond

Vincent, Mills and McCullum? :noey:

Twose and Astle would be in mine. Geoff Allott...but I guess that's circa 1999.

Who was the cricketer who moved to the UK to be with his partner and recently was talking about coming back as he can't play in the UK as he's still considered an international player? Can't think of his name.

Iain O'Brien.

He had a hilarious blog. Not sure if he still does. When that Pakistan cricketer Zulqarnain Haider disappeared, he said it was "Haider and seek." :LOL:

Chris Nevin anybody?

:LOL:

At least McCullum still keeps in ODIs. And I guess he deserves to stay in Tests after scoring that 220 in India. Hopkins is dire, though.

And I saw the next guy in line, Van Wyk, in a televised game for the first time last week. He was AWFUL. Dropped a catch and let through heaps of byes. Ominous.

That's the one, I was thinking of Chris Drum...maybe he went to the UK as well? Someone was married to a vet.

Yeah, I think he did. Which is weird, because he just established himself in the team like one match earlier, after struggling for 10 years to make it to that point.

:LOL:

At least McCullum still keeps in ODIs. And I guess he deserves to stay in Tests after scoring that 220 in India. Hopkins is dire, though.

And I saw the next guy in line, Van Wyk, in a televised game for the first time last week. He was AWFUL. Dropped a catch and let through heaps of byes. Ominous.

At least Adam Parore was entertaining.

Anyway I'm going out for lunch, got the day off work today as I'm supposed to somehow use 8 days of leave before xmas eve but was not allowed to take any off. This was like the one compromise.

I'll never forget my twin brother going to Roger Twose "When you going to go back to England?" in such a way it sounded like he was telling him to go home. This must have been..err, 2000? At a game in Carisbrook. I was so embarrassed.

Haha, harsh! And that's after he got good. His '99 World Cup was awesome.

His record as an opener in ODIs is pretty good, though - 2212 runs at an average of 32.5, which is 4 runs higher than his career average.

That might be because he's had more bigger scores, due to more time to bat, but he's had a lot of low scores. I think he was more consistent down the order, and he was often one to get us home.

We do lack a proper opener other than Guptill in ODIs though.

That might be because he's had more bigger scores, due to more time to bat, but he's had a lot of low scores.

Probably true.

We do lack a proper opener other than Guptill in ODIs though.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'd much rather have McCullum opening than someone like How, Ingram, Cumming, Redmond, Papps or *shudder* either Marshall.

And it looks like Franklin could develop into a bit of a finisher in the middle to lower order, which would be fantastic. As long as we don't rely on him too much as a bowler.