http://tvnz.co.nz/politics-news/sensible-sentencing-trust-defends-garrett-3782605

This just gets better and better.

"Garrett yesterday admitted to using a dead baby's identity to obtain a passport 26 years ago." I can't believe that. That's despicable. What would it be like for the family of the baby?

And, of course, this is fabulous - the Sensible Sentencing Trust saying "they recognised people make mistakes in their lives and 'most put those mistakes behind them and become law abiding citizens'."

That's the complete opposite of what they stand for. They believe in the death penalty! I guess things are different when it's one of your own.

Yeah I don't understand that either!

I also don't get how when he was discharged without conviction the judge granted name suppression because there was "minimal public interest". The guy was involved in the Sensible Sentencing Trust at the time. There's ALWAYS public interest in hypocrisy.

liked this in stuff

IN GARRETT'S OWN WORDS

"If you target offenders at the lower end, you stop them from descending down the road to more serious crimes."

– Speech to Sensible Sentencing Trust, August 25.

"In the age of the internet, suppressing names can seem pointless to the point of [being] farcical."

– Blog post on June 16.

"Criminals are not stupid. They may not have university degrees or even have finished high school, but they know about cause and effect as it affects them."

– Speech to Parliament, May 25.

And it turns out Joyce was convicted of dangerous driving causing injury a few years ago. That's what you want in your Transport Minister.

He says he forgot about that conviction.

How would you forget being in a crash in which someone was injured? Luckily I haven't been involved in many crashes, but I remember a whole lot of near-misses, so I'm sure a crash would stay in my memory forever.

tell me...when the hell did the three strike law pass in new zealand and did anyone actually care?!

I think it passed last year. I wasn't pleased. :noey: In the US, the system has allowed people to be given life sentences for stealing socks. SOCKS!

I'm really loving the The Naked and Famous album. I very highly recommend checking it out. :)

Punching in a Dream is probably my favourite song on it at the moment. Catchy as hell.

I'm really liking this song. Gotta have my cousins send up the album for me, tis ossum! :awesome:

And because Elemeno P is getting a bit stale.