The topics in Muse lyrics

Pine-apple

Why is it that Muse tend to have songs related to topics which are often based around conspiracy theories and are questioned in the media, for example talking about mind control, aliens, and asks us whether we want to 'free our minds or stay hypnostised'.

'They'll try to push drugs that keep us all dumbed down

And hope that we will never see the truth around'

It is as if they are warning us of future problems or problems which are currently occurring in the world.

Edited by Pine-apple

I guess, why not?

Matt used to be hugely into conspiracy theories, and it heavily influenced his writing, and although he now claims his politics are more "nuanced" he's shown he still gets into some of the wilder theories in interviews, Twitter, etc.

He reads a ton of political non-fiction, and it's just stuff he's interested in, not really trying to "warn" anyone, or anything, or he'd be a lot more specific with his lyrics. They're pretty vague.

Oh, and after Showbiz, he said the lyrics were too personal, and when people ask questions about them, he didn't want to answer them, so he moved to the more political/ecological type stuff, even when he's writing about relationships or other topics.

IOh, and after Showbiz, he said the lyrics were too personal, and when people ask questions about them, he didn't want to answer them, so he moved to the more political/ecological type stuff, even when he's writing about relationships or other topics.

I agree with this. Plus, I think Matt's life has generally gotten better since the early days of the band. It was probably easier to write more personal songs back when things weren't really going his way I guess. That's why a lot of fans always root for Matt's heartbreak, which is just silly

I'm of the, maybe pessimistic, opinion that no matter where you are in life, there's always bad things happening, or even just bad feelings. There's artists that *never* stop writing depressing things, and I don't believe that's because their lives are never okay.

There's a BH&R interview where Matt said he found it challenging to write about stuff other than the "downsides" of things, and was going to focus on that challenge.

I think someone posted the quote in Album 7 recently.

It was a conscious decision.

Not sure if it was overly successful, as it seems incredibly common in even more recent time, for interviewers to call him negative, pessimistic, or dark.