2013.03.16 - US Airways Center, Phoenix AZ

AguanteRiver

Alright, I have a question. Anyone else staying at a hotel afterwards? If so, anyone know where a nice and cheap one close to the Airway Center? :p

I don't think you're going to find anything really cheap downtown, but the good news is, is that there are a few choices .;)

I would say the cheapest would have to be a Holiday Inn Express. But there is also a Marriott, and a Westin,the Renaissance and a Hyatt nearby.

Super excited! Saw them last month on the first night in LA and it's just my luck this Phoenix gig is on a Saturday...I'll be flying home (I'm in LA for college) and going with my brother. My 2nd Muse show, his first. Matt shook my hand during UD last time...maybe it'll happen again :D

Same here man! I'm coming home to phoenix from college the day before the show. Even though I only go to school 3 hours away at NAU haha

Taking the light rail is a great idea. You can ride it for free on the day of the gig, and it drops you off right outside the main entrance to USAC. It's also good if you don't want to pay downtown hotel prices or get shepherded by police after the gig (they ALWAYS do this, it's a pain to get out of there after gigs and sporting events).

If you still want to drive, the Jefferson St. garage and Louhrs (sp?) don't open until 5 PM for reserved parking. I'm actually doing some research right now; there are 2 places I've seen that allow all-day parking according to the internet, but I want to check and make sure, as I'll be queuing early that day. :cool:

Taking the light rail is a great idea. You can ride it for free on the day of the gig, and it drops you off right outside the main entrance to USAC. It's also good if you don't want to pay downtown hotel prices or get shepherded by police after the gig (they ALWAYS do this, it's a pain to get out of there after gigs and sporting events).

If you still want to drive, the Jefferson St. garage and Louhrs (sp?) don't open until 5 PM for reserved parking. I'm actually doing some research right now; there are 2 places I've seen that allow all-day parking according to the internet, but I want to check and make sure, as I'll be queuing early that day. :cool:

Yeah the light rail definitely seems like an easy way of getting there. If you here anything about all day parking that would be awesome if you could let me know.Also, what time are you thinking about queuing at?

Even if it's not free, it's cheaper than a cab :p How convenient it is depends on which hotel you stay at obviously. And you'll have a ticket stub to show on the way back at least.

I'm gonna drive a carpool. :) My mom will be in seats so she's coming later, but I'll pick up Catherine at her Tempe hotel and we'll drive out together Saturday morning.

How can one enter that contest?

It's over now unfortunately, it was going on Saturday and Sunday. You had to be the 9th caller when you heard Madness play and you won tickets and got entered for the grand prize meet & greet.

Still haven't seen anything about ping pong with the boys :unsure:.

It's over now unfortunately, it was going on Saturday and Sunday. You had to be the 9th caller when you heard Madness play and you won tickets and got entered for the grand prize meet & greet.

Still haven't seen anything about ping pong with the boys :unsure:.

I see, no problem, I emailed them and they told me the same thing :(

I don't think there is a ping-pong game contest though, no radio station has anything about it :erm:

I am hopeful on the backstage contest, myself and the 5 other people in my party have entries, here goes nothing! :D

Wow, so many newbies! :awesome:

Some general knowledge for you first-time visitors:

If you want to take the light rail and avoid staying downtown, you can take it up and down Central Avenue in Phoenix, or east past the airport and into Tempe. It goes straight through ASU territory and out towards Mesa, so if you want to stay in Tempe instead it's a good deal, just find a hotel near the university and you can hop on the train. There's only 1 light rail line, so if you're farther from Apache or Central you'll need to take a bus or find a park 'n ride lot.

Once you're in the queue, there are plenty of places to eat around the arena, especially the new CityScape. If you look for it on Google Earth you'll see a construction zone, but it really is there and it has stuff like Starbucks, Chipotle, Jimmy John's, a burger place, a CVS Pharmacy, and a few more restaurants and stores. Outside CityScape you also have a Hard Rock and Alice Cooperstown (home of the gigantic hot dog that could feed 6, plus lots of booze) as well as the slowest Paradise Bakery in the country and a popular Einstein Bros. bagel place at the Hyatt.

If you bought your tickets during the Muse presale, you can't get them before the day of the event. The box office doesn't even open until 10 AM, but according to the lady on the phone, they'll have a special table for us and then show us where to go (she wouldn't answer when I asked if there was more than one GA entrance :shifty:. Last time there was a lot of whining because they let people into GA from more than one, and people that waited all day ended up behind late arrivals, cause they opened one door before the others. Sigh.)

(Seriously, the USAC lady kept insisting that I wouldn't be able to get in, what did I want parking for? Has she never seen a GA queue?)

Now, the 24 hr parking lots. Phoenix is planning to upgrade a lot of parking meters to the digital ones that take credit cards, but for now just break a $20. You'll need it.

16 E MADISON ST: across the street from the arena to the west. Literally can't get any closer to the main entrance than this, but there's no listed price for special events.

PMB

125 E WASHINGTON ST: across the street from the arena to the north. This lot is actually a multi-level garage, only underground. The listed event price is $5-35, but I think I paid $15 last time I parked here. (I did come a lot later though). Just don't get stuck in the lower levels, or you'll be there forever. If you can park at the street level, you'll be just as close as the Madison lot.

1 W JACKSON ST: one block south and one block west. This one shows a $5-20 for special events.

COLLIER CENTER

201 E WASHINGTON ST: across the street to the northeast. This one has special event rates that go all the way up to $40, and it doesn't open until 9 AM so don't go unless you can't find anything else. lol This one takes credit cards though.

If you're not coming early, you can literally park wherever for $10. As you head northwest towards the Orpheum you'll find lots of garages and little parking lots, even the nifty ones with the new parking machines that take credit cards. :awesome:

Welcome to Phoenix, m'dears! Accuweather is predicting a high of 86 (30 Celsius) on gig day, with possible showers that afternoon (which in AZ weatherman-speak, means 5 minutes of sprinkling usually). Bring sunblock and tons of water. If we end up queuing at the main entrance we'll have some shade in the morning, but we'll be baking in the sun after that!

If you're wondering how I know all this, I live in Tempe, I've been to USAC many times, and I know google-fu. ;)

Wow, so many newbies! :awesome:

Some general knowledge for you first-time visitors:

If you want to take the light rail and avoid staying downtown, you can take it up and down Central Avenue in Phoenix, or east past the airport and into Tempe. It goes straight through ASU territory and out towards Mesa, so if you want to stay in Tempe instead it's a good deal, just find a hotel near the university and you can hop on the train. There's only 1 light rail line, so if you're farther from Apache or Central you'll need to take a bus or find a park 'n ride lot.

Once you're in the queue, there are plenty of places to eat around the arena, especially the new CityScape. If you look for it on Google Earth you'll see a construction zone, but it really is there and it has stuff like Starbucks, Chipotle, Jimmy John's, a burger place, a CVS Pharmacy, and a few more restaurants and stores. Outside CityScape you also have a Hard Rock and Alice Cooperstown (home of the gigantic hot dog that could feed 6, plus lots of booze) as well as the slowest Paradise Bakery in the country and a popular Einstein Bros. bagel place at the Hyatt.

If you bought your tickets during the Muse presale, you can't get them before the day of the event. The box office doesn't even open until 10 AM, but according to the lady on the phone, they'll have a special table for us and then show us where to go (she wouldn't answer when I asked if there was more than one GA entrance :shifty:. Last time there was a lot of whining because they let people into GA from more than one, and people that waited all day ended up behind late arrivals, cause they opened one door before the others. Sigh.)

(Seriously, the USAC lady kept insisting that I wouldn't be able to get in, what did I want parking for? Has she never seen a GA queue?)

Now, the 24 hr parking lots. Phoenix is planning to upgrade a lot of parking meters to the digital ones that take credit cards, but for now just break a $20. You'll need it.

16 E MADISON ST: across the street from the arena to the west. Literally can't get any closer to the main entrance than this, but there's no listed price for special events.

PMB

125 E WASHINGTON ST: across the street from the arena to the north. This lot is actually a multi-level garage, only underground. The listed event price is $5-35, but I think I paid $15 last time I parked here. (I did come a lot later though). Just don't get stuck in the lower levels, or you'll be there forever. If you can park at the street level, you'll be just as close as the Madison lot.

1 W JACKSON ST: one block south and one block west. This one shows a $5-20 for special events.

COLLIER CENTER

201 E WASHINGTON ST: across the street to the northeast. This one has special event rates that go all the way up to $40, and it doesn't open until 9 AM so don't go unless you can't find anything else. lol This one takes credit cards though.

If you're not coming early, you can literally park wherever for $10. As you head northwest towards the Orpheum you'll find lots of garages and little parking lots, even the nifty ones with the new parking machines that take credit cards. :awesome:

Welcome to Phoenix, m'dears! Accuweather is predicting a high of 86 (30 Celsius) on gig day, with possible showers that afternoon (which in AZ weatherman-speak, means 5 minutes of sprinkling usually). Bring sunblock and tons of water. If we end up queuing at the main entrance we'll have some shade in the morning, but we'll be baking in the sun after that!

If you're wondering how I know all this, I live in Tempe, I've been to USAC many times, and I know google-fu. ;)

Wow awesome! Many thanks for all of the info! And hope I'll see you at the show!

Sure you will :) Also, if we actually have the Gameworks Muser meet the night before, we can get together then. I have a couple of people that messaged me about it on Tumblr and Facebook but no one wants to commit until they know how many are coming (lol).

Archived