Digital effects - hated? e.g. native instruments

eivdjo

It seems to me like digital effects in general are pretty unpopular, as if anyone would discourage someone to use them. Is this the case with you guys in this forum?

I'd like to hear your opinions, why you like/dislike digital effects and software.

I've got NI guitar rig 5 and the rig kontrol 3 and have been using it since january, and it works just fine, its got all I need. Anyone else use this aswell?

Not only digital sucks but solid state analog too, we allow tubes only

But for realz

I have heard a few good sounding plugins especially when transparency is important and some good digital pedals too, i think the quality of reverbs and delays reached a level where you don't need analog circuits but the computing power of commercial CPUs are not at the level where they can run spot-on real-time simulations of more complex non-linear circuits like a tube amp, transistor/diode ladder filter, vintage studio compressors with different sources of clipping (transformer, transistor etc.) etc.

When you look at the digital/VST market the competition is still about who can make a better replica of age old analog stuff which says a lot really.

personally i don't mind them at all. i've got a few digital pedals which i like just fine.

i don't think it's so much the effects, but rather where the core tone is coming from. like plugging a digital pedal into a proper amp will sound fine (i am guilty of doing this), but when you're using something like a (now vintaeg) guitar port or similar, i don't like that as much.

that probably made no sense, but that's how i look at it

obviously it's better than nothing, and i often use amplitube on my iphone for practicing. they've definitely improved in the past few years anyway.

So the core sound is really the topic, I get that.

When you're saying fragile harmonics do you mean that they are weaker? If so, it really depends on a lot of things. I've got a couple of presets that almost have no harmonics, where as others are crazy loud by some components. Its basically the same with pinch harmonics as natural harmonics.

How about the core sound from digital amps? Like the combos you get with a lot of built in effects.

we did some tests a while ago and discovered that the only acceptable sounds come from tubes.

IT LIVES

i'm actually quite impressed with my yamaha modeling amp. sure, it's missing that SOMETHING, but honestly..i think the quality of modelers has improved greatly since stuff like the guitar port (which was cheesy as hell)

good read about men and modeling here

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=915362

When you look at the digital/VST market the competition is still about who can make a better replica of age old analog stuff which says a lot really.

I'd pretty much say this is the case.

You can do fine with digital amps/modellers and you can do fine with tube amps. It's all really about which one sounds best to you in your application. I know that sounds vague but in the last few years especially, digital effects have become a lot "better" and making their own way. Some bands rely solely on amp modellers now for their live sound but I'll put it this way...

If you need all the flexibility you can get, go digital. If you know the sound you want to nail, analog will likely be the way to go. Mix and match, do whatever. There are no set rules on how to achieve sound.

You can pretty much make any amp sound good, but if you're after the sound of a specific amp, you might as well get the real thing.

:ninja: shh!

Archived