String gauge

MattMuse1991

Hi there,

The only Info I could find on MB's strings Is that he goes for regular ernie ball 10s with a 60...

Is that 60 only on his 7 string guitars? I don't ever recall him drop tuning his bottom E lower than C on his 6 string guitars so surely he doesn't even need that 60 especially on the bomber which has the tremolo aswell?

There's no logic behind It considering he rarely goes lower than drop D on his 6 string guitars but I guess If that's what the man himself wants then so be It. Question is though how on earth does Matt get the bomber to stay In tune with such a messed up gauge?? I tried to match a 59 once with a set of 10s on my Ibanez RG which also has a locking trem and It would not stay In tune to save the world...threw It right off.

now it is. hmm looks pretty thick, but could easily be a .52 skinny top heavy bottom set imo

hard to tell. the 6th string still looks massive though.

I don't think it would be much of an issue as long as you have everything setup properly... going from a .046 to a .060 is going to pretty much throw the entire setup off.

Just thinking a floating trem probably needs even tension across the whole thing and a .60 tuned to E is going to be pulling a lot more than the rest of the strings. i guess once it's set up, tuned up and settled maybe it doesn't make a huge difference.

Just thinking a floating trem probably needs even tension across the whole thing and a .60 tuned to E is going to be pulling a lot more than the rest of the strings. i guess once it's set up, tuned up and settled maybe it doesn't make a huge difference.

The first guitar I bought was a crappy beat up no-name superstrat with a "licensed" floyd rose. One of the first things I did was slap a .60 on that sucker and after I adjusted the bridge, the sucker never went out of tune.

You just have to make sure you find a way to keep the bridge parallel when you're setting it up.

Archived