Octave Pedal on Bass

darknebula

Use the octave pedal to fill out your sound some more. In a three piece rock setting for example, I'd say this would be anywhere where the guitarist isn't playing or they are doing something very simple. It can also be used to fill out more riff orientated areas.

Experiment with it. It might be hard to notice at times but you can use one effectively to create a bigger wall of sound :)

Thanks for the posts! I'm in a 3 piece are we are going to record an album next month. There are some songs where the bass goes from the G string to the low E within a single riff and sounds like the Boss OC-3 would help it out. We recorded it once and sounded weak when it was up high. I do have a Line 6 M9 and it has an octaver in it, but I might as well just rent for the studio. One more question for you bass players out there, how do you get that beef over-driven tone on bass. Right now, the main distortion on the bass is a Malekko B:Ass Master. It is super beef and fuzzy, but I want a thick tone without the fuzz. If I could describe it in a song (the tone I want). I would say something along the lines of Chris's Showbiz tone, or the tone on Resistance- thick, but not fuzzy.

I heard Chris uses one, but never could hear it in a song.

afaik chris uses his OC-3 in starlight, and a few live post-song riffs to sound meaty

One more question for you bass players out there, how do you get that beef over-driven tone on bass. Right now, the main distortion on the bass is a Malekko B:Ass Master. It is super beef and fuzzy, but I want a thick tone without the fuzz. If I could describe it in a song (the tone I want). I would say something along the lines of Chris's Showbiz tone, or the tone on Resistance- thick, but not fuzzy.

Try lowering the sensitivity knob on the pedal (I think, I havent played with one in a while so I cant quite remember - its the equivalent of the tone knob on a big muff) Pretty much whatever knob(s) that cut the highs and reinforce the lows will help

• 3 months later...

Chris has stopped using the OC-2 and is now using the EHX octave multiplexer. He uses octavers a fair bit. Always with clean blend.

Osaka Jam - OC-2 into Animato

Helsinki, Uprising - EHX into Crowther Prunes and Custard

Starlight, Easily - EHX into Animato

Exo Politics - just pure octave after the first chorus during the guitar solo

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll post more when I come across them

Archived