Heavy duty one inch foam (of the light blue variety)

Black acrylic paint (of the craft store variety)

Deep red acrylic paint (of the craft store variety)

Red glitter (of the loose variety, and NOT glitter glue-apply it while the paint is still wet)

One of those knives used for cutting foam

A foam core sanding block

A piece of paper and paint of whatever color for the midi control screen

Silver metallic marker if you cannot find metallic paint

A black marker and a lot of paper to use as a stencil for the guitar shape

A picture of the guitar (i freehanded it but you can print it out in sections and tape them together to use as the stencil.")

And thats just about it unless you want to add knobs and switches.

Before you go to cut the shape, print off a picture of the Glitterati, in the size you want to make the guitar. You will need to print it off in sections and tape them together, then tape the whole thing to the foam. Then simply cut away the excess space around the guitar. If you cant print it off, then use a pic as reference and draw the shape in pencil onto the foam. Use a box cutter (the kind with long blades) to cut away the excess. Use the sanding block to perfect it and round off all your edges (and the bottom of the neck). Paint the neck black. Then use painters tape to keep the red away from black as you paint the body and head red. While the red is still wet sprinlke glitter onto the red parts. Do not finish with a clear coat as it will melt the foam. Use a piece of cardboard to keep the mess contained. Then let everything dry. When everything is dry use your silver to draw or paint on the decos. If you want the appearance of switches use black to paint them onto the silver circles. Then use some elmers glue to stick on a piece of paper as the midi control screen. Paint the color as desired. Your Glitterati is done.

Quite a few people have been asking me recently how to make their own foam Glitterati. To answer their question, since this can't really go into the YKYATMW thread, I have posted the answer under this thread. Feel free to read (and beware, the process is quite messy).

could you post a picture of what the foam glitterari should look like?

yes you can make it out of a piece of flooring. they can be picked up at home depot for something like a dollar a piece. just make sure you have a way to mount it on the wall. (i wouldn't wanna stick screws through that thing). I used heavy duty foam because all i had to do to put it on the wall was put a shallow hole in the back of the body and one in the back of the neck and then put screws on the wall in the same place as the holes. Then just stick the guitar on the wall.

(Cardboard works REALLY well if you don't wanna use foam)

But if you can find a way to stick it on your wall, then more power to you.

:D

okay so i am officially making this into a thread on how to make the different guitars (foam, a piece of laminate, a piece of cardboard, it is up to you which medium you use)

IN ORDER

-(previously) The Manson MB-1 glitterati

-(current project) The Manson MB-1 solid black

-(next up) Chris's eight-string bass

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM POSTING HOW TO MAKE PROPS, NOT REAL GUITARS/BASS GUITARS

thank you very much :happy:

Okay, so I am using the same medium as last time; one-inch-thick, heavy-duty foam (can be found at your local hardware/home improvement store, it usually comes in light blue)

- - - - - - If you want to use cardboard or a piece of floor laminate, then just cut it out and sand down the edges; then paint. Use paper for the MIDI.

- - - - - - If you are making it out of the foam, you will need a box cutter with a long blade, acrylic paint (in this case; black), a paint sponge, and a metallic silver sharpie (or metallic silver acrylic paint with a thin brush), and, if desired, six screws.

- - - - - - FOR ALL MEDIUMS, in order to make the MIDI screen, simply use a piece of white paper. Glue it on; let it dry (put a small weight on top to make sure it does not wrinkle), then use the silver to paint/draw a centimeter-thick border on the paper. After THAT dries, use a paint of the color of your choice and just paint that in a small blob on the center of the paper.

THE REST will COME TO YOU, so STAY UPDATeD!!!

:happy:

• 3 weeks later...

I apoligize for the extended silence but I have recently had a lack of transportation (aka my mother will not drive me to get the supplies I need).

I can offer up a few tips on cutting the guitar/bass if you are using foam.

1. Try to find a way to print off a scale picture of the guitar. Most copy stores can help you with this if you do not already know how to do it yourself (or if you do not have the ink).

2. When finding a picture to use, try to find one that is not angled strangely (e.g. being played or photographed from an unusual angle). An example below:

[spoiler=EXAMPLE]Manson%20Chrome%20Bomber.jpgthe one on the far left is at the perfect angle.

3. If you are making, for example, the eight-string bass, you want to find a picture with a lighter background than the bass; otherwise the template will be virtually useless (unless you want to tape it to your wall)

4. While at the home improvement store, ask someone about how to use wire to cut with. They will know what you are talking about.

5. Make sure the paint you use DOES NOT MELT THE FOAM!!!

(especially nail polish-do not use. if you are making the chrome bomber ^^^ then you will want to search for a chrome sticker sheet. they exist. if you are making the mirror manson, then you can simply opt to use a real mirror but make sure you have the tools to cut it with and make sure you don't get injured)

6. it does not have to be perfect.:D

have fun. as i have previously stated, i currently cannot make one myself. however, that does not mean YOU cannot...

• 2 weeks later...

Omg...you people play with foam guitars??? Sigh....

Well this is how it's done (and I'm an epic muse fan since 99). I actually play guitar and some Muse songs, so I am happy with my 70's Fender Telecaster and Harmony H48. However, I DID make a Glitterati once and sold it on eBay for $400. Cost me less than $110 to make though.

Steps:

1. Get the guitar. There is a guitar that looks almost exactly like the Glitterati (probably more so than any other cheap marketed guitar) and by coincidence it is one of the cheapest beginner guitars on the market. It can be found at most big guitar stores and is easier for order. You can probably get it used off of ebay for around $50.

The link from where I got it is here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-ASM-1-Electric-Guitar-105806921-i1524095.gc

It's a red B.C. Rich ASM 1 electric guitar.

2. Now you have it for the most part. The job is to install the touch screen (which will be fake of course). Go to Home Depot or some hardware/home development store and purchase an address plate, and one that is smoothed and shined silver. I managed to easily find one upon walking into the store that was the exact size of the silver plating around the touchscreen on Matt's guitar. If it's not hollowed out don't worry...I will explain later.

3. Get the opaque glass. (and yes matt's touchscreen is made out of glass) It will need to be no more than a few mm thick and needs to be frosted opaque. You can probably find this at the hardware store, but I got it from IKEA for $20 and was used for a desktop, but I used a fine glass saw to cut it to perfect size.

4. Position the glass into the metal outline as if it were an address plate (remember to leave a bit of glass on the edges so that it can fit perfectly into the address plate holding edges underneath and not just what you see from in front. Use the four small screws that came with the address plate (these should also be shining silver) (also try to find your own if their longer than 0.80 inches to avoid damaging the guitar). These screw almost always have a pointed edge to be put into wood sidings, so position the plate with glass and symmetrically screw all four screws thoroughly and you're done! IF you bought an adress plate that has no center and instead has a deepened level for the address then simply screw it on as is and use a thin line of GORILLA glue on the EDGES of the plate and insert your glass.

5. Now not only do you have a perfect replica of Matt's guitar, it also fully works incase you ever want to start learning :-) Or you can sell it to a fellow Muser for a good and clever price. ;)

OPTIONAL- No that glass does not light up, but it looks better than retarded marker scribbles on white notebook paper. It looks like the real thing.... if you are feeling genius, then buy flat green and blue LEDs and lay them underneath the glass. How you will wire them and power them is beyond my expertise...but it isn't impossible. Maybe carefully carve a quarter size/depth into the guitar body and put a Lithium Ion (those flat/thin watch batteries) into it and use thin naked copper wiring to the flat LED lights. That should light them for a year or so, but it would be permanently on. Then simply screw the glass/address plate ontop of them.

ENJOY :D

Omg...you people play with foam guitars??? Sigh....

Well this is how it's done (and I'm an epic muse fan since 99). I actually play guitar and some Muse songs, so I am happy with my 70's Fender Telecaster and Harmony H48. However, I DID make a Glitterati once and sold it on eBay for $400. Cost me less than $110 to make though.

Steps:

1. Get the guitar. There is a guitar that looks almost exactly like the Glitterati (probably more so than any other cheap marketed guitar) and by coincidence it is one of the cheapest beginner guitars on the market. It can be found at most big guitar stores and is easier for order. You can probably get it used off of ebay for around $50.

The link from where I got it is here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-ASM-1-Electric-Guitar-105806921-i1524095.gc

It's a red B.C. Rich ASM 1 electric guitar.

2. Now you have it for the most part. The job is to install the touch screen (which will be fake of course). Go to Home Depot or some hardware/home development store and purchase an address plate, and one that is smoothed and shined silver. I managed to easily find one upon walking into the store that was the exact size of the silver plating around the touchscreen on Matt's guitar. If it's not hollowed out don't worry...I will explain later.

3. Get the opaque glass. (and yes matt's touchscreen is made out of glass) It will need to be no more than a few mm thick and needs to be frosted opaque. You can probably find this at the hardware store, but I got it from IKEA for $20 and was used for a desktop, but I used a fine glass saw to cut it to perfect size.

4. Position the glass into the metal outline as if it were an address plate (remember to leave a bit of glass on the edges so that it can fit perfectly into the address plate holding edges underneath and not just what you see from in front. Use the four small screws that came with the address plate (these should also be shining silver) (also try to find your own if their longer than 0.80 inches to avoid damaging the guitar). These screw almost always have a pointed edge to be put into wood sidings, so position the plate with glass and symmetrically screw all four screws thoroughly and you're done! IF you bought an adress plate that has no center and instead has a deepened level for the address then simply screw it on as is and use a thin line of GORILLA glue on the EDGES of the plate and insert your glass.

5. Now not only do you have a perfect replica of Matt's guitar, it also fully works incase you ever want to start learning :-) Or you can sell it to a fellow Muser for a good and clever price. ;)

OPTIONAL- No that glass does not light up, but it looks better than retarded marker scribbles on white notebook paper. It looks like the real thing.... if you are feeling genius, then buy flat green and blue LEDs and lay them underneath the glass. How you will wire them and power them is beyond my expertise...but it isn't impossible. Maybe carefully carve a quarter size/depth into the guitar body and put a Lithium Ion (those flat/thin watch batteries) into it and use thin naked copper wiring to the flat LED lights. That should light them for a year or so, but it would be permanently on. Then simply screw the glass/address plate ontop of them.

ENJOY :D

It's just a Halloween prop. Something that you can (if you want to stay in character) smash. That's the whole reason I even made this thread :happy:

It's just a Halloween prop. Something that you can (if you want to stay in character) smash. That's the whole reason I even made this thread :happy:

Oh lol...forgot about that holiday. Nothing wrong with pretending to be Matt though :-) lol. I have a large basement...I would blast Muse to deafening concert levels from their live discs when my parents weren't home and mess around with that guitar I sold. :D

Oh lol...forgot about that holiday. Nothing wrong with pretending to be Matt though :-) lol. I have a large basement...I would blast Muse to deafening concert levels from their live discs when my parents weren't home and mess around with that guitar I sold. :D

;)It's what I would do. Excuse me if I have not exactly lived up to my promises on this thread; I miraculously lost all of my money (aka my brother). So I have to wait until I earn some more money (which will take a long time). Why don't you give it a shot with foam (or perhaps the other two materials-or do it your way). I make you temporary tutor of the thread (until i can finally get what i need):happy:

Archived