Drum Machine VS Midi Controller?

Neil.

Hello enfants de la nuit,

So i would like to invest in some way of making drum loops/sequences that i can either jam along to like the kills, or record onto a laptop like the kills. I went looking about on the web and in town the other day, and I've had two suggestions:

Drum Machine / Sampler

So the first suggestion was to get a Drum Machine / Sampler. This is what the kills and dead weather use. it has the benefit of having everything preloaded, and pretty much fits the bill. the drawbacks include price, and that you're a bit restricted to exclusively using it as a drum machine. Also, it was recommended that I get some sort of loudifier for it, so it can match up to guitar amp volumes. I'd have to invest in some sort of amp to handle it I suspect.

MIDI Controller + Laptop

I never actually thought about this till I asked in the shop about drum machines. Two out of three shops suggested I invest in a cheap-as-chips MIDI controller with pads, like a drum sampler thing. They all said that there's tonnes of software out there that would allow me to create drum loops, sequences, whatever. It would also have the added benefit of things like being a handy addition to general recording. They said that for a novice though, a lot of the software is not necessarily beginner friendly. Pro's include the low low price. Con's include difficulty, and that i'm thick as shit when it comes to the software side of recording. Oh, and the "price" of the software.... apparently. :rolleyes:

So kittahs, baring in mind that i'm a total novice at recording, and all i want to do is make super simple drum loops/tracks (listen to the simplicity of what the kills and dead weather use), which is a better option, and can you suggest anything worth looking into?

midi sequenced drumsamples from a DAW is not an option? it is probably better and more flexible than any drum machine could ever be because you an use an unlimited amount of samples, there are millions of drumpacks on the internet plus you can effect (eq, verb, comp etc. again there are a huge amont of VSTs out there) them any way you want (if your cpu is strong enough)

Is that not what the second one essentially is? Like, using a MIDI controller to make drum tracks on some sort of software on my laptop?

Not being patronising or anything by that by the way! I genuinely do not know. :(

Is that not what the second one essentially is? Like, using a MIDI controller to make drum tracks on some sort of software on my laptop?

Not being patronising or anything by that by the way! I genuinely do not know. :(

Yeah, the question is that do you wanna push the keys/pads on the midi kontroller for semi live drum sounds or you just want something which pumps out the beats. If the latter then you don't even need a midi controller, you just click your beats together with a mouse preshow or something.

So these midi controllers adds nothing to the sound/quality etc. if you don't want to use them live. Using a mouse instead of them during production is the same thing but they are more comfortable devices.

If you dont want to use premade dumbeats (essentially a backingtrack) then i would get one of those drum midi controllers linked in the topic, a pc and a controller is a much more powerful device than a drummachine alone.

Hmmm.... See pear, I don't gig or anything, this would just be for faffing about at home with some drum loops to my own taste, and maybe for a bit of recording for the lulz.

So if i'm correct, I could put drum loops/tracks together without the need for a midi controller BUT, the midi controller has it's advantages in that it's another way of doing it, right? I would imagine a midi controller would have other advantages too. One I can see straight away is that if i was using something like guitar rig, I could have a nice reverb setup that could be toggled with the push of a button, same with delays etc etc.

You reckon a midi controller would be a decent investment then pear?

You reckon a midi controller would be a decent investment then pear?

yep, but i have seen something interesting on the net.

A guy took apart a normal 10$ computer keyboard then took the controller out of it. He replaced some of the buttons's connections with momentary switching footswitches and rehoused it into a sturdy enclosure. So basically he built a foot controlled keyboard but i think he didn't used every character, he had about 20 buttons.

Then he assigned keyboard shortcuts in his DAW to the actions he wanted to trigger with his floor keyboard. So it is not midi, it is like using keyboard shortcuts with your foot.

Something like this but he rehoused it into a better enclosure and used footswitches instead of the buttons:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/08/get-loopy-with-the-diy-10-ableton-footcontroller-no-soldering-required/

edit: this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112242

If it's just for messing about, and you've not tried it before, get a DAW and program some beats. You can always get a controller later if you start gigging or if you want to be able to interact with your sequences.

the_man is the guy for this question but i've not seen him on here in ages.

Any suggestions on an easy to learn DAW for making drum loops?

edit:

key words being "easy", "learn", and "i'm shit at this"

"drum loops" are different to programmed drums AFAIK. When I program drums in Cubase, I do a whole songs worth of drums just using copy/paste. If you want to loop stuff, maybe something like Reason would be more suitable.

Reaper is a free DAW which is apparently very easy to use, but i've not tried it yet.

FL is kids toys compared to Reaper, i'd jump right into Reaper if i were you Neil. I can tell you how to make drum loops in that if you don't want to read the readme ebook.:p

And Reaper is effectively free, it never expires you have to buy it if you wanna produce commercial tracks (if you wanna sell them etc.)

I think 4 is about to get released, i'd get into that instead of 3 because i think there will be some differences.

• 4 years later...

Hi!

just registered as your query is almost identical to mine, & almost the only result I can see in google today.

so, cool kills/new order/lcd soundsystem percussion...

I'm curious as to how you've got on over the last couple of years, and whether you have any iOS kit.

I've recently (< 1week) discovered that the CameraConnectorKit can be used (with iOS8+ perhaps, I'm on 9.0.2 on an iPhone4S) with a usb hub!!!!!

I don't have any proper mics (I wanna build a piezo one:)

I have been hoarding vox / loop / sample / midi software, and am now about to try and set it all up...

two heads are better than one, so I thought Id'register and reach out.

I'm considering using this as content to plug, to help myself (my memory banks suck) and others, in the form of "how to's" - home-made, DIY, frankenstein style digital adventures in good vibrations...

We need to talk!

Jack White is a god

EDIT: check out

Archived