Another 007 copy... with a twist :)

drummerguy103

So Im starting my 007 copy (minus all advanced electronics) but with a twist...

Neck - Maple

Fretboard - Rosewood

Body..... - .........Balsawood :eek:

Before you start posting 'Balsawood is too soft, balsawood is craptastic for guitars' think again..

There is heavy balsa, just as with every wood. Sooooo... heres the blanks...

266850_189511351106803_100001438178789_532402_3935867_o.jpg

A couple of questions to the wise...

1) Is it possible to use a tele headstock and cut the manson shape into it?

2) For anyone who owns a mattocaster or the like... what is the thickness of yours?

Cheers,

DRUMMERGUY

DO NOT USE BALSA WOOD. Where do you live I can give you a link to a website whos warehouse is near you and shipping of a body blank is easier... Like I said Order an Ash, Alder, Mahohany , Poplar, Basswood, Limba , Korina any of those woods order a blank for but not Balsa. Your guitar will snap in half. I don't care how hard it is it probably wont sound good either. I asked my boss if using Balsa is good he said " I would use balsa for arch top sustain blocks or Backs and tops not a solid body guitar.

Relax, it isnt going to snap in half.

Yeah, Balsa isnt the ideal wood for a guitar, and I definitely wouldnt reccommend it, but providing the build quality on your guitar is good, you can probably get away with it. Just make sure that there isnt too much extensive routing and that the join between the two boards is solid. Route out too much and youll weaken it even more, so try and keep it as solid as possible. Im actually fairly interested to hear how it will sound.

As for the Tele headstock, you can alter it slightly to the Manson shape, but depending on how accurate the headstock is to begin with, it might be a tight fit. The Manson headstock is basically just the Tele headstock with a bit cut off, but you see a lot of variations with Tele headstocks depending on where you get them. If you have the choice, I would reccommend getting a neck with a Strat headstock inside because this will give you more wood to work with and youll have more chance of getting it right. But if not, a Tele headstock should be just fine.

I live in adelaide, Australia... Well long story short, our family business is a balsa factory, so I get the stuff free.

This is a 'prototype', if the wood cant stand it (highly doubt it as its damn heavy ;) ) or the material sucks then I will buy a mahogany blank..

Once i get all the parts then i can do a dry run first and if I dont like it I can chuck it and keep the parts....

Relax, it isnt going to snap in half.

Yeah, Balsa isnt the ideal wood for a guitar, and I definitely wouldnt reccommend it, but providing the build quality on your guitar is good, you can probably get away with it. Just make sure that there isnt too much extensive routing and that the join between the two boards is solid. Route out too much and youll weaken it even more, so try and keep it as solid as possible. Im actually fairly interested to hear how it will sound.

:p umm yer might want to replace the word 'two' with 'four' :$ I'm just putting the bridge, pickups, 2 pots and a toggle switch in so there shouldnt be too much routing

As for the Tele headstock, you can alter it slightly to the Manson shape, but depending on how accurate the headstock is to begin with, it might be a tight fit. The Manson headstock is basically just the Tele headstock with a bit cut off, but you see a lot of variations with Tele headstocks depending on where you get them. If you have the choice, I would reccommend getting a neck with a Strat headstock inside because this will give you more wood to work with and youll have more chance of getting it right. But if not, a Tele headstock should be just fine.

Thanks... I was going to be getting the neck from Warmoth :D It will probably be cheaper to get the strat neck as well...

Cheers,

DRUMMERGUY

If you have the resources available for free, I say go for it. The wood isnt without its problems, and I wouldnt expect it to sound like a '59 Les Paul, but at the very least its worth a go.

At the very least, this is just a great practice run, and it saves you messing up any expensive wood on your first try.

If you have the resources available for free, I say go for it. The wood isnt without its problems, and I wouldnt expect it to sound like a '59 Les Paul, but at the very least its worth a go.

At the very least, this is just a great practice run, and it saves you messing up any expensive wood on your first try.

Exactly.... This is probably anyone has tried a solid body although ZZTop has hollow bodies made from balsa with white paint;

zztop1.jpg

Gibson also use balsa in the ES-135 for the center block..

Exactly.... This is probably anyone has tried a solid body although ZZTop has hollow bodies made from balsa with white paint;

zztop1.jpg

Gibson also use balsa in the ES-135 for the center block..

Which is why ZZ Top hardly ever use those guitars.

Which is why Gibson discontinued the ES-135 and introduced the ES-137 with a mohogany center block.

Just sayin'.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived