Guitar Hero shut down. Is rock really dying? Can Muse save rock?

JadeLovesMuse

@trinity3music

I am sorry for your friend and everyone who worked at Activision.

Don’t be bothered about the Radioheadfans. They don’t know better ;)

I don't know why they get so aggressive towards Muse. And what they say often proofs, they don't know much about Muse.

TBH your article was a bit confusing to me. GH is dying. Is rockmusic dying? made me think you meant the popularity of GH is showing us how popular rockmusic is or visa versa.

Thanks for the sympathies to my friend. She's still posting stuff about it she said she's been there 10 years and some of those people laid off were like family.

Some people look at it as a sign that GH shut down because rap is just too popular for rock to compete. But even rap is changing as a genre and you have a guy like BoB who not only raps but sings and plays multiple instruments.

But really, my other article perhaps should have been joined with this one because they work together.

http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/the-day-the-music-died-guitar-hero-stops-production-and-lays-off-employees

Thanks for the sympathies to my friend. She's still posting stuff about it she said she's been there 10 years and some of those people laid off were like family.

Some people look at it as a sign that GH shut down because rap is just too popular for rock to compete. But even rap is changing as a genre and you have a guy like BoB who not only raps but sings and plays multiple instruments.

But really, my other article perhaps should have been joined with this one because they work together.

http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/the-day-the-music-died-guitar-hero-stops-production-and-lays-off-employees

You do know that rap isn't a genre?

@trinity3music

Don’t be bothered about the Radioheadfans. They don’t know better ;)

I don't know why they get so aggressive towards Muse. And what they say often proofs, they don't know much about Muse.

QUOTE]

The Radioheads only bothered me for a brief time as they were questioning my journalistic integrity because I love Muse. And I'm like WTF? It's about your personal feelings and your personal connection to your favorite band not Metacritic ratings or even Grammy awards. I just never felt anything towards Radiohead, never really connected with their lyrics. I suppose their music is alright, but it doesn't hit my personal sweet spot.

But I'm preaching to the choir here...

The "proper" term is apparently hip hop which is inclusive. Are you referring to the various kinds of rap--crunk vs. gansta? Do you know the diff? Just being contrary? Or what?

Rap is a type of singing. Rapping.

Linkin Park raps, Rage against the machine rap.

Hip-hop is a genre(and culture) that includes rap.

Rap is a type of singing. Rapping.

Linkin Park raps, Rage against the machine rap.

Hip-hop is a genre(and culture) that includes rap.

here we go again...

You realize these terms have changed over time, right?

You realize that the Grammy Awards still call it rap, right?

You realize you understood exactly what I was talking about, right?

I went to a hip hop event recently, maybe you'll find something of interest in that article when I publish that.

Much as I love Muse, I have shit to do and can't hang out and argue. Stay well.

here we go again...

You realize these terms have changed over time, right?

You realize that the Grammy Awards still call it rap, right?

You realize you understood exactly what I was talking about, right?

I went to a hip hop event recently, maybe you'll find something of interest in that article when I publish that.

Much as I love Muse, I have shit to do and can't hang out and argue. Stay well.

They are calling it rap because they are referring to rap. As in songs with rap in them. Most of what is on their nominations about rap has nothing to do with hiphop.

Terms change? So you are saying that rapping has now become the genre hip-hop? Well what do you call artists who rap in rock songs then?

Rapcore is a good example.

And you still haven't explained what GH's shutdown has to do with rock and it's apparent dying. But I guess you have more important things to do in life than to respond to critizism to your articles. I mean, it's not like there is something to gain from reading it.

They are calling it rap because they are referring to rap. As in songs with rap in them. Most of what is on their nominations about rap has nothing to do with hiphop.

Terms change? So you are saying that rapping has now become the genre hip-hop? Well what do you call artists who rap in rock songs then?

Rapcore is a good example.

And you still haven't explained what GH's shutdown has to do with rock and it's apparent dying. But I guess you have more important things to do in life than to respond to critizism to your articles. I mean, it's not like there is something to gain from reading it.

When hip-hop started out in the 1980s everyone called it rap. Alot of people still just call it rap still since it's the dominant style of hip hop. It's acceptable even if it's not preferred to refer to it as rap. Artists who rap in rock songs are also called rappers by alot of people. In fact that's how Linkin Park refers to one of their members. In the hip hop world rappers are called MCs and they get really into the difference between MC and DJ and use it as a title for example--MC Lyte or Young MC (look them up). However, rap isn't neccessarily a style of singing, I would call it rhythmic speech as often the pitch does not matter. But that's a whole other arguement.

I actually did explain what GH and rock dying have to do with each other. Some people view it as a sign that guitar-based music which is the most identifiable form of rock is dying.

When hip-hop started out in the 1980s everyone called it rap. Alot of people still just call it rap still since it's the dominant style of hip hop. It's acceptable even if it's not preferred to refer to it as rap. Artists who rap in rock songs are also called rappers by alot of people. In fact that's how Linkin Park refers to one of their members. In the hip hop world rappers are called MCs and they get really into the difference between MC and DJ and if they do both. However, rap isn't neccessarily a style of singing, I would call it rhythmic speech as often the pitch does not matter. But that's a whole other arguement.

I actually did explain what GH and rock dying have to do with each other. Some people view it as a sign that guitar-based music which is the most identifiable form of rock is dying.

ALOT14.png

When hip-hop started out in the 1980s everyone called it rap. Alot of people still just call it rap still since it's the dominant style of hip hop. It's acceptable even if it's not preferred to refer to it as rap. Artists who rap in rock songs are also called rappers by alot of people. In fact that's how Linkin Park refers to one of their members. In the hip hop world rappers are called MCs and they get really into the difference between MC and DJ and use it as a title for example--MC Lyte or Young MC (look them up). However, rap isn't neccessarily a style of singing, I would call it rhythmic speech as often the pitch does not matter. But that's a whole other arguement.

I'm guessing that you meant for the part in bolded to be in agreement with my statement, because I agree with everything that was said there. I don't understand why you are trying to give me a lecture in something that I had no objections against. Are you just trying to prove that you know what MC means? :p

Some people don't believe that the earth is round too, that doesn't mean it's worth making a big deal out of it. If someone seriously believes that the survival of rock has anything to do with Guitar hero, then they clearly need a reality check.

Some people don't believe that the earth is round too, that doesn't mean it's worth making a big deal out of it. If someone seriously believes that the survival of rock has anything to do with Guitar hero, then they clearly need a reality check.

I really don't think she was alluding to a direct correlation between the cancelling of guitar hero and the supposed end of the current cycle of rock music...

If I was writing it, I think it'd make a decent light article but there needs to be more substance to it to corroborate the question of rock music "dying", maybe like record sales, gig ticket sales, consumer opinion etc. Don't forget music tends to come and go in waves, depending on what seems to be popular, certainly as far as charted acts goes. Underneath all that, and away from the charts and major labels, rock is doing exactly the same as just about any other musical style...just fine. No style of music will ever die, it will just evolve into something else and come back when it's commercially viable.

I really don't think she was alluding to a direct correlation between the cancelling of guitar hero and the supposed end of the current cycle of rock music...

If I was writing it, I think it'd make a decent light article but there needs to be more substance to it to corroborate the question of rock music "dying", maybe like record sales, gig ticket sales, consumer opinion etc. Don't forget music tends to come and go in waves, depending on what seems to be popular, certainly as far as charted acts goes. Underneath all that, and away from the charts and major labels, rock is doing exactly the same as just about any other musical style...just fine. No style of music will ever die, it will just evolve into something else and come back when it's commercially viable.

I did ask for an explanation for the article that didn't exactly make any connections between anything it said. And this was her answer "I actually did explain what GH and rock dying have to do with each other. Some people view it as a sign that guitar-based music which is the most identifiable form of rock is dying."

So yes, I take that as a direct correlation.

There was no other mentioning whatsoever in the article(that I can remember, I may be wrong) about why rock was dying.

I did ask for an explanation for the article that didn't exactly make any connections between anything it said. And this was her answer "I actually did explain what GH and rock dying have to do with each other. Some people view it as a sign that guitar-based music which is the most identifiable form of rock is dying."

So yes, I take that as a direct correlation.

There was no other mentioning whatsoever in the article(that I can remember, I may be wrong) about why rock was dying.

Some people viewing something as a sign that rock is dying out isn't a direct correlation. If she'd stated in her article that people said rock music was dying BECAUSE of the ending of Guitar Hero, THAT would be a direct correlation. The fact she says that people see it as a sign suggests to me that she knows that there are other factors in play, and yeah she hardly went into it at all. It's not the best article in the world :LOL:

Some people viewing something as a sign that rock is dying out isn't a direct correlation. If she'd stated in her article that people said rock music was dying BECAUSE of the ending of Guitar Hero, THAT would be a direct correlation. The fact she says that people see it as a sign suggests to me that she knows that there are other factors in play, and yeah she hardly went into it at all. It's not the best article in the world :LOL:

Fair enough.

To be honest the whole article just seems to be a bunch of name dropping and explanations of genres, but no real point to it at all.

Guitar Hero shuts down. Is rock dying? Rock incorporates hip-hop elements. Muse can get a crowd going. Are Muse gonna save rock?

And then along with a few odd statements like "Muse’s song, “Undisclosed Desires” incorporated some hip-hop elements and soulful singing. Is it possible that the definition of rock has broadened to include whatever beat patterns one would like."

What does UD have to do with rock anyway?

Fair enough.

To be honest the whole article just seems to be a bunch of name dropping and explanations, but no real point to it at all.

Guitar Hero shuts down. Is rock dying? Rock incorporates hip-hop elements. Muse can get a crowd going. Are Muse gonna save rock?

And then along with a few odd statements like "Muse’s song, “Undisclosed Desires” incorporated some hip-hop elements and soulful singing. Is it possible that the definition of rock has broadened to include whatever beat patterns one would like."

What does UD have to do with rock anyway?

From what I can gather, I think she was trying to say that using rap or hip-hop influences seems to be the way forward at the moment, but the thread of the article is so loose, or non-existent, that the point is completely lost. The original question was never answered in any meaningful way and the whole thing just seems like a mess of individual factoids and sentences put together seemingly at random...it wouldn't get a grade in any journalism course, of that I'm pretty certain :LOL:

From what I can gather, I think she was trying to say that using rap or hip-hop influences seems to be the way forward at the moment, but the thread of the article is so loose, or non-existent, that the point is completely lost. The original question was never answered in any meaningful way and the whole thing just seems like a mess of individual factoids and sentences put together seemingly at random...it wouldn't get a grade in any journalism course, of that I'm pretty certain :LOL:

Lighten up. It poses a question is rock really dying? and then looks at series of examples of why it is or isn't. Then states its basically not and there's alot of borrowing between genres. And then there's sort of a tag at the end saying, dude, watch this really cool video of a rock concer that happens to be Muse. It's more commentary and opinion. It wasn't meaningful to you, so be it.

Here, take a look at this CNN article which basically alludes to Guitar Hero and Rock Band being responsible for rock making a comeback. http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/20/videol.games.music/

With no more Guitar Hero, hopefully we'll get more Muse in Rock Band, or even a Muse: Rock Band (please :( )

I would love that and Harmonix isn't out of business yet. I read in the Gaminformer that they have a couple of choices. They can either pay their company to become an independent company or sign up to a new companies. So, it's not looking good, but we'll see.

Lighten up. It poses a question is rock really dying? and then looks at series of examples of why it is or isn't. Then states its basically not and there's alot of borrowing between genres. And then there's sort of a tag at the end saying, dude, watch this really cool video of a rock concer that happens to be Muse. It's more commentary and opinion. It wasn't meaningful to you, so be it.

Here, take a look at this CNN article which basically alludes to Guitar Hero and Rock Band being responsible for rock making a comeback. http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/20/videol.games.music/

ALOT5.png

You just don't learn, do you.

Archived