Questions for Dom after a failed opportunity

Miss_Nermal

I met the great Dom Howard at a Biffy Clyro show a few days ago. It was absolutely unexpected, instead of asking relevant questions I shook violently and rambled about... God knows what. He was amazing, very nice. Having been watching him from afar the last 10 years and never even imagined meeting him so I lost what little cool I might have ever had.

So rather than regret my wasted opportunity of having a few questions answered I was hoping you could all put my mind to rest!

1. Why the lack of love for Showbiz on their last two tours? It's always been my favorite album, but unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to see them live till 07', which was seemingly the end of them playing the songs live. Not even one song on the regular set list? The album is what made most of us fall in love with them, no love for their roots?

2. How much creative control do they have when it comes to picking the set list, and then switching it up at the shows. How spontaneous are random songs played live? And who decided to play them? Does their manager hand them a list and they play it, or does someone say "I feel like playing Bliss today, let's do it!". Or even in the moment, can one person just decide to switch up the list, or are they restricted to the list?

3. How much do they have to do with picking their openers? I saw them earlier in the year (NV, USA) and Silver Sun Pickups were their openers, whom I very much enjoyed watching. All their European supporters have been amazing. Now, I just sat through 4 shows cringing to the sound of Passion Pit. Seriously? Are they fans? Who decides these things!? The sounds are not remotely comparable, and the general feedback of everyone I talked at the shows, as well as my interpretation of the crowds reaction gave me the impression that others opinions were the same as mine.

That's whats been eating at me! Hehe.

Other random relevant questions at the time could have also been, What's your favorite Biffy Clyro song? How long have you been following the band? What's your favorite song to play live?

1. I'm really not sure here. Maybe warner doesnt like the earlier albums since I dont think they were huge successes in the US. They have played Unintended and cave at some of the European shows at least

2. Well, the Denver setlist, they opened with Exo part 1 and had Knights 3rd, so maybe they can change things up whenever they want to. I'm sure the "show" part of it restricts them a bit, but maybe its just easier for them to play similar setlists every night? And sometimes they do randomly throw in a Bliss or something. First a huge part of the first leg of the US tour, they used the same exact setlist except for shuffling MK Ultra, Guiding Light, and MotP in some order, then they go to Edmonton and randomly play Bliss and RBS. And then they don't play Bliss again and RBS only once more in the US until the second leg, where they've pulled out RBS twice and Bliss once. So I dont know.

3. They may have some input on the openers, but im sure thats more of a tour manager/record company thing. I doubt they have a ton of say in it (I could be way way wrong though, but even if they do pick it, im sure they can be shot down by the people over the tour/record company. And obviously the band opening has to say ok to it). I like Passion Pit but I agree they arent the best opener, they don't really sound much like Muse at all. That seemed like a really weird choice. Should have gotten Metric for the whole tour if possible, or maybe one of the UK openers. I think SSPU and Metric are great openers though.

Archived