A good DS/OD pedal

Paranoia Is In Bloom

Hey, I've been thinking about getting a distortion or overdrive pedal.

I'm not sure what to get and need some help because Ive been playing guitar for 7 years but i dont have many effects. Atm, I jst use the effects on my marshall amp (only 15W :( ) but I have a Vox Wah and DD-3 so it sounds terrible because i can only go Wah-OD not OD-Wah like it should be.

I need a good all-round distortion pedal for stuff like muse, radiohead, hendrix, clapton and other brilliant music :) Ive seen some like all the boss pedals are probably awesome but I could do with some recommendations :D thanks!

Wah is usually used before any form of distortion, otherwise it can be really powerful and not nice to listen to.

Anyway, the old black Marshall pedals are amazing, the Boss ones need modifying generally, except the OD3, but there's no all round pedal that'll cover everything, even the few you've mentioned there, I'd use different pedals and stuff for.

an eq and an od maybe?

the artists you mentioned are to diverse in their tones (fuzz, disto, od, etc) to get a pedal which can cover them all.

K thanks :) are most pedals about the same price as boss or is boss an expensive or cheap make?

I got the impression they're some of the best but are quite reasonably priced?

they are good in terms of quality, but i think they are too generic and "safe".

K thanks :) are most pedals about the same price as boss or is boss an expensive or cheap make?

I got the impression they're some of the best but are quite reasonably priced?

Boss is middle of the roadish for guitar pedals I guess (Can run into thousands for studio outboard), the SD1 and DS1 are about £40, so nice and cheap.

Some people hate Boss and think everything should be boutique, but in reality there's no such thing as a good or bad company as it all depends on what you want.

they are good in terms of quality' date=' but i think they are too generic and "safe".[/quote']

Depends on which ones you're talking about, my PS2 is completely mental, can get my BF2 to oscillate and the DD3's hold function get get interesting.

Companies like Fulltone and Voodoo Labs, now those are dull and safe pedals.

Depends on which ones you're talking about, my PS2 is completely mental, can get my BF2 to oscillate and the DD3's hold function get get interesting.

Companies like Fulltone and Voodoo Labs, now those are dull and safe pedals.

yeah i haven't tried their more "obscure" stuff like shifters and stuff, only the basics like ods, distos and a bit of modulation.

The line 6 distortion modeller is excellant if you can find one. Loads of solid famous pedal tones in one package. Will keep you happy for hours. They have believable big muff, tube screamer, rat models. Infact i want one again now i've started thinking about it.

You simply can't go wrong getting an Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer. I've used one for over twenty years and I've never modded it. It's the grand daddy of all overdrives and its great on a clean channel as well as pushing a dirty amp over the cliff.

JT

do the ruetz mod too. makes the pedal a bit less harsh

what LEDs did you use in the clipping stage?

5mm red leds, regular stuff.

With the leds i don't find it too harsh anymore but my amp is kinda dark. Today i gonna try every diode i have in it, but i don't expect too much from the germanium diodes, i think they gonna clip too soon in this circuit.

Archived