Art History Project

Alright! So my final project this year in art history is to write an essay about a contemporary artist, in any medium. Naturally, I would like to write my paper on Muse. If anyone would like to help me, here are the requirements:

• Give a formal analysis, contextual analysis, and full description of a particular work of art
  • How does the artist define art?
  • Who is the audience?
  • Can you connect it to past art? Is there a precedent in the artworld for this piece?
  • Why did you select this artist as your topic; your personal feelings about the art
  • The paper should be accompanied by a slide presentation you will give to the class.

My teacher suggests that if possible, we get in contact with the artist and ask them more questions, but knowing how popular Muse is, I think that it's very unlikely that I'll be able to do so. Anyhow, if anybody has any suggestions or tips, I would really appreciate it!

Alright! So my final project this year in art history is to write an essay about a contemporary artist, in any medium. Naturally, I would like to write my paper on Muse. If anyone would like to help me, here are the requirements:

• Give a formal analysis, contextual analysis, and full description of a particular work of art
  • Who is the audience?
  • Can you connect it to past art? Is there a precedent in the artworld for this piece?
  • Why did you select this artist as your topic; your personal feelings about the art
  • The paper should be accompanied by a slide presentation you will give to the class.

My teacher suggests that if possible, we get in contact with the artist and ask them more questions, but knowing how popular Muse is, I think that it's very unlikely that I'll be able to do so. Anyhow, if anybody has any suggestions or tips, I would really appreciate it!

'Can you connect it with past art?' I hear a lot of Bach in Matt's guitar solos. 'Plug-in Baby' sounds like a chorale prelude as in 'Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.' I've never checked it closely but it sounds as though the melody of the verse would form a counterpoint with the guitar introduction/obbligato.

'Can you connect it with past art?' I hear a lot of Bach in Matt's guitar solos. 'Plug-in Baby' sounds like a chorale prelude as in 'Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.' I've never checked it closely but it sounds as though the melody of the verse would form a counterpoint with the guitar introduction/obbligato.

Space Dementia cites Rachmaninov; Megalomania seems like a blend between Mendelssohn organ work and Phantom Of The Opera; Collateral Damage (coda of United States Of Eurasia) is a reinterpretation of a famous Chopin's Nocturne; the "No / I don't think you do / There's no justice / In the world" part in Soldier's Poem is similar to the Ave Maria; the Exogenesis Symphony is influenced by Chopin, Liszt and Beethoven; Stockholm Syndrome riff retains a very "classical" feel; Unsustainable and Isolated System are influenced by Varèse, Penderecki, post-modern music in general and musique concrète; Survival seems to have a Verdi-like feel...

These are the first connections that pop in my mind. I'll give you other ones as soon as I can.

Space Dementia cites Rachmaninov; Megalomania seems like a blend between Mendelssohn organ work and Phantom Of The Opera; Collateral Damage (coda of United States Of Eurasia) is a reinterpretation of a famous Chopin's Nocturne; the "No / I don't think you do / There's no justice / In the world" part in Soldier's Poem is similar to the Ave Maria; the Exogenesis Symphony is influenced by Chopin, Liszt and Beethoven; Stockholm Syndrome riff retains a very "classical" feel; Unsustainable and Isolated System are influenced by Varèse, Penderecki, post-modern music in general and musique concrète; Survival seems to have a Verdi-like feel...

These are the first connections that pop in my mind. I'll give you other ones as soon as I can.

Yep. That's the Schubert 'Ave Maria' which I prefer to the Bach/Gounod version. 'I Belong to You' of course quotes 'Mon Coeur S'Oeuvre a ta Voix' from Samson and Delilah by Saint-Saens.

I'd say Bach also for PIB but more 'Toccata and Fugue in D minor' :)

at 1.10

Also in addition to the others posted on here Butterflies and Hurricanes piano Rachmaninoff

And the Globalist piano Elgar - Nimrod

• Who is the audience?

The last part of The Globalist borrows the melody from Edward Elgar's Nimrod.

First off, thank you all so much for your comments so far!! I really appreciate it more than I can put into words.

Anyhow, my art history teacher told me that I should really be limiting my project to one album so as to be more specific and so that I can get more in depth. Now, this is difficult for me, because I love all of their albums. As far as music goes, and in relation to past music by other composers (along with ideas expressed in the albums), which album should I choose?

First off, thank you all so much for your comments so far!! I really appreciate it more than I can put into words.

Anyhow, my art history teacher told me that I should really be limiting my project to one album so as to be more specific and so that I can get more in depth. Now, this is difficult for me, because I love all of their albums. As far as music goes, and in relation to past music by other composers (along with ideas expressed in the albums), which album should I choose?

Origin or Absolution, obviously.

Origin or Absolution, obviously.

That's what I was thinking. I was leaning more toward Abso because I feel as if it has more influences that I can draw from, but also, Origin has a lot of great themes. This is a really hard choice. Might poll my twitter followers.