Would Muse Do a Big+Small Venue Tour Anytime Soon?

Corkscrewed

Coming off last night's LA show, which was good but definitely disappointing **when compared to past Muse shows I've seen** and then reading complaints and comments on these forums, I've noticed a lot of talk about Muse not selling well this tour with arenas, questions on why they continue to push the arena tours, disappointment with crowd energy, and such.

So I pose the question: scalper issues aside (which I think could be significantly fixed by requiring credit card entry), would it be realistic to have Muse do a tour where in most cities, they did an arena gig and also a smaller venue gig? The arena gig fulfills the theatrics and ticket sales. The small shows recapture the zeal an energy of just plain having fun rocking out.

I'm from LA, so an example would be Muse doing Staples Center (though I'd much prefer The Forum; I have no idea why they keep being tied to Staples) + say The Wiltern. Like an inverse of an actor "selling out" on a blockbuster in order to keep doing that more serious indie film project, Muse could do these smaller shows to keep them regularly more energized for the arena stuff and also fulfill their apparent love of overly complicated theatrics. Small shows would, of course, satisfy the hardcore fans.

Admittedly, there are logistical issues, not to mention the logic of essentially prepping for two tours in one. So I might just be crazy or full of shit. But I think it's an intriguing idea, at least. What do you think?

This was a problem last tour but they're back here with arena sets with poor turnouts still. I don't think they'd want to deprive people of the full concert they usually put effort into. The past few tours they've tried to bring their arena stage to as many places as possible. There's only a few places they could play an arena show. And since they already mostly do single shows in cities adding a small venue wouldn't fix that problem.

It would be cool if they did small venue concerts just for fan pleasing, but even then the most logistically easy thing to do would be just to put the same effort they put into their concerts as any other part of the world except Sweden.

I still like their arena shows. But I think it'd be great to allow more fans access to shows like their Webster Hall and Mayan shows. These don't have to be in every city, but imagine doing a dozen small shows in the U.S., and the only way you can get in is to be a Muse.mu member or something like that. Those would all sell out, wouldn't they?

My two cents from concert experience. A band doesn't need a huge arena and 20,000+ fans to create a powerful and effective theatrical experience. Most pyrotechnics and visual effects suit smaller venues just fine. Steam canons, spark curtains, and maybe even hovering drones. I've seen most of these visual effects and more performed for a crowds of 1,000 - 5,000. And Muse has astronomically more resources. What's there to lose?

That's the thing, just because they're in a smaller venue doesn't mean they'll go above and beyond.

It's a matter of what audience they're going to continue playing to, and I don't think that the audience they're playing to in the United States is exactly viable. Assuming the tour being the way it is as a result of declining numbers rather than it being a rushed, jumbled mess, that tells me that the pop crowd aren't repeat audiences.

The thing that really bothers me is how a band like Nine Inch Nails with a fraction of the audience can more successfully play the same venues. Look at the numbers. They have 1/5th of Muse's numbers yet the crowds they're playing to are so fucking hardcore and crazy, they're going to every single show every single time. I really do believe Muse's catalog and live production is comparable to Nine Inch Nails, so why are they on the polar opposite end when you compare the two?

I don't blame the US or the crowds, because this is the audience they built up since 2010, and I don't see any of the same faces from previous tours, because the hardcore fans felt alienated by new material, the direction of the live shows and the way the US gets systematically fucked over every single time.

I'd rather not have pyrotechnics in smaller venues.

:yesey:

The thing that really bothers me is how a band like Nine Inch Nails with a fraction of the audience can more successfully play the same venues. Look at the numbers. They have 1/5th of Muse's numbers yet the crowds they're playing to are so fucking hardcore and crazy, they're going to every single show every single time. I really do believe Muse's catalog and live production is comparable to Nine Inch Nails, so why are they on the polar opposite end when you compare the two?

I'd have to say it's just two different brands of crazy with the fans. :LOL: That, and NIN's album output is solid and consistent throughout. Although I did feel some fan shift during the Tension Tour, similar to that of the Drones Tour. Different faces, not as much dedication to queuing. Things change. :(

Edited by JessicaSarahS

• 2 weeks later...

My thing about a small venue is that the theatrics are stripped down and do not drive the setlist and show. It opens up more spontaneity.

And they wouldn't have to do it at all cities, but it would be nice to have like a "Muse.mu members only" admission to these 5000 person venues (which could open up later if they don't actually sell out). The arena shows would attract the pop fans. The smaller shows would attract the hardcore fans (especially if you implement an effective anti-scalping method, such as credit card entry and/or audience restriction). I think there are enough big Muse fans to attract with something like this... to get the crowds with the energy that they'd like to play to.

Or maybe I'm just being to hopeful.