Manson MBK 1 or 2?

Alex

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Manson MBK 1 or 2 or even the Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens. I've pre-ordered a Cort MBC1 and plan on putting a Seymour Duncan cool rails in the neck but i'm unsure as to what should go in the bridge. I have a few Gibson's with humbuckers and a Harmony h78 with single coils so i'd quite like a p90 sound. However, i keep seeing in posts here that the MBK 2 is brilliant and i would like to try it. Anybody who can chip in with help would be much appreciated!

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Manson MBK 1 or 2 or even the Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens. I've pre-ordered a Cort MBC1 and plan on putting a Seymour Duncan cool rails in the neck but i'm unsure as to what should go in the bridge. I have a few Gibson's with humbuckers and a Harmony h78 with single coils so i'd quite like a p90 sound. However, i keep seeing in posts here that the MBK 2 is brilliant and i would like to try it. Anybody who can chip in with help would be much appreciated!

MBK 2 is a hot rockin pickup, I have them in the bridge of two guitars, they really rip, and clean up quite nice. I also have a Mississippi Queen P90 in the neck of my one Les Paul, thing is fat and creamy. Never used one in the bridge though.

If we're talking about bridge I'd go for the MBK-2, I had one on a Tele I bought from Mansons a few years ago, it was a pretty hot pickup but didn't lose any definition for being so, sounded really great. As for a MQ, I have one of those in another Tele's neck position, and it's bloody lovely (edit: so basically what the Emperor said).

Bare Knuckle in general make quality stuff so it's hard to go wrong there, in my experience anyway. I think the MBK1 is also based on the MQ? Similar to the MBK2 essentially being a modified Nailbomb. Could be wrong though

Ideal combo for me would be an MBK2/Nailbomb in the bridge, MQ in the neck, but if you're set on the cool rails then fair enough!

If you want the P90 sound then go with the MBK-1.

What I'd do though is get the MBK-2 and have it wired for a coil split push/pull though. They sound surprisingly good when split (although not like a P90 I guess)

Also, I'm not familiar with the cool rails, but keep in mind that you're having a humbucker in the neck and a P90 in the bridge if you go with the first setup. I'd either go with two single coils (maybe the stock neck pickup and a bridge MBK-1), two humbuckers (cool rails and MBK-2), or a neck single coil and a bridge humbucker.

Thanks for the replies! I think you have all confirmed what i was originally thinking, an MBK-2 in the bridge. However, i had no idea that the cool rails was a humbucker so i'll have to rethink that one maybe because i'm looking for a proper single coil for the neck. Does anybody have any suggestions on a neck single coil then?