Dodgy whammy mods?

Monkeychild

I've just received a whammy 4 I got off eBay which is modded although the seller could no longer remember what everything did.

There is a small, red button marked 'cal' which I took to be for calibration due to true bypass being added.

Instead this is the button I need to use to turn the effect on and off with TB. If I use the usual button I get a volume drop.

There are also 3 small black buttons.

One right under the standard on/off button which cycles through the settings, working its way down.

There are 2 buttons to the right of the normal button, on their own they do nothing. If I push and hold the bottom button though, I can use the one above it to cycle through settings in a different direction to before.

Does anyone know why anyone would so this or am I using things wrong or something?

The guy claimed he paid for it to be done which is what I don't get.

The whole cycle thing would be fairly useful if you just had an up and a down button.

The whole TB thing makes no sense either.. So it's like the actual switch works like usual and they've just looked at a photo of another mod and decided that must be what turns the effect on and off really.

None of it really makes sense to me.

Here's a photo of the insides.

It looks like they've done the bypass mod.. It also looks like they've taken the LED feed but not actually fitted an LED.. Just taken it into the light at the top.

With the 2 switches at the side, they're both connected at one of the arms.. Is this why they BOTH have to be pushed down to work?

If I took one switch out, hid it inside and taped it up to be constantly pushed down, this would give me 2 up and down switches, yes?

What I can't work out is why the calibration button turns the effect on and off without losing the tone? If I use the usual button it's like I said in the original post.. Any suggestions anyone?

image.thumb.jpg.5368a67d0eab5b98d0fb42a76a481839.jpg

it's really hard to say, as i'm not familiar with the circuit and the picture doesn't really give much information on what was done either

If I were you, I'd return it, but otherwise put it back to stock. it doesn't look like it would be too difficult... unless he cut some traces :facepalm:

it does sound like he did it himself, screwed it up, and put it on ebay

it's really hard to say, as i'm not familiar with the circuit and the picture doesn't really give much information on what was done either

If I were you, I'd return it, but otherwise put it back to stock. it doesn't look like it would be too difficult... unless he cut some traces :facepalm:

it does sound like he did it himself, screwed it up, and put it on ebay

Yeah he cut traces.

Yeah he cut traces.

:\

Well there are ways to fix that, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe he labeled some of them incorrectly, but I'm having a hard time understanding some of the modifications

:\

Well there are ways to fix that, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe he labeled some of them incorrectly, but I'm having a hard time understanding some of the modifications

I've basically left it as it is since it works, I've just taken the 2 switches away at the side.

I tried taping one down constantly so that I'd just have 2 switches but firstly they both just stopped working and then after I took the tape off, it started cycling through the same way the other button did.

Do I've taped them up and stuck them inside.

I moved the calibration switch to one of those holes so its a little easier to press.

So that'll have to do for now.

Now all I need is some kind person to go over to the pedal ordering thread and help me reallocate all my pedals for my new setup. :)

Archived