So what if OoS is, for all intents and purposes, a perfect album? It doesn't mean that Muse are incapable of pulling off that same kind of greatness again, and they certainly did with Absolution.

Exactly. It seems to be more of a pissing contest between board members than anything else, and that is really a shame. There are SO MANY Muse sites out there and surely there must be a more user-friendly message board but I'm too overwhelmed to look for one.

And people can give me the "they're just a BAND" nonsense all they want, because no, Muse are not JUST a band, and anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously not turned on a radio lately, or truly appreciates what they are doing. They are unbelievably superior to approximately 99.99999999999999% of what has been plaguing airwaves as of late. The sheer emotional force of practically every one of their songs ALONE is evidence enough.

See, that must be the "American" thing. We're subjected to so much bullshit. I haven't even listened to commerical radio in about 2 years because of it. Half of me wants them to stay relatively unknown so i can see them in a 500 capacity club and freak the fuck out cause I'm thisclose, but the other half wants to shout Muse from the top of every building because if even half of the radio audience who thinks, um, Green Day or um, I don't even know cause I don't pay attention to "mainstream", rock and they discover Muse and have their minds blown what kind of beautiful movement it could be. Maybe in 2008 (if we make it that far) will be a more optimistic story.

And yes, I'd like to dare anyone in the US to compare Stockholm Syndrome to any "#1" American hit and tell me it's shite.

Oh ya, and Istya, I did get teary eyes when that 40 year old woman won the BR challenge. :-)

I was making "grrr" noises because Austin's dress OWNED hers, but then, Banana Republic is way too boring to ever like anything that gorgeous. :p

See, that must be the "American" thing. We're subjected to so much bullshit. I haven't even listened to commerical radio in about 2 years because of it. Half of me wants them to stay relatively unknown so i can see them in a 500 capacity club and freak the fuck out cause I'm thisclose, but the other half wants to shout Muse from the top of every building because if even half of the radio audience who thinks, um, Green Day or um, I don't even know cause I don't pay attention to "mainstream", rock and they discover Muse and have their minds blown what kind of beautiful movement it could be. Maybe in 2008 (if we make it that far) will be a more optimistic story.

And yes, I'd like to dare anyone in the US to compare Stockholm Syndrome to any "#1" American hit and tell me it's shite.

I feel exactly the same way about it. I sometimes feel that I want to keep Muse all to myself here in my little slice of the universe, but I also want them to get the respect they so obviously deserve everywhere. I'm positive that this world would be an immensely better place if Muse could somehow overthrow the dynasty of rap and emo garbage and nu-metal and bubblegum pop nonsense and other various rubbish we're constantly exposed to here.

And personally, I think we'll be a smoldering crator by 2008, but you never know...

And personally, I think we'll be a smoldering crator by 2008, but you never know...

I know, that's not funny. It keeps me up at night.

When I saw them in Detroit I was talking to this "older" woman in the pit who had never been to a rock show before and was there with her daughter who took her as a birthday present. This lady is a music teacher at a high school and said that she talks about Muse to her students all the time and they don't know who they are. She tries to tell them that they are real musicians and the structures of their songs far surpass anything Britney or Beyonce could ever come up with. But the kinds don't care so much.

I don't get it. It's been quite awhile since I was a kid but I think I could at least appreciate the piano brilliance of B&H on many levels at that age.

I am SO JEALOUS of all these people posting about the Earls Ct show. I wanna see them again so bad. They're so addictive. It makes me sad hearing about all the violence, though. It reminds me of the Detroit show and it really sucked having to protect yourself rather than pay attention to the music. Really sucked. But that's the world we live in. Kids interpret the emotion of Muse's music as an excuse to act batshit. Shame. Can't wait for the bootlegs and DVD though!!!!

It makes me sad hearing about all the violence, though. It reminds me of the Detroit show and it really sucked having to protect yourself rather than pay attention to the music. Really sucked. But that's the world we live in. Kids interpret the emotion of Muse's music as an excuse to act batshit. Shame.

I know! When my friends and I saw them in Providence in April, there was nothing like that at the show- only real fans who had been waiting "forever" to see them play (and by that I mean everyone was a fan for the right reason; it makes no difference whether you've known about Muse for 5 years or 5 minutes, because the intensity is going to be the same if you're a music lover). But this time around, lots of people didn't even know the songs that weren't on the radio, they just went to "mosh" and I'll never be able to put into words how deeply I hate that.

I know! When my friends and I saw them in Providence in April, there was nothing like that at the show- only real fans who had been waiting "forever" to see them play (and by that I mean everyone was a fan for the right reason; it makes no difference whether you've known about Muse for 5 years or 5 minutes, because the intensity is going to be the same if you're a music lover). But this time around, lots of people didn't even know the songs that weren't on the radio, they just went to "mosh" and I'll never be able to put into words how deeply I hate that.

Maybe that's why everyone is getting their panties in a bundle over noob's cause they don't have the passion for the band like the rest of us? But that's bullshit as far as what you said about the 5 years/5 minutes thing. One of my biggest disappointments as far as jerks going to mosh is during songs like Ruled to Secrecy when they should be listening to the aural beauty they're shouting to each other, calling people on their cells etc. Even shows I was in the front row for, where i assume "real" fans would be there were people disrespecting the band and us fans doing that!

Oh well, never gonna be a perfect world.

I have a couple of bootlegs but I want the real thing.

Do any of you guys have a copy of Origin of Symmetry in its entirety? Not official necessarily but a downloaded copy? Where did you get it? I've been trying to find a place where I can get the whole thing. My computer skills are a little limited so I'd appreciated any help please. Thanks! :)

At both of the Muse shows I've been to, I've been the only person who appeared to even remotely recognise anything other than TIRO (this summer) and Hysteria (last month). During the Curiosa set, people were amazingly violent during B&H! I couldn't figure out why anyone would disregard the immense emotional power of that song in favour of hopping around and rudely bumping into the few people (read: person) who actually cared about enjoying the music. Also, a whole crapload of twats were yakking on their cell phones and spilling beer on each other for most of the set! What in the hell is wrong with people? Jesus. Last month's show was a bit better, but I still walked away with more than a few scrapes. There was moshing during Citizen Erased, for fuck's sake! :indiff:

Can't people go to nu-metal shows and do dumb shit like that? Leave Muse for the depressingly small number who appreciate them...

I have a couple of bootlegs but I want the real thing.

Do any of you guys have a copy of Origin of Symmetry in its entirety? Not official necessarily but a downloaded copy? Where did you get it? I've been trying to find a place where I can get the whole thing. My computer skills are a little limited so I'd appreciated any help please. Thanks! :)

i got my copy off of Amazon.com

At both of the Muse shows I've been to, I've been the only person who appeared to even remotely recognise anything other than TIRO (this summer) and Hysteria (last month). During the Curiosa set, people were amazingly violent during B&H! I couldn't figure out why anyone would disregard the immense emotional power of that song in favour of hopping around and rudely bumping into the few people (read: person) who actually cared about enjoying the music. Also, a whole crapload of twats were yakking on their cell phones and spilling beer on each other for most of the set! What in the hell is wrong with people? Jesus. Last month's show was a bit better, but I still walked away with more than a few scrapes. There was moshing during Citizen Erased, for fuck's sake! :indiff:

Can't people go to nu-metal shows and do dumb shit like that? Leave Muse for the depressingly small number who appreciate them...

Depressingly .... lol.

What's also funny is all the British slang and spelling you use! i've been saying bullocks alot more now also ... it's catching.

Hey - no one ever answered me what the difference between liek and like is!

i've been a bad Muse fan. Only 2 weeks ago did i finally get OOS. All i had was a downloaded copy of the album when it came out. My logic... "I'll buy it when they release it here in the U.S." :LOL: Oh, how silly of me.

Its hard to say which was my favorite. Coachella, first time. San Diego, well, it was like 200 people there. Wiltern... freakin' Space Dementia. I'm sure they'll find ways to wow me next year. hell, hearing it live on xfm today was amazing as well. Made my workday tolerable.

My personal thoughts on moshing: if it gets to the point where it IS a bunch of kids who don't care about Muse, and are just slamming into people so violently that it gets in the way of fans' experience, and are so inconsiderate that they don't even help the person that they just knocked over/kicked in the face, then it's obviously a big problem. However... if it's done right, it can take the energy that the band puts forth to the audience, and raise it to an even higher level.

I am not a violent mosher. I don't flail around knocking people in the face. I do jump and dance around to the appropriate songs, because my excitement just cannot be contained, and I'm just not the type of person to gaze reflectively into space while Plug In Baby is being performed with incredible passion a few feet away from me.

Just allow yourself to get lost in the music and let Muse take your body where they will. ;) And by that, I don't mean mosh nonstop. Anyone with common sense and respect for the band/audience knows when crazy high-on-Muse dancing is appropriate, and when calm, reflective admiration is better. (And if you're not a mosher/dancer, you can still get just as much out of the show - it's all personal preference, really.) Call me crazy, but with a band as emotionally orgasmic as Muse, moshing is an art form. But, like I said, you have to do it right. I mean, I'm not going to jump around like a maniac to Ruled by Secrecy. But I'll be damned if I'm expected to stand still to Stockholm!

This portion of Moshing 101 brought to you by LunaSea. :rolleyes:

P.S. The ONLY cell phone use during a Muse show should be in the case of people calling friends that were unable to be there and letting them hear half of a song through really shitty cell reception, because hey, it's better than hearing nothing at all.

Depressingly .... lol.

What's also funny is all the British slang and spelling you use! i've been saying bullocks alot more now also ... it's catching.

Hey - no one ever answered me what the difference between liek and like is!

Haha, I can't help my weakness for British typing/slang. They had the English language long before Americans did, so I figure they know how to use it best. :happy:

The difference between liek and like is a typo... as far as I know.

LUNASEA! I haven't seen you here before!! Yeah alright!

OK:

My personal thoughts on moshing: if it gets to the point where it IS a bunch of kids who don't care about Muse, and are just slamming into people so violently that it gets in the way of fans' experience, and are so inconsiderate that they don't even help the person that they just knocked over/kicked in the face, then it's obviously a big problem. However... if it's done right, it can take the energy that the band puts forth to the audience, and raise it to an even higher level.

Exactly. I think the problem is the first part - kids who don't get out to a lot of live shows cause they're under 18 or something freaking out with no regard for everyone around them cause they don't neccessarily know any better. It's nice to be enthusiastic, but as you said, there's a time and place and Ruled By Secrecy is neither the time nor the place.

I am not a violent mosher. I don't flail around knocking people in the face. I do jump and dance around to the appropriate songs, because my excitement just cannot be contained, and I'm just not the type of person to gaze reflectively into space while Plug In Baby is being performed with incredible passion a few feet away from me.

I don't know if dancing and jumping is moshing. I sure do my share of that (and head banging) and I don't think of that as violent. i think of moshing as violent. Muse have so much passion, the music has so much passion, it's really impossible not to channel your energy somehow as that's going. You said "let Muse take your body where they will" and that's a quote of the day. So true and beautiful. Where do kids see violence in the music? In the driving bass line? Cause I don't see it ... I just see positive energy.

Call me crazy, but with a band as emotionally orgasmic as Muse, moshing is an art form. But, like I said, you have to do it right. I mean, I'm not going to jump around like a maniac to Ruled by Secrecy. But I'll be damned if I'm expected to stand still to Stockholm!

YOU'RE CRAZEEE! :LOL:

iIts hard to say which was my favorite. Coachella, first time. San Diego, well, it was like 200 people there. Wiltern... freakin' Space Dementia. I'm sure they'll find ways to wow me next year. hell, hearing it live on xfm today was amazing as well. Made my workday tolerable.

I went to all those shows as well and I'd say the SD show was the best to me. Such a tiny place, and such an amazing performance. I was on high all night! The Wiltern shows were great too...especially Thursday's.

The first atlanta show was intense...it was so amazing the crowd just jumped as one it felt like, and sung along as well and went nuts throughout the 6 songs they played...it's too bad that show got cut short, as it was so intense it would have made an incredible show. That show was so lively that matt beat his own face with his guitar, he's hardcore, haha.

vvSig update, yeah!

HI groovcat!! :D

I don't know if dancing and jumping is moshing. I sure do my share of that (and head banging) and I don't think of that as violent. i think of moshing as violent.

Hmm, maybe you're right. I always called it that, but I guess moshing is technically the part where people slam into each other on purpose.

Muse have so much passion, the music has so much passion, it's really impossible not to channel your energy somehow as that's going. You said "let Muse take your body where they will" and that's a quote of the day. So true and beautiful.

Thank you. How about this: Muse is behind the wheel, and we are the passengers. ;)

Where do kids see violence in the music? In the driving bass line? Cause I don't see it ... I just see positive energy.

I agree. I guess it's what you were saying before. They don't know any better... they're young and hardly ever get a chance to go to live shows, so they act like maniacs... or, they just need an excuse to be violent, and something with that much passion evokes emotion, which is confused with violence. I guess.

YOU'RE CRAZEEE! :LOL:

Thank you, thank you. *curtsy*

I don't really care what people do at shows, but when they involve me and others who don't want to be involved, it's just selfish and unnecessary. I don't go around rubbing my sweaty body on others who look like they'd rather not be molested, so why should I have to deal with it? Afterall I bought tickets to a concert, not a wrestling match. Sorry about that, it's just awful for girls and I'll never be able to say how much I hate it.

muse is new to me, i only listened to their songs for the first time this week. but the sound of it just blew me away. now i'm so addicted to Absolution. it's on my playlist forever. so sad i missed them live in Columbus in November. :( Muse, please come back to OH and i won't miss you guys again...

The first atlanta show was intense...it was so amazing the crowd just jumped as one it felt like, and sung along as well and went nuts throughout the 6 songs they played...it's too bad that show got cut short, as it was so intense it would have made an incredible show. That show was so lively that matt beat his own face with his guitar, he's hardcore, haha.

vvSig update, yeah!

Yes that show was wonderful. No barricade...just right up on the stage.

Everyone singing along and respecting each other's space. The crowd clapping along to Newborn (I know it is standard procedure for their show but it was still cool).

We were right under Matt that night so we got a nice clear shot of the bloody incident.

Talking Head- I downloaded OOS from soulseek. Try that.

I also found an the import cd at Virgin store in Orlando last weekend. I was so excited.

Archived