How do i build a "Kaoss" Guitar with a ipod touch ??

AndrewM93

Er...you really want to stick an ipod touch to a guitar with a tape? :wtf:. Or you want to build that in?

Why won't you ask people who made this video how did they do that, anyway? I guess it'd be much easier.

You can buy a kaoss pad for about 120pounds (100 pounds in Poland as much as I know), so yep - you better save up and get some "serious stuff".

Interesting...if you have to charge your iphod...how will you charge that if it's built into a guitar?

Also comments to this video - priceless:

that does sound pretty cool, but its not entirely practical. i mean, i wouldnt want to have some guy standing in front of me looking like he's trying to poke my dick through my guitar or something. lol, i think i'll just stick with a good ol' fashioned wah pedal.

Can't remember what app to use, but you need software like Ableton Live (I think other software is a bit more complicated for MIDI mapping) to map the MIDI signals.

Also, apparently Ipod Touch's, Ipads and all that don't work with any sort of moisture on the screen or on your fingers, so basically useless in a live situation, where there's sweat/beer/water/blood.

Cheaper & easier just to get a Kaoss Pad.

There must be an app that outputs midi messages from the ipod, that app will probably come with instructions to installing another piece of software on the pc to receive the messages. The chances are that an internal midi port will be needed (google it) which will forward the received messages into ableton or whatever you wish to control.

This is all assumptions though but it's how I've done similar things before, mainly android related though.

Er...you really want to stick an ipod touch to a guitar with a tape? :wtf:. Or you want to build that in?

Why won't you ask people who made this video how did they do that, anyway? I guess it'd be much easier.

You can buy a kaoss pad for about 120pounds (100 pounds in Poland as much as I know), so yep - you better save up and get some "serious stuff".

Interesting...if you have to charge your iphod...how will you charge that if it's built into a guitar?

Also comments to this video - priceless:

Hmmm no build it ,, only using tape:LOL:

But... now im serious thinking on buy the kaoss pad ;) .

Im saying this just for experience :LOL:

BTW ,, Where i can buy a Kaoss pad 2 ?? Only on the web ??

BTW ,, Where i can buy a Kaoss pad 2 ?? Only on the web ??

You could just buy traditional effects units for guitar, as they are designed for guitarists, not for DJs & synth players, who actually have hands spare to use the device.

Bellamy only uses it for the synth patches to create theremin-esque synth sounds without having to change instruments or stay in one place. So in the real world, the KP is pointless for guitar.

There must be an app that outputs midi messages from the ipod, that app will probably come with instructions to installing another piece of software on the pc to receive the messages. The chances are that an internal midi port will be needed (google it) which will forward the received messages into ableton or whatever you wish to control.

This is all assumptions though but it's how I've done similar things before, mainly android related though.

Touch Osc does that, you can build custom interfaces and everything!

I've used my iphone for sample playback and theramin-esque noises before - works fine but gets annoying having to change the settings from 'phone' to 'instrument' and back all the time!

Apps exist that send data over wifi to a server application/programme (depending on your OS) which converts the data from a 'XY' touchpad app or a gyroscope app into MIDI messages. The server can be used as a MIDI input to change paramaters of effects, synths, anything midi controllable.

The apps are free also, such as iXY or MIDI motion.

Here is a thread for a tutorial i've just made for controlling a WH4 using iPhone, pretty similar workflow.

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=79849

Archived