My interpretation of "You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween"

EternallyPissed

I've been reading comments on Discord and Twitter which contend the new song "You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween" is about domestic violence during the pandemic. There are even some on the latter site which have reportedly "dropped Muse" due to the upbeat nature of the song coinciding with said alleged theme of it. However, the only comment I can find potentially confirming that the song's inspiration was in fact domestic violence during the pandemic was courtesy of Mark Beaumont in an NME article he wrote about the band/album. Did any of the band members confirm this as well?

Reading over the lyrics, while I can see why Mr. Beaumont interpreted them to be about domestic violence, I'm getting the feeling it's not as clear cut as that. To me it almost comes across like a satire about COVID-conspiracists, spoken/sung from the vantage point of one such individual. He or she is paranoid, not so much about the pandemic, but about governmental control during it, and no matter what their problems were pre-COVID, all their problems before and after the virus's inception they now claim to be the fault of the government.

"You cut me off from my friends

You cut me off from my family

I'm in misery (I'm your number one fan)

Each day I fall to my knees

I see the writing on the wall

Now I'm in withdrawal"

They don't trust the government; they don't trust the CDC; they don't trust Dr. Fauci; and even though vaccinations for the virus started under the candidate they voted for - Donald Trump, they tend to not trust vaccines either. As new information comes to light regarding the virus, and narratives inevitably shift as a result; their suspicions grow; and they take to conspiracy-theorists on social-media for answers - their paranoia exacerbating in the process.

"You got me checking my mirror

You make me feel like I'm on the run

Where'd you hide the gun?

The kitchen knife in your hand

Are you the poison, are you the cure?

I'm not so sure"

They've been told we're now residing in a dictatorship, where freedom is a thing of the past, all the while many around them are somehow enjoying life and freedom - especially if precautionary measures were taken to help slow the spread of the virus.

"I'm shackled, there is no way out

I can't escape

When you turn out the lights

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween

When you skulk 'round the house

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween"

They see what's not there; are spooked by the thought of it; and believe they won't truly be alive and free again until they're overtaken by fear and paranoia over the illusory.

"I see your eye in the keyhole

I feel like it's Halloween

It's Halloween

Won't reset until I'm possessed

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween"

The song ends ironically with the spoken words, "But you are the caretaker" - as it's noted that the entity about which the central character feels such intense fear and paranoia is essentially their doctor/nurse/mother/father, trying to protect them.

Like with the title track to the album, I think the central reason for the song's upbeat, and in this case spooky-fun, tone is because it's mocking right-wing conspiracy theorists, who are set on destroying that which they claim to love and be building (making great again); for buying into the nonsense that doctors and scientists have been brainwashing the masses, all the while they themselves get brainwashed on medical matters by some guy named TrustMeImNotADocter on YouTube.

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe it as upbeat.....but it could be darker given the intention (yes domestic violence confirmed by Matt in an interview).    Matt intentionally incorporated a variety of horror themes into the song including references to a variety of Movies: Misery, IT, the Shining but it comes across as campy at best.  And the video (which I like) doesn't help ...it seems like a parody of a horror movie.  I think as a result it loses the edge of its intention.  I will not cancel them though as I don't take Muse too seriously any more and just listen to the music. 

Edited by sweetdave
typo

3 minutes ago, sweetdave said:

I wouldn't describe it as upbeat.....but it could be darker given the intention (yes domestic violence confirmed by Matt in an interview).    Matt intentionally incorporated a variety of horror themes into the song including references to a variety of Movies: Misery, IT, the Shining but it comes across as campy at best.  And the video (which I like) doesn't help ...it seems like a parody of a horror movie.  I think as a result it loses the edge of its intention.  I will not cancel them though as I don't take Muse too seriously any more and just listen to the music. 

Where/When did Matt confirm it? Do you happen to have a link? I've yet to see/hear it.

10 hours ago, sweetdave said:

Loosely discussed in NME interview but not a direct quote....On The Cover – Muse: “There’s gonna be a big shift. We're dealing with a disruptive transition” (nme.com)

Take this to mean this was the inspiration...but then evolved at least to me to absurd horror movie parody

Right, that's the article to which I was referring in my post. At no point do I see Matt quoted on what his inspiration for the song was. Given the upbeat tempo (not tone); the parody-like video; etc., I just have to wonder if the author of the piece - Mark Beaumont - may have at least partially misinterpreted the song's intent/message. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has occurred. I remember reading an article after the "Compliance" song/video was released, wondering if it was an anti-mask anthem.

I just watched the video from around 14.15 to 17:00 so I'm not sure if he talks about it elsewhere, but it didn't seem like he touched on whether the song has any deeper meaning beyond the SK references. So it's still open to interpretation whether Matt was thinking about abusive relationships during lockdown or your right wing paranoia about government, I guess? Or have they spoken about it elsewhere? It is interesting, I've also seen some on reddit call it distasteful to make a goofy-sounding song about such a serious issue. Not that it would be the first time Muse have done that. Though it does stick out more probably because it's right after Ghosts, which is also about a serious topic but the music matches the lyrical content.

3 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

I just watched the video from around 14.15 to 17:00 so I'm not sure if he talks about it elsewhere, but it didn't seem like he touched on whether the song has any deeper meaning beyond the SK references. So it's still open to interpretation whether Matt was thinking about abusive relationships during lockdown or your right wing paranoia about government, I guess? Or have they spoken about it elsewhere? It is interesting, I've also seen some on reddit call it distasteful to make a goofy-sounding song about such a serious issue. Not that it would be the first time Muse have done that. Though it does stick out more probably because it's right after Ghosts, which is also about a serious topic but the music matches the lyrical content.

Exactly. All he talked about was the horror-film references throughout the song and that the band realized they hadn't released a holiday-type song yet, so they thought a Halloween-themed one would be fun/cool. I mean, who knows? I just find it interesting the alleged "domestic-violence" theme hasn't been confirmed by any of the band members (to my knowledge), and started via an NME article written by Mark Beaumont. I suppose it's also possible Matt left the interpretation(s) open for a reason, as his intent was for the lyrics to be ambiguous, and thereby simultaneously tackle multiple issues at once. :: shrugs ::

• Like 1

Okay, so I just watched a rare interview with Chris, and when talking about life during the pandemic, he said something along the lines of, "I think it was the first time most of us got stuck with ourselves at home for a significant period of time, and we learned a lot about ourselves as a result," and something clicked. At this, I thought, "Oh, wow, there it is - the theme of '...Halloween!'"

I now wonder if it's horror-themed because it centers around the scariest hypothetical scenario of all for some people - being stuck at home and having to deal with yourself and your flaws/problems, instead of going out and attempting to deny them through sex, drugs, and alcohol. As we turn out the light at night, fear strikes our innermost soul, as we've been forced to deal with ourselves; we ultimately don't know who we are; and that ignorance is haunting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...