Old songs played slower and/or half step down

Claudia O

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question about half a step down first (since it's easier): Cave in 2009-2010, Falling Down in 2012, Showbiz since 2017, Muscle Museum since 2015, Sing For Absolution from late 2003 and onward, Starlight had a very small number of performances in the original key before being lowered, Invincible was lowered in 2008 iirc, I have a feeling that Exo-Politics was lowered but can be wrong on that.  *deep breath* No lowered songs on The Resistance, then Madness on T2L and honestly after that is when I stopped paying attention to Muse's normal tours. 

Regarding tempo, a bunch of their songs changed tempo in their early career before everything was set to a metronome. New Born used to be the most popular example of fans whining because of the lowered tempo live. In reality they just started playing it at the same speed as the studio version. It's just that they had a period of a few years when they played it faster.

• Thanks 1

Thank you 😁

I wonder why they played Sing for absolution and Invinsible lower so early after its release ! Maybe Matt should have started writing in a lower key, well now he does 

8 hours ago, Hat said:

Regarding tempo, a bunch of their songs changed tempo in their early career before everything was set to a metronome. New Born used to be the most popular example of fans whining because of the lowered tempo live. In reality they just started playing it at the same speed as the studio version. It's just that they had a period of a few years when they played it faster.

How to describe a Muser 😅 

It's pretty common to lower the key simply to keep the voice from getting destroyed. It's one thing to be able to sing a difficult song. it's another to be able to do it along with 15-20 other songs several nights a week when your sleep is irregular. 

He also has a few other strategies for keeping the voice rather than just lowering the key. In Propaganda, Feeling Good, Explorers, Resistance and others he simply replaces the few high chest notes that the songs have with falsetto. And in songs like Dead Inside and Survival, he lowers the specific high notes to another note in the same key. 

And then ofc there's always the strategy of Big Freeze.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:04 PM, Hat said:

To answer the question about half a step down first (since it's easier): Cave in 2009-2010, Falling Down in 2012, Showbiz since 2017, Muscle Museum since 2015, Sing For Absolution from late 2003 and onward, Starlight had a very small number of performances in the original key before being lowered, Invincible was lowered in 2008 iirc, I have a feeling that Exo-Politics was lowered but can be wrong on that.  *deep breath* No lowered songs on The Resistance, then Madness on T2L and honestly after that is when I stopped paying attention to Muse's normal tours. 

*deeper breath*
Unintended (+ pretty sure Falling Down was still in A for its revival, just shorter)

Darkshines, Futurism

Eternally Missed, Fury

TAB, Exo-P (u ain’t wrong)

MKU

Revolt

Edited by Jobby

2 hours ago, Jobby said:

*deeper breath*
Unintended (+ pretty sure Falling Down was still in A for its revival, just shorter)

Darkshines, Futurism

Eternally Missed, Fury

TAB, Exo-P (u ain’t wrong)

MKU

Revolt

Oh damn, completely forgot some of those. The part of my brain reserved for Muse facts is not what it once was. 

18 hours ago, Hat said:

Oh damn, completely forgot some of those. The part of my brain reserved for Muse facts is not what it once was. 

Ugh don’t even

I haven’t really consistently engaged anywhere about Muse for ages and I’ve slowly felt my info retrieving muscles atrophy. “They played x song 11 times between June and September of that year” has turned to “
did they play that on that tour?”

I’m also constantly paranoid that something could be happening and I’ve no idea because idk how to stay in the loop these days 😭