What "grade" would Ruled By Secrecy be on Piano?

G.M.K

Sorry if this has already been posted, I honestly couldn't find an answer searching! I'm just wondering what Equivalent grade Ruled by Secrecy, like for a piano exam or something similar.

Thanks a million in advance!

Spambot trys to be helpful.

Spambot fails.

Im not sure how easy it would be to whack a grade on a song like ruled by secrecy, given that the first half or so of the song is simple arps, but then it gets a little more technical with the epic piano solo. I mean, matt fucked up the solo on the actual studio recording if you listen carefully, so it must be like, grade 9001.

Ruled by Secrecy is actually very simple, the verses and choruses are just arpeggios on both hands and the solo is just chords played with both hands... I really can't work out why Matt used that take for the album. I'd say about grade 5-6??

haha thanks for the replies yeah it's strange with the mistake there...Very Willy Mason thing to do though, keep the mistakes in. I was just wondering because I've "played piano" self taught for about 4 years now, purely for writing my own stuff, but recently I said I'd give a few muse songs a whack I'm sort of wondering where I'm at because I have no good reference!

To be honest, it'd probably be a very low equivalent grade, I'd say probably 1 maybe 2, but I'm going by Australian standards so I'm not sure how much they differ from place to place. I mean, you can perfect it in a week easy, and songs at grade 5 or 6 level take so much more work to sound as good. And the solo isn't that hard, just a bunch of chords. Not to say it isn't awesome and inspiring as such, I'd much rather play it then one of my annoyingly hard exam songs that don't even sound half as good. But yea, it may sound hard, but like most muse songs, its actually really easy.

If you're really curious try out an exam song, and try to get it as good as the recording :)

I'm at Grade 4 standard at the moment and I had it under my fingers after a week or so, so I reckon you're looking at 4-5.

As someone else mentioned, the epic bit is actually easier than the 6/8 semiquavers in contrary motion at the start. It's just arpeggios of Cm and Fm mainly with added ornamentation.

the apreggios are the harder bit no doubt, I learnt the solo first, It's the stretch to the..I think E flat major chord in the chorus that gets me most of the time... it took me a while to pin down. Any suggestions as to to exam pieces I should try? I'd really like to get better at piano but I simply can't afford lessons or fit them into my schedule at the moment...

Go into any good music shop (I work in one myself!) and you'll be able to pick up either the ABRSM or Trinity Grade books (1-8).

Start with Grade 2 or 3 and work your way up. They're only around £5-10 each.

It's vital that you are confident with scales/technique too or else you may fall into bad habits. I was self taught up to Grade 4 but have just started lessons.

I only pay £9 for half an hour lesson - not as expensive as you may think.

I'll pick up a few so! I'm in Ireland though, is there a difference? can you start from a higher grade? I'm not amazing like... but I can play grade 1 and 2 pieces fairly handy like. My scales and stuff are actuallysomething I practice alot.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing for a year and a half, had no lessons and I'm now learning this. It seems fairly straight forward. I just can't get the fluidity between some of the arps. I'd say it is slightly harder than Sunburn.

Some of the chord changes though are beautiful. :happy:

Archived