Putting Lyrics to Music

Liam511

Okay so, My band are starting to write some music, Ive got about 3 possible tracks which contain so far Guitar, Bass and Drums... but ofcourse they need lyrics.

So I asked the vocalist if she'd written any and she gave me some, but Ive never even ventured into putting lyrics to a piece, I asked her if she had a rough idea how it went or how fast it was to go... she said she didnt know :stunned: So then I said "Okay, Ill play a random set of chords, normal rhythm nothing bad, you try and sing those lyrics to fit the music" She said she still dint know how it would go... So now Im in the situation where Ive to put her lyrics ontop of one of my songs and the only bit I know should go is some random staccato-ey "Hey hey hey" bit :eek:

Any tips? Im guessing its easier to make the lyrics in a syllabic word setting?

Cheeeeers

I find that if you actually have the lyrics done and have to fit it into the music scnenery that it's one of the easiest things to do, mostly it comes naturally to a singer.

I find it a bit strange that she comes up with nothing at all..

Is the song really advanced or bmore basic? (as in something simple: intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, randommmmm, chorus)

I find that if you actually have the lyrics done and have to fit it into the music scnenery that it's one of the easiest things to do, mostly it comes naturally to a singer.

I find it a bit strange that she comes up with nothing at all..

Is the song really advanced or bmore basic? (as in something simple: intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, randommmmm, chorus)

Well Ive got some lyrics... ill post a wee verse of it:

we're playing a game i'm about to loose

your stuck on me like a tattoo i cant remove

you pushed me and i'm lost in time

i never was a girl with a crazy mind.

everytime i look your eyes

the animal comes alive,

i feel like i'm about to die

as the fire's burning out in the morning light

Me and the drummer had planned a progression of C, G, A, F with his beat behind it, Im guessing something around 120 Bmp maybe a wee bit higher, but never got anywhere with it :LOL:

I imagine it would be yeah, probably Verse, chorus, verse chorus, solo ish thing, outro or something like that :LOL:

What she needs to do is hear the music and just hum a melody, then try and fit words to it, doesn't matter if they make any sense whatsoever.

Worked for Kurt Cobain.

Trying to write lyrics, then fit them to music with no idea of how they go is never going to work.

Also some people are good singers, but not great songwriters, for example, Martin Gore does most of the songwriting for Depeche Mode (So did Vince Clark before he left) and Dave Gahan sings it. :)

Trying to write lyrics, then fit them to music with no idea of how they go is never going to work.

Have you heard the holy bible? Some of the most amazing lyrics ever written, by a guy who couldn't play or sing, fitted to music by JDB. Obviously it's just my opinion, but that's such an amazing example of where it can work I think it proves it's possible.

Okay Ive got a thing written up, and ive added a melody line which basically imitates the notes sung by the vocals and a rough rhythm, which if she wants can be changed :)

Ill play it next practice and see what they think :)

Cheeeeers guys :D

yeh some people can be good singers but have no idea where to start when writing or fitting lyrics to a song. Sometimes you can just hum a basic tune to the song and then fut the lyrics to go with that. If shes written lyrics then great all you need to do is fit them into the song. But don't be scared to change what shes written in order to fit it into a song.

If you find it hard to fit certain lyrics into a song or findnig you have to nearly rap the lyrics in order to get them all into the song (unless thats what yuor going for) then start again using the same subject

If lyrics don't fit a song then don't force them in.

Yeah I think what I've done shouldnt cause much dificulty for the lyrics

Heres a (Guitar Pro version) recording of it, the quality will obviously improve with live instruments and I think ill have the Acoustic guitar hitting the bass notes and raking the rest of the chord, House of the Rising sun style :D

http://soundcloud.com/liam_scott_3/new-song-possibility

Crit accepted :D

Archived