Board slowdown - 14/08/2009

spider jerusalem

Hi!

The board is getting pretty slow sometimes on Firefox 3.0 and 3.5. I don´t know if this is happening to everyone, but it happened at work and here at college (Linux and Windows).

The slowdown happens on any action in the page: scrolling, viewing a thread, clicking on actions. The CPU gets on about 78 to 100% of use.

I´m not sure if this is happening only with me, so, Im reporting.

Cheers!

Hi!

The board is getting pretty slow sometimes on Firefox 3.0 and 3.5. I don´t know if this is happening to everyone, but it happened at work and here at college (Linux and Windows).

The slowdown happens on any action in the page: scrolling, viewing a thread, clicking on actions. The CPU gets on about 78 to 100% of use.

Cheers!

CPU issues are local issues rather than anything to do with the net. Firefox is a memory-intensive program anyawy, best advice would be to go through your task manager and see if there's any processes running that don't look important/like they should be there and kill them. Also, firefox addons can be a big drain, so shut down any you don't need and that will help. Also also, flash sites cause firefox to increase memory usage, don't ask why but they just do.

CPU issues are local issues rather than anything to do with the net. Firefox is a memory-intensive program anyawy, best advice would be to go through your task manager and see if there's any processes running that don't look important/like they should be there and kill them. Also, firefox addons can be a big drain, so shut down any you don't need and that will help. Also also, flash sites cause firefox to increase memory usage, don't ask why but they just do.

The problem is, it happened in 2 different computers, with 2 different OS , with no other site opened. It could be a new javascript from vBulletin that could be causing the Firefox js engine to get stuck interpreting the script and than rising its memory use. that was why I asked. there were not other site opened.

Thank you, anyway! :]

Hi!

Cheers!

The board is fine for me but I'm having trouble with the media player.

It stutters like mad on some videos and it appears to do it in the same places every time too.

Hi!

Cheers!

i cant say this is a problem i've experienced, is this a problem you are consistently getting? if so could you give me some more info? does it occur on particular pages or across all the pages? which skin do you use? does switching to another skin resolve the issue? how about other browsers?

the only known issue i can think that could be affecting you is using one of the new skins (default skin) with lots of opacity can have performance issues on firefox if you choose to zoom out a bit. i wasnt aware of this actually causing high cpu loads though just clunky performance though.

The board is fine for me but I'm having trouble with the media player.

It stutters like mad on some videos and it appears to do it in the same places every time too.

thats very different to the board software so not relevant here

i cant say this is a problem i've experienced, is this a problem you are consistently getting? if so could you give me some more info? does it occur on particular pages or across all the pages? which skin do you use? does switching to another skin resolve the issue? how about other browsers?

Well, Im not suffering this problem at home. I will see if tomorrow it will happen at work and at college. If it happens again I will try to give you more information about it.

It happened across all pages - main page, thread listing, reply to a thread, browsing a thread.

The skin I use is the new default one. I will change the skin if it happens again, as well as try with another browser.

the only known issue i can think that could be affecting you is using one of the new skins (default skin) with lots of opacity can have performance issues on firefox if you choose to zoom out a bit. i wasnt aware of this actually causing high cpu loads though just clunky performance though.

Okay, so if it happens again I will try with another skin.

cheers!

Archived