Is it still too cold there for the finishing work? Looking forward to seeing that obnoxious target burst

I hope you've been keeping a photo diary of this build like the last one. I still have the CD you sent me with all the pictures from that build

well the snow only went yesterday, and its still pretty chilly, and raining lots. at least my cold and cough have finally gone so i can get all the sanding work i've been putting off done. then once i can im gonna get spraying everything thats backed up

and i thought i had taken one or two pics, but i cant seem to find them. theres not that much documenting to do with this really. cut the shape out, put binding on it, route some holes, done.

well the snow only went yesterday, and its still pretty chilly, and raining lots. at least my cold and cough have finally gone so i can get all the sanding work i've been putting off done. then once i can im gonna get spraying everything thats backed up

and i thought i had taken one or two pics, but i cant seem to find them. theres not that much documenting to do with this really. cut the shape out, put binding on it, route some holes, done.

these?

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

Was there really that much more work involved in the last build? I realize it was a set neck arch top, but you're making this one sound like it's nothing haha

Also, I probably asked before, but are you still planning on doing that anniversary one or whatever it was called?

well with the other one i was carving it by hand with chisels and planes, and yeah, it is a lot more work really. and yes, i think they are the only picture of it.

yes im still planning to do that once i get yours, the chrome neck and the two jnrs done. (i'll be able to afford the gold hardware then) the top has been cut out and has been sat waiting for ages

• 3 weeks later...
on the strat or the holly? of both so they match hehe

the holly

can you do both so they have a finish like that? I know I asked for a finish like on that short scale tele style you did, but I think that was slightly different (although it might have just been the lighting/picture)

it might look a little less pale, but i could tint it a bit anyway. what i'll do is do a few coats and show you, and if you think you want it a bit darker i can tint the next coat or two

sounds good, just want it to look a little less bright against the darker finish really. if anything, just a very slight tint - not the sort of thing the strat neck has, which is pretty dark

yeah ok. im trying the hardware today with vinegar. just put it in the box so i'll just keep checking on it and see what it looks like. am i going for lightly aged or really really old or somewhere in between?

i guess somewhere in between. just so it isn't really shiny, as the bridge is raw brass. whatever matches that look I suppose.

But not to the point where it looks like a bomb exploded next to it.

• 2 weeks later...
how's the hardware doing?

it got to a certain point and then just stopped. i looked online and its a match for a 60's tele thats been played a lot but not abused. its dulled it down a lot and theres tarnishing, but its not knackered. the plate looks kinda like this only without the rust.

if you want it more knackered i can give it some more

and phill - yes. but it would need refinished obviously. but you can do that yourself if you dont want me to do it cant you. without refinishing it would be around £150-ish

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing the weather is still bad for spraying there, so I thought I'd ask... with the strat, would an oil finish or something like that be any easier to do?

not in a hurry to get the other one completed as long as you can get everything done properly, but i'm getting the DIY bug again :facepalm:

the neck already has a finish on from before, so there's nothing to worry about with that. not too bothered about this one looking beat up/aged in a short time, as it was originally something i was just going to put together with a bunch of spare parts anyway

I'm guessing the weather is still bad for spraying there, so I thought I'd ask... with the strat, would an oil finish or something like that be any easier to do?

not in a hurry to get the other one completed as long as you can get everything done properly, but i'm getting the DIY bug again :facepalm:

the neck already has a finish on from before, so there's nothing to worry about with that. not too bothered about this one looking beat up/aged in a short time, as it was originally something i was just going to put together with a bunch of spare parts anyway

well it snowed again yesterday - didnt stay or anything. everythings ready to go - hopefully next week i can start.

its up to you. if you want the strat oiled then i can do that if you want. its your guitar

well it snowed again yesterday - didnt stay or anything. everythings ready to go - hopefully next week i can start.

its up to you. if you want the strat oiled then i can do that if you want. its your guitar

well if you're planning to start next week, then i can wait. just wasn't sure if doing an oil finish would be any easier/faster

• 1 month later...

Archived