How did Matt get the title od Doctor?

vinya12

I've got a feeling I have but I can't remember :$

Remind me.

Well, I'm not sure where it actually come from, but it's a very standard joke nowadays.

" "Trust me, I'm a doctor" is also the advertising slogan for Dr. Pepper, indicating that whenever someone tells you to drink Dr. Pepper in a commercial, you should do as told, since the one telling you knows what he's talking about (since "he's a doctor"). Out of this, it has become a running gag as well as a common saying to convince somebody of something, most often empasizing that you are, in fact, not all that convinced of a certain standpoint yourself."

Was what wiki said.

Well, I'm not sure where it actually come from, but it's a very standard joke nowadays.

" "Trust me, I'm a doctor" is also the advertising slogan for Dr. Pepper, indicating that whenever someone tells you to drink Dr. Pepper in a commercial, you should do as told, since the one telling you knows what he's talking about (since "he's a doctor"). Out of this, it has become a running gag as well as a common saying to convince somebody of something, most often empasizing that you are, in fact, not all that convinced of a certain standpoint yourself."

Was what wiki said.

Oh, I'm familiar with the phrase, I thought you meant Matt, Dom or Chris had used it and it was a famous Muse quote that I should know about.

:facepalm:

Oh, I'm familiar with the phrase, I thought you meant Matt, Dom or Chris had used it and it was a famous Muse quote that I should know about.

:facepalm:

haha, then martha WAS right.

yes, they have stated that they enjoyed the title just so they could say that. :chuckle:

Board's quiet tonight. I nominate you to start a controversial thread to liven things up :D

Pff, I have to live up to my new title.

Second place in drama queen, you ain't getting nothing out of me until I win that shit!

You got second? :LOL:

So we have to wait another whole year for your controversial thread? If you win. :(

I voted for you but not for favourite Muser ;)

Second place, won by fucking OLLY.

WHO THE FUCK IS OLLY?

Third in funniest and fourth and fifth in some other shit. Meh, I'm clearly not famous enough.

Second place, won by fucking OLLY.

WHO THE FUCK IS OLLY?

Third in funniest and fourth and fifth in some other shit. Meh, I'm clearly not famous enough.

Yeah, who is Olly?

I noticed a lot of 'who the fuck is Sippe" comments in the awards thread :LOL: You're not famous enough in banter. Believe me, you're famous enough in MM.

Yeah' date=' who [i']is[/i] Olly?

I noticed a lot of 'who the fuck is Sippe" comments in the awards thread :LOL: You're not famous enough in banter. Believe me, you're famous enough in MM.

All I am known for there is lame jokes and whoring in the "post your X" threads.

Off-topic? Then fucking ban me. :phu:

Sorry, a bit late for this...

I very much agree with Matt that they don't really deserve a doctorate. Not because they're not amazing musicians but if the amount of work is comparible to a doctorate in something else, it's extremely intensive.

Umm, if I correctly understand you, you are saying that getting a doctorate requires more work than becoming an international rock star? I was thinking about this the other day - I have a doctorate in engineering, and I'm not sure it was really so hard. Don't know if you have one and were talking from experience :)

At least writing a doctor's thesis is less risky, and mostly it's just sitting on your bum and testing your assumptions (well mine was engineering mathematics, so everything on computers) and creating pictures and writing and checking the details, checking other people's work and coming up with explanations and writing etc. You can, at least in Finland, get a doctor's degree by writing a few papers in peer reviewed journal, and I would think writing such a paper doesn't mean more work than creating an album :p

Of course I don't know how easily they actually create their albums and stuff, I've just got an impression it's quite intensive work. I would never say that their honorary doctorates are unearned. If you knew what kind of bollocks gets written into "real" theses ;)

Honorary degree aren't generally given out to people who are worthy of them though.

They're given to people who are famous enough. They're kind of meaningless, really.

Sort of true, yes. For I know they are mostly given out to get some publicity to the university. I would have never heard of Plymouth University unless Muse got their honorary degrees from there.

Using titles is pretty overrated anyway. In Finland they are not used much, maybe it's written on a business card but people don't care, and it's not an issue if you are called Mr./Ms. and not a Dr. I think in Germany and UK they are used more. Actually now when I think the honorary degree is not marked with Dr., officially it's supplemented with something to show it's honorary. Don't know exactly.

This explains some of the nomination pics for sexiest muser :LOL:

I was worried it would be another body parts thread and that costanza was a euphemism for something else...

You wanna taste of my costanza? :eyebrows:

And yes indeed. Shame I never posted a pic in that thread :(

Sorry, a bit late for this...

Umm, if I correctly understand you, you are saying that getting a doctorate requires more work than becoming an international rock star? I was thinking about this the other day - I have a doctorate in engineering, and I'm not sure it was really so hard. Don't know if you have one and were talking from experience :)

At least writing a doctor's thesis is less risky, and mostly it's just sitting on your bum and testing your assumptions (well mine was engineering mathematics, so everything on computers) and creating pictures and writing and checking the details, checking other people's work and coming up with explanations and writing etc. You can, at least in Finland, get a doctor's degree by writing a few papers in peer reviewed journal, and I would think writing such a paper doesn't mean more work than creating an album :p

Of course I don't know how easily they actually create their albums and stuff, I've just got an impression it's quite intensive work. I would never say that their honorary doctorates are unearned. If you knew what kind of bollocks gets written into "real" theses ;)

Sort of true, yes. For I know they are mostly given out to get some publicity to the university. I would have never heard of Plymouth University unless Muse got their honorary degrees from there.

Using titles is pretty overrated anyway. In Finland they are not used much, maybe it's written on a business card but people don't care, and it's not an issue if you are called Mr./Ms. and not a Dr. I think in Germany and UK they are used more. Actually now when I think the honorary degree is not marked with Dr., officially it's supplemented with something to show it's honorary. Don't know exactly.

Muse aren't especially hard workers in the studio. They know their instruments well and Matt knows how to write songs. I doubt the studio work of ANY band is comparable to getting a doctorate.

Matt said the making of TR was stressful. Sounds like they (he) worked pretty hard.

Well, bands on labels usually has a deadline to work with(correct me if I'm wrong), but I still doubt that it was that much hard work involved.

It's probably a lot more work than we think.

Yes, I think so too.

My thesis was a bit over two years intensive work. In calendar time it was more, about four and half years, due to the time for the instructor and opponents to read the stuff, plus some holidays and breaks etc. That's consistent with those 3-5 years Carrie mentioned.

That is more than creating one album, but Muse didn't get their degree for one album but four plus a lot of touring. And I think they have to consider details with painful accuracy - remember that Australian interview (the one where the female interviewer didn't know much of the band and Matt started playing with the microphone and interviewing the interviewer) where the radio station played Uprising and Matt commented on that expensive synthetisizor (spell check anyone?) that made one sound at the end of the song? I don't know about others but I had never even noticed that detail. I might have noticed if I heard a version where it was missing, but otherwise it just disappears within other sounds. Plus, like with any kind of creating work, they probably do a lot of work to get somewhere and at the end they don't publish it.

Archived