elmundo.es: Muse article.

Beibi

I found this article in an Spanish online newspaper and I tried my best to translate it :$

-----

Muse, the great leap

The “Stadium Band” concept seems a thing from the past, a pre-Internet era in which music and mass entertainment was associated in a different way. Nowadays, this term remains to veterans such as U2, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and a few more... including two relatively young bands: Coldplay and Muse, which emerged at the end of century and have achieved this status gradually.

"It's strange, because there’s not many bands of our generation that reach that level, and I don’t know why is like this" says Chris Wolstenholme bassist of the band formed in the British town of Devon with Matt Bellamy (vocals) and Dominic Howard (drums). "In the case of the bands in our country, most of them don’t even try to go out, they’re big at English festivals but nowhere else. We played a lot outside the UK from the beginning, and there’s no country we prefer the most. Playing around the world” he adds “is a hard work, it's horrible, you're away from your family and is risky for your personal life, so I can understand why many bands don’t want to do this. But we love it, we still enjoy being on tour, but we know that you have to pay a price. "

Muse bassist says that the band’s global vision has been the key to get a massive impact: "I think part of the localism attitude that we are talking about comes from 'britpop', and we always hated that. Not that I think that music was shit or anything like that, people liked it, but had that mentality... it didn’t mean anything outside England, and we rebelled against that, we loved Nirvana, who played festivals everywhere. We also love traveling and being in a band allows you to discover fascinating places."

The best teachers

It also allows you to be near bands like U2, Muse supported them in their USA Tour the past fall: "It was great. U2 is one of the best live bands. We have looked closely at the way they approach their concerts, we saw them every night and there is something in the bands personality that may change to adapt to these venues: you have to embrace the whole world. Being with them was a great learning period, we respect them a lot."

The Vicente Calderon will be Muse biggest gig in Spain, just a few months after their triumphant show in November presenting their fifth and latest album, 'The Resistance', in Madrid (Palacio de los Deportes) and Barcelona (Palau Sant Jordi).

"I'm nervous, because we are having an exciting time," says Wolstenholme. "When a band becomes big, is a natural step, you start playing in small clubs, then you increase the capacity, but go from arenas to stadiums is a big change. And the way you deal with it is different. It’s really difficult to know how the band is going to work in a stadium." But the feeling he expects to find will look like this:

"It's as if the band should become one big thing, as if we were not individuals. There’s this power coming from the stage and the audience becomes part of it. Weird things happen, the emotions you have in your daily life are amplified if you're on stage, is something more energetic and great." Pure epic-ness, with no restrictions.

-----

elmundo.es

Archived