Muse microphone?

Adrienchme

Muse_001.png

Hi, i was wondering what is the hmm "brand" of the thing that Matt is using to keep his microphone near to his mouth. They really seems to be solid and the articulation looks really good.

I've already seen things about it but i can't remember what was the thread in which it has been posted, and my research is nule

Thanks

Adri

KMS105.jpg

Matt's choice of live microphone is a Neumann KMS 105. He prefers to use this microphone as it deals with his challenging mic technique (i.e. not singing near the mic).

Matt's voice goes through three stages when singing live.

* Normal, standard clean vocal with no effects

* Through an Avalon VT737 with high gain that produces a "nice valve distorted" sound

* Through a SansAmp in conjunction with a custom control switch operated by Bellamy to get extreme distortion.

Matt's voice also goes through System 6000 reverbs, a TC delay and an H35000.

Does any other artist use the same type of mic stand? I've only noticed Muse using them.

I've only seen Muse..maybe it's a customized mic stand for Matt's easy access to change the direction of his mic.

The stand looks like the stand of my dad's magnifying glass.

Does any other artist use the same type of mic stand? I've only noticed Muse using them.

Looks custom but many singers that play guitar need one, it stops your strings from hitting the stand and giving a nasty thump on the mic and a scrath on the strings...

also when strumming you don't want to punch over the mic

• 1 year later...

he also sings through it in the studio.....he sings through a Shure SM7 maybe a Neumann u87 but most of the time it's KSM in the pic.

An SM7 is a great mic for the price you pay, and it's cheaper than the KMS 105

Thriller MJ used a SM7 plus Trent Reznor uses one a lot......great rock vocals mic

Stand is a custom built one, things like that which won't fail in a live situation are gonna be a considerable amount of ££££ considering your average metal (material) mic stand is around £15-20

• 4 months later...

Dear all

Muse's microphone stands are K&M 23850!!

Those are just microphone TOPS (which are meant to be desk-mounted), usually in use for podcasting, which gives them a seldom appearance on-stage. I must admit too, that I haven't seen anyone else using 'em so far, but I will for my band as I realized them as giving you much more space to move.

Back to topic:

The only custom thing about Muse's microphone stands is their basis. From there on, it's a normal microphone stand with a K&M 23850 Top mounted instead of the usual extension.

That's all I've got to say. If anyone knows better, feel free to tell!

Archived