Live Video Shit

cheddatom

If you're still considering some tempo-sync'd stuff you might want to have a look at modul8. I've been messing around with it a bit and saw that there's some options and modifiers for BPM based stuff (including an option for tap tempo). I've not looked into any of that in depth because it's not relevant to what I'm doing but could be useful to you.

Thanks Raurie, i'll check that out.

the programme i'm using can synch things to a tap tempo, but just the effects I think, rather than the actual video. I guess another problem is going to be that we never have a constant tempo, so coding a tempo onto a video might be pointless.

One of my favourite party bands has a song called 'take it off', where the band, the band's dancers and half the audience gets naked. Works for me.

We used to put on a sync'd light show because a) we wanted a club feel and b) it was pretty easy with the music we were playing. Never quite got around to adding video but I assume it can be done with ableton live as well...

so ableton ran your lights? And it was a sequence synched by a constantly changing tempo? Or were you playing to a click?

Thanks Raurie, i'll check that out.

the programme i'm using can synch things to a tap tempo, but just the effects I think, rather than the actual video. I guess another problem is going to be that we never have a constant tempo, so coding a tempo onto a video might be pointless.

so ableton ran your lights? And it was a sequence synched by a constantly changing tempo? Or were you playing to a click?

Ableton sent a midi track to a midi->DMX converter which was connected to our lights. We set up various scenes/patterns and triggered them with the music sections.

We were playing to a click but there is a tap tempo button in ableton (which can be mapped to anything)...

Appaz video is pretty easy to edit/cut up in ableton too!

so I would be importing a load of video into ableton, and then setting tempo against each section, on a MIDI track? (i've never used Ableton) and then I would set the tap tempo input to a footswitch and this would modulate the tempo of the video? It sounds like it could work. I'll have a go at ableton at the weekend.

EDIT: Ta for the link, that looks ace!

so I would be importing a load of video into ableton, and then setting tempo against each section, on a MIDI track? (i've never used Ableton) and then I would set the tap tempo input to a footswitch and this would modulate the tempo of the video? It sounds like it could work. I'll have a go at ableton at the weekend.

EDIT: Ta for the link, that looks ace!

You input the clips, 'warp' them (basically cueing various points to the beat) then when you trigger them they will play at whatever tempo you've tapped in.

I haven't done it with video and the warping takes a bit of getting used to anyway but once it's done I think it'll do what you want with a fair bit of flexibility!

Edit: There is a timeline mode (like cubase/protools/etc) but the more interesting way of doing it is 'clip view' where essentially you have a bank of clips that can be triggered on the fly.

OK, sounds like it's the standard few hours of rage trying to get used to a new programme.

Anyway, I'll try it before I start fucking about making a USB footswitch for this primitive programme i'm using at the moment.

I've attached the one song i've finished the video for. You can hear the samples, obviously without video it doesn't make loads of sense but hey ho

battle lines drawn with laptop.mp3

Archived