Bass Cabinet Help!

keefeology

A pre-amp amplifies the signal from your bass up to line level. A power amp amplifies a line level signal to speaker level.

To drive speakers, you need a power amp.

Amp heads have both a pre amp, and a power amp.

Your multi-effects pedal is a kind of pre-amp. What is your cab? Some people would buy a proper bass head, and plug the multi-effects into there. Others would just buy a power amp.

You can send to a line with something like the bass pod xt live, or to an amp, but you still need the poweramp to amplify to your speaker.

With the X3 you also have a direct out which you could use to put your signal through to the PA, and just get your bass sound back on monitor (or in-ear). Loads of cover bands use that method because they have loads of different pre-sets on their FX pedals and don't really need the bass on stage, just an in-ear sound.

I've been playing drums to a click recently, and it's made me realise how weird tempo is. There's one creepjoint song i'm working on, and it's like for the choruses, the click is bang on, then for the start and end sections of the verses, the click is dragging, but for the middle section of the verses the click is really pushing.

Obviously this is all in my head because the click is constant, but it does mean that I accent these sections differently, which might influence the bassist.

If you then go through the same exercise with the bassist, and he decides that the click is pushing him for the verses except the middle where it's dragging him, then the bass and drums aren't going to lock in.

Does that make sense?

Archived