Bellahouston, Glasgow - 23rd June 2023

pluginspace

Hi everyone!!

This will be my first Muse concert in a while and I'm very excited😆

I've never been to a show at Bellahouston so I wanted to ask folks who might know more than me:

1. Given that this is a park, what exactly does 'gates open' mean. What gates? and where will they put up gates?

2. Relating to the above, I plan to arrive before opening to queue for a good view (I'm on the short side, this is biggie for me), how does queuing work at Bellahouston?

3. Anyone know what kind of food options (and pricing) they might have?

I'm hoping for some spectacular pyro since this is an outdoor event 🎇

Thanks folks :)

Hi - there will be fencing around the whole event area and this is only a section of the park as in the image below.  This area will have an entrance so ‘gates open’ means when access to the site begins.  Queuing will start at the entrance to the site presumably.  

My previous experience of any live outdoor show is that it’s all burgers, burgers, burgers.  Maybe some falafel for vegans but ‘street food’ is getting more diverse these days.  There was a poke stall at the Murrayfield concerts recently. We are going for some decent food in Glasgow before we arrive !

Hope you have a great time and make sure you have a something waterproof for the expected rain.  Am sure there will be decent pyro this being Muse!  There definitely is for the start on WOTP.  

IMG_3084.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, troubleonline said:

Hi - there will be fencing around the whole event area and this is only a section of the park as in the image below.  This area will have an entrance so ‘gates open’ means when access to the site begins.  Queuing will start at the entrance to the site presumably.  

My previous experience of any live outdoor show is that it’s all burgers, burgers, burgers.  Maybe some falafel for vegans but ‘street food’ is getting more diverse these days.  There was a poke stall at the Murrayfield concerts recently. We are going for some decent food in Glasgow before we arrive !

Hope you have a great time and make sure you have a something waterproof for the expected rain.  Am sure there will be decent pyro this being Muse!  There definitely is for the start on WOTP.  

IMG_3084.jpeg

Thank yooou! This is really useful and much appreciated :)

• Like 1

Current Met Office forecast for Bellahouston:

weather.jpg

So back to warm and sticky from soaking and sticky, but those 50% predictions of rain are still worrying. Think I may be wearing thinner, quicker-drying trousers rather than jeans. Over an hour on the train back east in soaked jeans isn't something to look forward to.🥴

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MUSEologist said:

Current Met Office forecast for Bellahouston:

weather.jpg

So back to warm and sticky from soaking and sticky, but those 50% predictions of rain are still worrying. Think I may be wearing thinner, quicker-drying trousers rather than jeans. Over an hour on the train back east in soaked jeans isn't something to look forward to.🥴

We are staying over instead of train but will be doing similar clothing wise plus have bought some of those disposable rain ponchos.  Can also be surprisingly good at keeping you warm in cooler temps but also seems when I am prepared with them it often doesn’t rain as expected so fingers crossed.  Just hope the ground doesn’t end up a mud bath.  
Anyway am getting very excited - first Muse gig since Manchester in 2019 and canny wait! 

18 minutes ago, mikeyadams said:

due on at 21:20 with a 23:00 curfew..

Geez, that would suck  big time!  Bad enough if the set is that short but the last train I can catch from Dumbreck and still rush from Queen St to Central for the last train home is 23:26 and that would be cutting it fine even if it departs on time. 

Curfew for Bellahouston is normally 22:45 AFAIK. 

Edited by MUSEologist

2 minutes ago, MUSEologist said:

Geez, that would suck  big time!  Bad enough if the set is that short but the last train I can catch from Dumbreck and still rush from Queen St to Central for the last train home is 23:26 and that would be cutting it fine even if it departs on time. 

Curfew for Bellahouston is normally 22:45 AFAIK. 

Curfew is definitely 23:00 for this one and Scotrail have confirmed they're putting extra trains and carriages on but I can't see any times for them. They've just said to buy tickets in advance on their app...

12 minutes ago, mikeyadams said:

Curfew is definitely 23:00 for this one and Scotrail have confirmed they're putting extra trains and carriages on but I can't see any times for them. They've just said to buy tickets in advance on their app...

I saw that and have my tix. Hopefully they manage the queues well otherwise it's up to the bus station from QS and extra expense. I didn't see any sign of extra trains  either  but then I never travel that route.  Extra carriages should help buextra trains won't unless they get me to Central before 23:00...

Until then, sitting in Tim Horton's trying  not to worry for now! 

Edited by MUSEologist
  • Like 1

Yeah, I feel your anxiety! I'm now wondering whether to just take the car and dump it somewhere.

They don't seem to have published times for these extra trains and just said there will be some system in place to manage the queues, but its starting to sound like a shambles...

• Like 1

it certainly seems unfair that most gigs on the tour are getting 2 hours and 25 songs whilst Glasgow and a couple of others only got 90 minutes and 20 songs.

Plymouth, May 25th

Glasgow, June 23rd

Incidentally, I thought that Chris and Dom both looked pretty drained during the gig, not that I thought it affected their performances. 40 gigs into a 50 gig tour probably has that affect though.😴 Also, it's fair to say that was the first time I'd seen them live since the Drones gig in Glasgow, so we've all aged 7 years.🫣

Whilst waiting for the train back home at Central, I chatted to 3 guys who were dressed to the nines (evening wear, velvet tux, highland dress) and joked they were overdressed for a Muse gig. To my surprise, one of them told me he thought they were great. Not sure if he was 100% serious, but I was fairly convinced and it was nice to hear.👍

Edited by MUSEologist
typo
  • Haha 2

@MUSEologistSo it sounds like you were on train back to Edinburgh whilst we were still waiting in a queue for the Happy Bus to Buchanan St Station (near our hotel).  Didn’t get on a bus until nearly midnight! 

We really enjoyed Twin Atlantic set.  Didn’t know their stuff before but made a point of checking them out a couple of weeks ago and got into a few of their songs which helped.  

We were quite close to the stage (MB side)  and loved the start but by end of Compliance we decided to move to the side a bit for a break from the moshing.  Husband went to the bar and we never found each other again until the end which kinda of spoiled it for me as spent more time looking out for him than watching Muse.  

I wonder if the shorter set was due to the promoters. I know it’s not badged as Summer Sessions anymore but same promoter.  We saw them in Belfast at Boucher Road playing fields in 2917 and it was a similar set up and also a shorter set.  At least this time they played Plug in Baby.  Last time we saw them was at Manchester Etihad Stadium in 2019 and it was 2 hours.  Upset we didn’t get Verona last night but overall had a great day.

Drones tour at the Hydro is one of my favourite ever Muse gigs. 

@troubleonline

Yeah, I was dreading having to leave early (did that a few years ago at the Springsteen gig at Hampden only to discover afterwards there were extra busses running!). Made it from the end of the set (without edging out beforehand) to Dumbreck station in 6 minutes flat - most people probably took 10 minutes just to get to the path through the park from where I started.😁 ) The platform was already rammed and I only spotted 2 staff members - so much for the queuing control - and the train was just pulling in as I made it down the ramp to the platform. Had to stand onboard but as it was only for one stop, who cares? At least getting the first post-gig train meant I could take a more gentle stroll up to Queen St instead of rushing, though I was still sweating. Hoped to have a freshen up and put my new (and dry) t-shirt on but the toilets were closed.😒

So yeah, I was sitting on the train home at 23:45.

I thought both Twin Atlantic and The Warning were good choices. The latter are very mature performers for their ages but then they've been playing since they were barely into single figures age-wise. In fact, the only slight niggle was their version of Enter Sandman sounded a bit tame compared to the original, though I probably would have said it was very good if I had never heard Metallica's version.

We must have been reasonably close as I was on the same side, maybe about 18-20 metres from the front of the stage (as opposed to the barrier) and a good distance from the runway to get a view without the jostling. The guys in the circle were a real nuisance at times.  Moshing is fine, pogoing is fine, but endangering others by ramming into everyone around you (despite the warnings) is not on. Plus, it made filming even more of a challenge as I was sometimes holding my camera one-handed whilst trying to protect myself and the more vulnerable girls around me from being overwhelmed.

Interesting point on the promoters. Not sure why  they'd want a shorter set but you never know. It was certainly frustrating that the stage seemed to be all ready to go and we had to wait what appeared 20 minutes longer than necessary for Muse to appear. At times like these I feel like the price you pay for a gig should be related to the time the main act performs for with a 90 minute set costing less that a 2 hr one on the same tour.🤔🙂

By the way, my new avatar is a preview of the photographs to come. One of my favourite shots of the night when Matt made that crazy stare!

Just for fun, a shot of Matt looking like the microphone has just assaulted him:

P1120232.JPG

Edited by MUSEologist
  • Like 1

Well I guess the promoters wouldn’t need to pay as much for a 90 min set as as a 120 min set.  Just my suspicions though rather than anything based in fact.  I see they are due onstage at MK tonight at 8.30pm 🙄
I didn’t take many photos or video at all partly because of the moshing but this gives a sense of where we were for 1st half.

IMG_6063.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@troubleonline

Looks like I was about 5 metres further back, almost behind the cameraman in the black WotP hoodie to the right of your shot. Screengrab from one of my videos:

image.png.826659ff665abad64da73434aa8de12c.png

I'll need to test my camera now it's had a day to recover, because the microphones (being situated on the top) became waterlogged and unfortunately affected the sound quality as time went on.😟 I even had to remove the UV filter I use to protect the lens as condensation formed due to the humidity.

If only I could have sneaked my pro-spec gear in. As it was, 3 members of security looked at my camera before I convinced them it was a simple non-interchangeable lens unit. The fact it has an optical zoom equivalent of a 20-1200 on a 35mm camera just doesn't compute with people with limited photographic knowledge. Just as a camera with interchangeable lenses isn't automatically 'professional', a camera with a built-in lens isn't necessarily a 'toy' one.😄 Granted, my Canon R6 has massively better resolution and noise control for a far less 'grainy' image, but I'd have to crop the image to get as 'close' to the action. Swings and roundabouts...

@MUSEologist   I’ve snuck decent lens into concerts before but just make so with my iPhone these days.  Hope your camera recovers from rain.  

I can see my husband in your photo in the bottom left and I think myself that might be me in a rain poncho to the right of the third arm in the air!  Are you in this one? I only took it to try to see how far the crowd went back.

IMG_6060.jpeg

Edited by troubleonline